First Renders - Feedback & Advice Welcome

General discussion on Thea Render for SketchUp

Moderator: Frederik

First Renders - Feedback & Advice Welcome

Postby lilchaka » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:06 am

Subaru Outback 2015 -Scene 1.jpg
Subaru Outback 2015 -Scene 2.jpg
Hello;

Attached are JPEGs of my first attempts at using Thea. These were created with the SU Plugin, OS X. The car is a professionally purchased model from Humster. The point is to demonstrate a vehicle signage layout, and the logo and graphics were applied in SketchUp first.

I realize that some of the materials are a little too basic (the grass, the stonework on the house) and any suggestions on sources for additional high-quality textures and materials is welcome.

But the main point of the image is the car itself. The model is basically unmodified from when it was purchased, with the exception being that I substituted the chrome (around the front grille, the window trim, the tire lug nuts) with a Thea material (chromium). Maybe looks a little too bluish, but it’s the closest to chrome I could find quickly. Prior to doing that substitution those chrome parts were coming out looking very much like the rest of the front end grille (grayish plastic).

Thus far I’ve made adjustments to settings like the Ambient Occlusion (lowered intensity), Sun Power (lowered to .8 or .9), Emittance (changed to Temperature, 6387), Shutter (moved to 300), and that’s really about it. The sun is taking the settings direct from SU. No IBL. Presto AO.

I’ve been told that I’m starting out with very difficult subject matter as a learning exercise – a white car in bright sunlight, and so I’m sure longtime users will see numerous areas for improvement. But that’s why I’m posting – first attempt, still learning, and I welcome any tips or feedback (even brutal!). Okay, maybe not brutal. But my goal is to get better, so any suggestions welcome.

Thanks for looking.
"I am a rooster illusion."
lilchaka 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: First Renders - Feedback & Advice Welcome

Postby NigeC » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:13 am

There is some really nice paving materials on the Thea site, grass grab yourself Skatter while its on sale :)
the headlights really need some love and it depends on how they are made
Black plastic there is rubber material in car paint or there is some amazing plastics here along with the paving
https://www.thearender.com/site/index.p ... urces.html
“It’s only impossible if you stop and think about it!”
NigeC 

Postby lilchaka » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:33 pm

Yes, I’ve got all of those libraries downloaded from Thea. The grass in the model is even one of theirs, I just didn’t do anything to it except place it there. Was surprised it would repeat so much. Maybe I need to scale it.

The headlights were a surprise to me, since you can see what they look like in the model on Humster’s site (JPEG attached). Of course, I understand that this is where the real skill comes in – modifying each part as-needed – but I guess I thought that since all the parts already had the identical surfaces & materials applied when I purchased it (as in the attached pic from Humster) that they’d render correctly for me in Thea too.

Not sure what you mean about the black parts on the car. I know I’m struggling with the “glossiness” factor of the car itself. I think, even in bright sun, that it might need to be more “shiny” than it is right now. Not certain how to do that either.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Skatter sale.
lilchaka 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby lilchaka » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:59 pm

Just an update for anyone interested …

Making some progress (I think). I’ve taken some of the advice given here and concentrated on materials quite a bit. I think it’s greatly improved since I started(!) but I’m sure you guys will still see things to improve.

I made some changes to the background, but again, the focus is on the car. I replaced a significant amount of the car’s materials, using the available Thea materials. I’ve also played with the ISO and Shutter speeds as well as color temperature and amount of ray tracing.

I don’t think I can replace the white material of the car itself because I did the application of the logo and artwork textures in SketchUp first. Not sure what material I’d use to substitute for the car’s white finish anyway, but even if I get pointed in the right direction on that I’m pretty sure I’d then have to go and reapply all that artwork. If I can’t get the car to “pop” a little more then maybe that’ll be my only option (?).

Well, I think it’s getting better but I’m sure I still have a ways to go. Advice welcome.
lilchaka 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby ntxdave » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:31 pm

IMO this is a good bit better. Especially when you look at the headlights and fog lights and grill work. :thumb:
ntxdave 

Postby valerostudio » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:33 pm

Looking great. Lose the kid and the random plant. Proxies are cool but there is a time and a place for them.

I would use IBL lighting for your scene, you will get better lighting and reflections. Grab a high res HDR file from the many HDR pay sites. The higher the res, the better IMO. Make sure that you go through every material on the car and either set it as a plastic, metal, or glass, which is really all a car is made up of. I would make sure you have a nice wax job on that car so it feels realistic. Look at how the car paints are setup in the Thea material library.

valerostudio 

Postby lilchaka » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:42 am

Okay, I think I’m making some progress, especially after doing this for only a couple of weeks.

valerostudio, thanks for the suggestions.

I added one of the sky images from Thea and turned on IBL, but I kept it turned off in the Illumination panel so I could continue to use the sun as defined in Sketchup. Also, I actually WAS able to replace the basic white of the car body by selecting “Car Paint” in Thea – I was quite happy that doing so didn’t affect the presence of the logo and artwork applications (which were originally applied using ThruPaint in SU). I also unchecked “Metallic” in Car Paint for the time being, but I will try turning that on again next (though it seemed to provide TOO MUCH of a metallic effect – and I’m not yet skilled enough to know how to adjust materials in order to lower the strength of something like that).

As can be seen, I obviously did some work in Skatter as well – I think the grass looks pretty good (is there a way to change the color of the green within Skatter?). And since I last posted I went to significant effort on the headlights, taillights, and the small lighted section on the rear view mirrors. So far I think they look okay in certain views, though I am definitely NOT pleased with the colored portions – the orange part in the headlights and the red overall covering the taillights. The red is a translucent plastic from Thea materials (STP_TL_17) and the orange is “thin glass orange”, also from Thea. But both of them just seem to sort of die as far as reflections and bounce are concerned. Any suggestions on those items in particular are welcome.

And as usual, any feedback or critiques would be great. I’m here to learn.

Thanks to everybody for taking the time.
lilchaka 
Premium Member
Premium Member

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Thea