HDRI Backgrounds

General discussion on Thea Render for SketchUp

Moderator: Frederik

HDRI Backgrounds

Postby sfto1 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:22 pm

Hello All,
Not sure if this is the best place for this, but here goes.
When using an HDRI, can the background image be turned off, and just the lighting data used?
This is not just Thea specific, but meant as a general question for the various rendering programs.

There are times the lighting is interesting but the background image is not anywhere near accurate for context.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: HDRI Backgrounds

Postby HornOxx » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:37 pm

Hi
for my everyday tasks I usually use Shaderlight for render tasks. - There I usually use HDR-lighting which I always prefer against Physical Sky lighting or native SketchUp Sun lighting. Yes, it's just like you say: The use of HDR-lighting affects only the lighting itself there, but not the selection of any background setup although the HDR can be chosen for background as well.

PS: Mostly I avoid any background in my renders completely but render my scenes with alpha channel to mount the finish in PSD for example.
never trust a skinny cook
HornOxx 

Postby sfto1 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:58 pm

HornOxx wrote:Hi
for my everyday tasks I usually use Shaderlight for render tasks. - There I usually use HDR-lighting which I always prefer against Physical Sky lighting or native SketchUp Sun lighting. Yes, it's just like you say: The use of HDR-lighting affects only the lighting itself there, but not the selection of any background setup although the HDR can be chosen for background as well.

PS: Mostly I avoid any background in my renders completely but render my scenes with alpha channel to mount the finish in PSD for example.

Thanks HornOxx.

Does anyone have any experience with Twilight Render? Thea?
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby solo » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:16 pm

In Thea you can put the HDRI in the Illumination slot and any background in the background slot, even a flat color.
http://www.solos-art.com

If you see a toilet in your dreams do not use it.
solo 
Global Moderator

Postby sfto1 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:06 pm

solo wrote:In Thea you can put the HDRI in the Illumination slot and any background in the background slot, even a flat color.

Thanks Solo :thumb:
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pbacot » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:07 pm

In Twilight I don't think you can have it do light only. I wish. You can run a quick alpha render (just another preset in the list) and use that to help erase the background in an image editor.
MacOSX Mojave ShetchUp Pro v19 Twilight Pro v2 M2 Kerkythea PowerCADD
pbacot 
Top SketchUcator

Postby sfto1 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:55 pm

pbacot wrote:In Twilight I don't think you can have it do light only. I wish. You can run a quick alpha render (just another preset in the list) and use that to help erase the background in an image editor.

Thanks. I appreciate the info. I have played around with Twilight, and now more than ever am leaning to jump into the Thea pool.
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Thea