Faster Renders Machine update

General discussion on Thea Render for SketchUp

Moderator: Frederik

Faster Renders Machine update

Postby cmeed » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:18 am

Hello All,
I want faster render times, who doesen't.
So I would like to know how to go about this. I use alot of lights in my models 99% of the time no sun. Balancing AO with spotlights and time to deadline. batch rendering has been a wondrous advance for TheaSketchup as have been the introduction of directional lights. Thank you!

My models tend to have 30 -50 lights, 30m 40m sq. 30-70mb in size
Inside i have
IntelCore i7-2600cpu @ 3.4GHz
24gb Ram
Geforce 770 4gb
1000watt power

I recently updated the ram to 24mb so I think thats comparable to a good setup, could having more cores speed things for me? any advice welcome

i would like to start doing animations HD flythoughs and the such.
With lights on would this be a stretch for TheaSU? i tend to have tight deadlines but leaving the computer overnight to render could work.
cmeed 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Faster Renders Machine update

Postby JQL » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:28 am

If you use Presto, GPU has more influence per € than the CPU.

Also you can add multiple GPU's fairly easilly to a system, while adding CPU's might be harder.

If you want a faster CPU you probably have to replace your current one or have a new Motherboard that allows multiple CPU's. If you want a new GPU you can add it to the existing setup...

You can also think about network rendering where adding CPU's and GPU's depends on adding new computers.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby valerostudio » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:49 pm

I would think that you'll get much faster speeds with a new GTX Titan card.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop ... -gtx-titan

valerostudio 

Postby NigeC » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:09 pm

I'd be looking to see if all those lights are needed, you can often use passive emitters and just localize a light source.. it really depends if the lights are close to walls or just lighting a large area
If the camera is moving you can get away with allsorts of optimization to speed stuff up, I would do test renders in Studio and see if any lights are causing artifacts with Relight

I lose the will to live if renders take over a minute a frame lol, but I don't have sole rights over this PC

On the Thea Forum there is some good tuts on lighting and how to fake it if need be
“It’s only impossible if you stop and think about it!”
NigeC 

Postby cmeed » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:07 am

Nig, (anyone) if you have time (or inclination) heres a model of a recent commission to have a look at how I work - we didn't get it so its ok to post - I'd welcome your feed back on lighting and stream lining.Its a TV chat show. from start to finish 2 days Ive included a image of the photoshoped final result.
The columns were going to have lights in the orange squiggle but time ran away and i had to fake them in PS.

by posting just the model will all the thea settings come across or do i need to give you something else along with it?

dropbox : https://www.dropbox.com/s/qc2n10dx0hwkz ... T.skp?dl=0
cmeed 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby NigeC » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:11 pm

are the curtains usually lit top and bottom?, are they LEDs or something else?
The emitters seem to clean up quickly its the ies lights which take time, I think I'd be using invisible mesh emitters slightly off the ground/ceiling, a single one for each curtain
“It’s only impossible if you stop and think about it!”
NigeC 

Postby cmeed » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:44 pm

Thanks for having a look, the up lighters would be individual lights in reality. They probably would be set into the floor. The main reason for IES lights there are to get the pool of light that you would get from a real light on the curtains. Also it's quick to plonk in an ies. Easy on the eye but maybe I should make my own component that will do the same and be quicker. Noted. Thanks.
Only today I was looking at the thea web site learning about the cone and soft shadows creating noise when intersecting meshes.
cmeed 
Premium Member
Premium Member

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Thea