Preferred engine for archviz?

General discussion on Thea Render for SketchUp

Moderator: Frederik

Preferred engine for archviz?

Postby ark » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:42 pm

Have been playing around with Thea for some weeks now, trying to tweak each engine...
So just out of curiosity - which one of Theas render engines do you prefer for archviz?

Have a nice weekend all of you :)

ark 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Preferred engine for archviz?

Postby solo » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:27 am

I only use Presto MC, does everything I need.
http://www.solos-art.com

I'm better with polys than words
solo 
Global Moderator

Postby Pixero » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:20 am

I almost only use Presto AO since it's faster and you can make it look like Presto MC but still have more control and add AO if needed.
Pixero 

Postby Hieru » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:52 am

Presto MC for exteriors and some interiors. Presto AO for interiors with more challenging lighting, or if I need fast NPR output.
Hieru 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby ark » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:20 pm

Pixero wrote:I almost only use Presto AO since it's faster and you can make it look like Presto MC but still have more control and add AO if needed.

Pixero - What settings do you use for Presto AO? ...can't seem to make it look like I want :?

:D Just tried to turn off AO and the light looks much more realistic! I thought it had to be on... :P

ark 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Pixero » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:30 am

If you turn AO off and up the diffuse depth it's very much like Presto MC. Then add a little bit of AO if needed. Try turning off all lightsources and sky and just use the AO settings (Distance and Intensity) to see how much and where it contributes to the lighting.
I even think Thomasz (Thea4SU author) wrote somewhere in the Thea forum that it was the same behind the scenes. Can't find that post now though so I might be mistaken.
Pixero 

Postby ark » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:05 pm

Pixero wrote:If you turn AO off and up the diffuse depth it's very much like Presto MC. Then add a little bit of AO if needed. Try turning off all lightsources and sky and just use the AO settings (Distance and Intensity) to see how much and where it contributes to the lighting.
I even think Thomasz (Thea4SU author) wrote somewhere in the Thea forum that it was the same behind the scenes. Can't find that post now though so I might be mistaken.

Thank you Pixero :)
I've now been playing with AO settings, and can see a little AO can be beneficial for the scene - adding more light.
I didn't try using only AO as light source, so I'll try that!

At first I just used the standard settings (10/10) and that's why I couldn't make the light in the scene look more realistic.

ark 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby valerostudio » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:52 pm

AO helps as a cheat on an dark interior but you will lose some of that 'realistic' feel. Try a balance of a little bit of AO and setup some lighting rigs in your scene to get the most realistic look.

valerostudio 

Postby l_breault » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:59 pm

I am also a big Presto Mc fan. Probably use it about 90% of the time.
Thanks,
Leo Breault
www.breaultdesignstudio.com
l_breault 
Premium Member
Premium Member

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Thea