Troubles using Presto (MC)

General discussion on Thea Render for SketchUp

Moderator: Frederik

Troubles using Presto (MC)

Postby Stonecold » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:22 pm

Hello everyone.

Looks like I got some issues with Presto render. Up untill now, I used old SU-2-Thea plugin and Presto worked ok, producing nearly unbiased results in a few minutes. However, my model grown too large (and buggy, lol) to be exported old way. So, the new Thea for SU was used. Model exported ok, Unbiased rendering engine works flawlesly, as allways. However, when I try Presto, it works correctly only if the sun is the only light in the scene. When I add another light sourses, light from them is rendered ok, while the sun is rendered VERY slowly (I mean even Unbiased TR1 works like two-three times faster). Looks like I`m missing something, but I got no experience to find what exactly.

Thanx in advice for your help.
~ 30 minutes in Unbiased TR1

~ 10 minutes in Presto MC Note that radiators rendered ok, while sun is almost absent.

Stonecold 

Re: Troubles using Presto (MC)

Postby JQL » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:40 pm

Can you share your render and environment settings? Some screenshots would do.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Stonecold » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:25 am

Environment settings:

Render settings (in channels all checkboxes are empty):

Stonecold 

Postby JQL » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:23 pm

I can't figure out what's happening. The only thing unusual I find its your environment is made only of low range images, which I never used with presto.

Maybe you should power them up? (While keeping background at 1.5)

I think thea balances light sources on presto to optimize it. Maybe it assumes the sun should be lowered when IBL is present but your jpg environment isn't powering the image enough.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Stonecold » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:42 pm

Looks like you got the problem more or less right. If I turn the IBL off - model is lighted by ambient light from physical sky (same result if I intensify the IBL, like 10 times), however, the sun itself still renders really slow. Guess, I have to stick with unbiased rendering method, since I got no idea, how to turn that light balance off.

Stonecold 

Postby JQL » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:21 am

I have another guess. You might have your emitters strength too high
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby NigeC » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:05 pm

to me it looks like the material and nothing to do with the sun as the orange looks similar and similar shading
If the material has a procedrual it could be the reason why, without the model its hard to say
Another thing could be the reflections from the ibl but I'd look at the material first, also I'd use Presto AO with AO off.. it'll probably be quicker
“It’s only impossible if you stop and think about it!”
NigeC 

Postby Stonecold » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:57 pm

I have another guess. You might have your emitters strength too high

Lowering emitter material power didn`t help. Radiators almost dark, but the sun still renders very slow.

to me it looks like the material and nothing to do with the sun as the orange looks similar and similar shading
If the material has a procedrual it could be the reason why, without the model its hard to say
Another thing could be the reflections from the ibl but I'd look at the material first, also I'd use Presto AO with AO off.. it'll probably be quicker

Materials of radiators, are just typical emitter (by defailt in Thea) with different glow color. Switched off IBL, reflection, refraction, switched on the sun (it switches off with IBL). Same slow rendering result. My guess, something wrong happens during export with "Thea for SU", since ancient exporter plugin somehow avoiding that problem (but it got a lot of other problems).

Edit. Tried to render the scene in SU, without export. Same problem happens. Well, looks like exporting is not causing the error with sunlight rendering.

Stonecold 

Postby JQL » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:05 pm

You could try creating a simpler scene that displays the issue and share it here or share it directly with Tomasz here or through Thea's forums.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Thea