Max and obj with Thea  Topic is solved

General discussion on Thea Render for SketchUp

Moderator: Frederik

Max and obj with Thea

Postby pepe29 » Sun May 14, 2017 11:20 pm

Hi Thea Users, I’m new to Thea 4 SketchUp and need some help to figure out what is the best way to work with obj and max models. I’d like to use some plants models from xfrog, evermotion etc. but most of the available models are the obj, max or similar ones. Not too much for Thea 4 SketchUp users. Any suggestion what is the best procedure to use these format with Thea 4 SketchUp? How can I create Thea model and proxy from these formats?
Any help/advice; video tutorial recommendation would be much appreciated.
Thanks a lot
Piotr

pepe29 

Re: Max and obj with Thea  Topic is solved

Postby JQL » Mon May 15, 2017 9:38 am

The fastest way is through thea studio.

You open the obj or 3ds file in thea.

If your obj or 3ds comes out black, you'll have to edit materials and assign the textures like diffuse, translucency for leaves (use diffuse texture here for a fast setup), bump, and if you want reflection and roughness too. You might also want to change pivot point (on the viewport hit "P").

There is also, at Thea forums, a beta FBX/DAE converter. It also works but it's still beta. If all goes well it assigns the maps to the right slots and saves them to a specified folder.

The best results come from tweaking materials, the fastest renders will only have the diffuse slot.

After import and tweaking you can turn it into a proxy by dragging from the models list into a library.

Pay attention because your specific xfrog model might already have a version in Thea format. Before dowloading check in the formats list.

Then you can use T4SU browser to seek the file and import it to sketchup. You will import a box at the size of your tree and when hitting render it will render as a tree.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Max and obj with Thea

Postby pepe29 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:34 pm

Hi JQL, thanks a lot for your suggestion.Very helpful. I'll give it a try.

Piotr

pepe29 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Thea