Displacement Help

General discussion on Thea Render for SketchUp

Moderator: Frederik

Displacement Help

Postby sgb1456 » Fri May 03, 2019 8:02 pm

Hello,

I have been having a lot of trouble getting displacement maps to display correctly. I cannot seem to get the edges to meet consistently.

I have tried:

RoundedCorner
Dividing the surfaces
Multiple settings (Depth, Center, Offset) and normal smoothing.

I have no idea what to do next. Any input would be appreciated. I have attached the render image, as well as a SS of Sketchup geometry with my Thea Settings.

Thanks.

sgb1456 

Re: Displacement Help

Postby LukeKoudys » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:32 pm

Hi sgb1456, it looks like a problem with the texture mapping. The displacement map by default will match the sketchup texture's UV map, and anywhere it doesn't quite line up you will see seams like this.
The simplest approach might be to model some irregularities with geometry, and with normal/bump maps you'll get pretty close to the same look.
I've had good luck with Fredo's ThruPaint and the SketchUV extensions for getting continuous UV mapping and good-looking displacement, you could also try WrapR (although it's not free like the others).
Sketchup doesn't really have great UV tools by default to get the texture seamless around a box like this, although you might be able to do it with the default texture positioning tools.
Here's an example with SketchUV's planar mapping:
Continuous UV SU.jpg

And rendered with a displaced stone texture:
planar uv map render.png

LukeKoudys 
Premium Member
Premium Member

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Thea