Thea for Sketchup or Thea Standalone?

General discussion on Thea Render for SketchUp

Moderator: Frederik

Thea for Sketchup or Thea Standalone?

Postby sfto1 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:09 pm

I've been at Thea's website and see that there is a standalone studio version and a Thea for Sketchup version. The SU version is more expensive, so now I have a few questions:

Does the SU version contain the same features as the standalone, but simply works within SU, or is it a version with different features?

I am looking for a reasonably priced high quality rendering program that also has an animation editor. Can I accomplish this with Thea for SU, or do I need the Standalone Studio version too?

I'm asking here because there seems to be many SU users that use this program(s).
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Thea for Sketchup or Thea Standalone?

Postby JQL » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:22 pm

Thea 4 SU is the main plugin for Thea Studio that you should use with sketchup.

I say you SHOULD because you can avoid it, though it doesn't pay off.

One of the biggest strenghts Thea has, for sketchup of course, it's Thea4SU. It's a very robust and full option rendering plugin that simply works.

When you purchase T4SU you are buying Thea Studio too.

However you can use any 3D modelling app that can export OBJ or 3DS you're safe to go with Studio. You can render it there and some hardcore users like SandroS (wich is not using sketchup) use Studio Standalone to render from exported files. I believe he uses Modo.

In terms of productivity though, you'll be miles away from people using the plugin as:
- You can't render interactivelly in Sketchup Window;
- You can't have Thea Materials edited from within sketchup;
- You can't have proxies system;
- You can't have access to Thea Browser... Etc.
- You have no support for Sketchup Sun Interactivity;
- Also you should note that without T4SU, Sketchup plugins compatible with Thea, like Skatter, won't work.For your special needs you should be aware that, Thea4SU already supports Animator from Fredo, wich is under development, meaning that once it's available you'll have a full animation suite inside Sketchup with rendering capabilities given by Thea.
- The list could go on and on, but this means you'd be hindered... a lot!

Now if you only buy Thea Studio, you are only entitled to what you can export and then you can keep working with your model from inside Studio. You can do a lot of stuff, and you can remodel and reexport to obj 3ds and change it using a merge feature that exists in studio, but it will all be very slow motion as most of us simply do what we need from within sketchup directly.

Another thing to consider is that if you buy a plugin, (wich always comes bundled with a Studio Licence), or if you only buy a Studio licence, you are always entitled to the Thea for Blender plugin, wich is free for Thea users.

And blender has all the animation you can imagine.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby sfto1 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:31 pm

Thank you JQL for the thoughtful and thorough answer.
This was helpful. :D
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby JQL » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:17 pm

No problem, just glad I could help. I hope I hear from your thea endeavours once again.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bob James » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:33 pm

if you only buy a Studio licence, you are always entitled to the Thea for Blender plugin, wich is free for Thea users.

I didn't know that!! :o
i7-4930K 3.4Ghz, 2x GTX780 6GB, 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC, OCZ Vertex 4 500GB, WD Black 3TB, 32TB NAS, 4x 27" Monitors, SpaceMouse Pro, X-keys XK-60
Bob James 
Premium Member
Premium Member

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Thea