Blown Away

General discussion on Thea Render for SketchUp

Moderator: Frederik

Blown Away

Postby valerostudio » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:01 pm

I am simply blown away by Thea. As a die hard V-Ray user, I have to say that everything from the ease of use to the forum support has been a absolute pleasure. Thea is light years ahead of the competition. Thanks to the Thea team for making rendering in SketchUp fun again!

valerostudio 

Re: Blown Away

Postby rv1974 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:23 pm

Maybe the Thea's support is great but their gallery is so-so. The Corona\Vray output is the higher league. Is it in your opinion, due to the lack of power users or software limitations?

rv1974 

Postby Hieru » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:38 pm

rv1974 wrote:Maybe the Thea's support is great but their gallery is so-so. The Corona\Vray output is the higher league. Is it in your opinion, due to the lack of power users or software limitations?

It certainly isn't down to any software limitations. There are some very good power users, but just not in the numbers you see with Vray - the user base is simply much smaller.
Hieru 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby nlipovac » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:12 pm

Thea only have smaller user base. As for power, for me personally, it have all i need.
Excellent forum an people willing to help whenever needed. :fro:

nlipovac 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby JQL » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:20 pm

Definetelly it's an user issue.

Most experienced arch viz people are traditionally coming from 3ds and Vray and There's only a fringe of archviz power users using Sketchup... Even those usually stick to Vray.

However, there are a lot of Sketchup users that have just started rendering. Specially architects with almost no Rendering or even 3D experience.

At the time of choosing wich render engine they have definetelly heard of Vray, but some of them think on alternatives. For these Thea presents as a very appealing offer. I started rendering very recently and having tested Thea Presto, it was a no brainer wich engine to choose from.

I strugle between modelling, working on Layout, going to the construction site, have meetings with clients, submiting projects to city hall and draw architectural details.

I don't render final output often that I can show around, but I'm always learning and trying stuff and Thea is a joy to work with.

If I can pull off a decent render output now and then, it's because I have Thea4SU with me...
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby andybot » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:37 pm

Hieru wrote:
rv1974 wrote:Maybe the Thea's support is great but their gallery is so-so. The Corona\Vray output is the higher league. Is it in your opinion, due to the lack of power users or software limitations?

It certainly isn't down to any software limitations. There are some very good power users, but just not in the numbers you see with Vray - the user base is simply much smaller.

Definitely consider that if you compare with vray galleries, you will usually see the best product coming from vray for Max. Vray for SU is the ugly stepchild in the vray family :(
my blog featuring recent projects
andybot 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby valerostudio » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:58 pm

All I am saying is that I have been using Thea more an more recently and I am really enjoying it. Don't judge an engine by the user galleries, I learned that lesson a long time ago with Maxwell and Vue.

valerostudio 

Postby solo » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:04 pm

Glad you joined the Thea family, we are more than just a community. I agree that people do judge a product by it's gallery and Thea does have some gems but unlike Corona and Vray for max it does not have those uber masterpieces made over months of work, most Thea users are production guys, getting it done fast for clients, not necessarily an exhibishinist tool.
http://www.solos-art.com

If you see a toilet in your dreams do not use it.
solo 
Global Moderator

Postby rv1974 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:52 pm

VrayforSU is indeed the poorest Vlado's bastard,
but even with its cropped possibilities one can fabricate stuff at this level:
http://www.labvisualizacion.com/8kgx0h9h0u1m1jz4tmxk7f3fimefii
and it didn't took months of work for sure.
What amuses me I could not see even one 'wow!' Thea output.

rv1974 

Postby cotty » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:59 pm

I don't know Vray, but as a long time forum member I do remember a lot more posts with Vray problems than all other Renderers togehter...
cotty 
Top SketchUcator

Postby JQL » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:14 pm

cotty wrote:I don't know Vray, but as a long time forum member I do remember a lot more posts with Vray problems than all other Renderers togehter...

The logic could be that you have more users you have more problems.

rv1974 wrote:What amuses me I could not see even one 'wow!' Thea output.

That is also very subjective logic and that example of yours really is good. I'd say those guys are Archviz artists without a doubt.

I saw it featured at Ronen Bekerman's site

So take a look at this:

http://www.ronenbekerman.com/12-best-of ... s-of-2015/
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby rspierenburg » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:17 pm

rv1974 wrote:VrayforSU is indeed the poorest Vlado's bastard,
but even with its cropped possibilities one can fabricate stuff at this level:
http://www.labvisualizacion.com/8kgx0h9h0u1m1jz4tmxk7f3fimefii
and it didn't took months of work for sure.

If you actually notice their 'Process' page it looks as if they actually export to 3Ds probably to bypass the 'cropped possibilities'. Not to mention all the time taken in post processing for sure.

Robert

rspierenburg 

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:10 pm

rv1974 wrote:What amuses me I could not see even one 'wow!' Thea output.

What do you think of these?

(plot-paris)

(nektares)
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby JQL » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:37 pm

I'd say let the pros have Vray and 3ds... as long as they let me keep my beloved Sketchup and Thea so I can get my stuff done!
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby nlipovac » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:46 am

JQL wrote:I'd say let the pros have Vray and 3ds... as long as they let me keep my beloved Sketchup and Thea so I can get my stuff done!

My feelings exactly. :enlight:

nlipovac 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Pixero » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:50 pm

JQL wrote:I'd say let the pros have Vray and 3ds... as long as they let me keep my beloved Sketchup and Thea so I can get my stuff done!

But I don't think Giannis and team would mind having a bunch of new customers coming from Vray...
Pixero 

Postby JQL » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:12 pm

Sure, and I think some more pros coming from Vray/Corona, would be amazed at what they could achieve with Thea...

Well, we can also wait for Thea users to grow at that level ourselves! There's nothing stopping us but ourselves really, certainly not Thea and us Sketchupers are getting some nice tools too.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby rv1974 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:27 pm

让百花齐放
;)

rv1974 

Postby valerostudio » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:33 pm

You're judging an engine by other's work? A lot of what you are seeing is Photoshop there too. Try it for yourself. I have seen folks do incredible things with a pencil, it doesn't mean if I pick one up, I am going to be the next Hugh Ferris. Use the tool that does what you want, the way you want it to.

Take a 300MB SketchUp file with Skatter grass, then try to run VRay RT and move around with the client behind your shoulder... that's all I am saying.

valerostudio 

Postby cuttingedge » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:47 pm

I should see more of Thea results to be convinced. I know that VrayforSU is not the best renderer out there and inferior to Vray for Max/ C4d/ Maya . My only hope is for it to catch up with vray in other platforms. not sure if due to SU limitations. As my standard goes higher and higher.. Im hoping to be blown away too.. Maybe I'should look up for more Thea rendered images..

cuttingedge 

Postby valerostudio » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:38 pm

Anyone on here who has been around since the 1.05.30 days knows it may take a while before we hear or see something about VR4SU catching up to it's big brother in Max. Don't get me wrong, VRay and Corona are great engines. I need something that works in SketchUp and keeps my projects moving along quickly. Clients want higher quality, faster, and more images. I still use VRay in my pipeline, but Thea is getting used more and more each day.

valerostudio 

Postby Pixero » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:46 pm

I agree that there are more "wow" images for Vray and Corona but I still think Thea is the better for what I do.
First, you have several different render engines to chose from that all are great in their own way.
...and then there is Presto.

Some time ago I made an image where I was trying to mimic a photo the best I could and tried several of Thea's engines. Surprisingly it turned out that Presto AO (that is the fastest engine) got me closest to the look of my reference photo.

I now almost always use Presto AO or Presto MC since they're so fast and still look great.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't know any other render engine that uses both CPU and GPU at the same time.
That and bucket rendering that lets me render very heavy scenes even on my laptop with just a 2 GB GPU.

But don't take my word for it. Give it a try yourself and see what you think.
Pixero 

Postby cuttingedge » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:53 pm

valerostudio wrote: but Thea is getting used more and more each day.

Because you said so... I'll probably will consider giving Thea a try. I just need to see some "wow" stuff. My colleagues set Evermotion as their standard of "high- quality". Im browsing through the gallery of Thea, aside from a handful of impressive ones, I couldnt see something comparable to the regular posts that goes into Evermotion gallery everyday - which of course- is mostly made in vray for max.

cuttingedge 

Postby JQL » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:05 pm

Cutting edge, why are you looking at what others did. Download the trial and try it yourself.

At least be sure that, if someone is able to do great things with Thea it's because Thea allows it.

The thing is that it's so easy to use that you can also easily do bad things and still feel you've done much more than you could do before (I'm permanently thinking like that with my own stuff...)
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Pixero » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:21 pm

A little note.
Right now GPU rendering is for Nvidia cuda cards only but a open cl solution is in the works.
Pixero 

Postby valerostudio » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:00 pm

Using proxies, Skatter, and making sure you model has the detail, and a good amount of Photoshopping, there is no reason why you couldn't achieve Evermotion quality with SketchUp and Thea (or VRay). It comes down to the artist and how far they push these tools. Most of us don't have the time to spend 2 years making the next Third and Seventh.

valerostudio 

Postby pbacot » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:49 pm

valerostudio wrote: Most of us don't have the time to spend 2 years making the next Third and Seventh.

And who has (made the next one)?
MacOSX Mojave ShetchUp Pro v19 Twilight Pro v2 M2 Kerkythea PowerCADD
pbacot 
Top SketchUcator

Postby valerostudio » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:22 pm

I would say anything that Bertrand Benoit has done.
http://www.bbb3viz.com/

Or the Unreal Paris
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6PQ19BEE24

There will never be another Third and Seventh, but I think these guys are pushing the limits the same way that Alex Roman was years ago.

It doesn't matter what engine you are using. These guys could make unbelievable images with whatever you put in front of them. They are artists.

valerostudio 

Postby JQL » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:42 pm

Unreal Engine master is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/user/koooolalala
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby valerostudio » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:42 pm

JQL wrote:Unreal Engine master is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/user/koooolalala

Wow. No words.

This is the thing that clients see and then they expect 360 animations exported in 25 minutes.

valerostudio 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Next

Return to Thea