Thea or VRay

General discussion on Thea Render for SketchUp

Moderator: Frederik

Thea or VRay

Postby titusc » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:35 am

Hi I'm still learning to use VRay but am finding it difficult to use, and documentation is thin for Sketchup. Just joined the site yesterday and saw Thea advertising here so have checked it out. Looks like the rendered sample images are just as stunning as VRay (thought VRay is the best), documentation is better (there is a manual at https://www.thearender.com/site/version ... index.html), and price is more affordable.

Can I ask what are your experiences and views of Thea and any benefits / advantages you see over VRay?

Thanks.

titusc 

Re: Thea or VRay

Postby NigeC » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:08 pm

the big advantage is Thea Studio and plugin development goes hand in hand so any updates to Studio are applied to plugins almost instantly
It would be easy to rave on about how good Thea and the plugin are but only you can decide that ;)
“It’s only impossible if you stop and think about it!”
NigeC 

Postby solo » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:13 pm

I'm a beta tester for Thea so my opinion will be biased.

Give it a go, it's easy to use and if you have a good GPU then the Presto MC engine is all you need, fastest render engine I have ever used.
http://www.solos-art.com

If you see a toilet in your dreams do not use it.
solo 
Global Moderator

Postby JQL » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:37 pm

I'm also a beta tester for Thea.

If you ask us, we love it. But vray is one of the oldest more mature renderers around. It's widely adopted, it's widely known and almost every artist used it eventually. You'll have more materials, more good examples of great work done with it, more tutorials and resources... basically it beats Thea in a lot of things.

Even so I believe Thea is better and getting better as time goes by... especially Thea for sketchup.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Pixero » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:02 am

Compared to the current version of Vray I would definitely choose Thea for SketchUp.
If you have a Nvidia GPU you can render with Presto that can use both GPU and CPU at the same time.
I don't know any other renderer that can do this.
Try it. Set up times are really fast and results are great.
Pixero 

Postby peerman » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:39 am

Pixero wrote:Compared to the current version of Vray I would definitely choose Thea for SketchUp.
If you have a Nvidia GPU you can render with Presto that can use both GPU and CPU at the same time.
I don't know any other renderer that can do this.
Try it. Set up times are really fast and results are great.

Yes it would be great to render with GPU. Unfortunately Thea still doesn't support Open CL. So my AMD card is useless. Vray RT does support Open CL. But as soon as Thea starts to support it, I'll definitely download a demo.
iMac i7 4,2GHz, 32GB RAM, OS X 10.13.5, Sketchup 2018 Pro, ArchiCAD 21, V-Ray 3.6

peerman 

Postby srx » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:04 pm

Try Thea4Su with proper GPU+CPU and you'll see
www.saurus.rs
srx 

Postby sfto1 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:12 pm

Is Presto rendering engine included in Thea for Sketchup or is it a separate purchase?
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Hieru » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:00 pm

It's included (along with three other engine types).
Hieru 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby sfto1 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:59 pm

Hieru wrote:It's included (along with three other engine types).

Awesome! Thanks for the reply.
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Pixero » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:21 pm

A note, Open CL support is in the works and in closed Beta testing if I'm not mistaken.
Pixero 

Postby JQL » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:10 pm

Presto works exclusivelly in the CPU too.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby solo » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:37 pm

JQL wrote:Presto works exclusivelly in the CPU too.

In case that confuses anyone, Presto runs on either CPU, GPU or both CPU and GPU, you can choose based on you machine setup. You can even select the priority of one or the other based on what your machine setup is.
http://www.solos-art.com

If you see a toilet in your dreams do not use it.
solo 
Global Moderator

Postby JQL » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:45 am

solo wrote:In case that confuses anyone, Presto runs on either CPU, GPU or both CPU and GPU, you can choose based on you machine setup. You can even select the priority of one or the other based on what your machine setup is.

That's better... thanks!
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Thea