Hardware for SU and Thearender

General discussion on Thea Render for SketchUp

Moderator: Frederik

Hardware for SU and Thearender

Postby Isacchini » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:25 am

Hi.

Can I ask here informations for a good hardware for Sketchup and Thearender?

I use these softwares for work (interior design). In particular I need to work whithout slowing down and a good speed in gpu-rendering.

Isacchini 

Re: Hardware for SU and Thearender

Postby JQL » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:09 pm

You should get a double GPU system. I have Titan X and it's perfect at rendering, but when I press the render button system gets irresponsive. I don't mind that at all as I render overnight and usually batch render, however I can tell that an extra GPU for system would allow me to render even while working.

CPU is easier, the faster the better. Leave one or two cores off render and your system will run smoothly.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Isacchini » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:54 pm

Thanks!

I think also that 2 graphic cards are better, one for the viewport and the aither for GPU-render.

For the viewport, do you know if can be better a Quadro 2200 or another gtx?

and another question:
Sketchup support a resolution of 2.560 x 1.440?

Isacchini 

Postby JQL » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:22 am

Think of what you'd need for using Sketchup.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Isacchini » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:26 am

I don't understand what do you mean.

Isacchini 

Postby JQL » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:20 pm

Sorry, I use the Titan X alone, because I'm not permanently rendering and the Titan X is an excellent GPU for Sketchup too.

It can handle anything I throw at it and I don't feel sketchup lagging until projects reach about 500Mb on High definition textures (mostly due to huge Google Maps terrains as Thea switches Sketchup materials textures for low definition versions, while still rendering with the HD ones.)

So what I was trying to say is that your secondary GPU should be considered for the job you have at hand while you're rendering. If it's surfing the web, anything will do, if it's using Sketchup, you should have something good enough for that.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Isacchini » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:16 pm

actually i have a gtx 570 and a i5-2500 processor

Do you think my actual system is not too powerfull?

Isacchini 

Postby JQL » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:48 am

I don't know much about processors and stuff... I think it all comes down to budget and bang for the bucks as Thea will squeeze it all from either GPU or CPU.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby JasonWD » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:12 pm

JQL has some good advice... nice GPU too!

I am using an i7 5930K with 2 GTX970s and came to the conclusion because of this table:

The VRAM gets filled by textures; I typically don't overload my scenes because I do a lot of commercial interiors with not that much variation.
The CUDA cores are the working units, the more the better.

I built my system before the 980Ti, which is effectively Titan with half the memory, and would go for one now if I had the choice again. Amazing value.
SketchUp, Thea Render, Vectorworks PC and Mac - Full LayOut workflow Concept>Production
JasonWD 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby JQL » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:30 pm

Thanks Jason,

It's actually true, it's an hell of a GPU!

I mean, how many GPU's have 12Gb and cost "only" 1000€?

Basically if you got some time in your hands and that money nothing beats the Titan X...

I can do multiple GPU renders simultaneously. I can deal with Substances (take a look at Allegorythmic Substance Designer) up to 16k wich is unbelievable as the max supported size is 4k.

I can render any project I have with 12Gb and I don't need to be rational about it. I'm not a renderer, but an architect, I develop the full project 3D, texture everything, and then hit render... That is the worst thing you can do as a basic scene of mine would, if made specially for render, weight about 3Gb MAX. However because I'm modelling the full thing it's weighting around +8Gb usually.

If I had 2 980Ti I'd render 2x faster any scene that would fit the 6Gb, for the same bucks, however with the Titan X I render any scene!

Also, I have to tell you that every new software is GPU accelerated. Interactive render isn't supposed to be final but it is what I render most. It is a conceptual tool for me, not a presentational tool. I need it permanently and having all software I use open (Thea+SU+Substance+Krita+NewStuffThatMightComeBy) easily hits the 6Gb limit of a 980Ti.

For presentations I batch render overnight. Average 4hours per render with interiors only lit by Sun...
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby xone » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:56 am

Actually, the simplest answer needed for newbie like me trying to figure out a system setup for rendering is...

"how much faster can this GPU perform compared to just plain-CPU render? 10X? 20X?" :?

Noticed Thea OpenCL support isn't here yet so my AMD isn't gonna help. Thinking of getting some second hand GTX970 but the question is, well, quoted above...

xone 

Postby JQL » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:20 am

xone wrote:Actually, the simplest answer needed for newbie like me trying to figure out a system setup for rendering is...

"how much faster can this GPU perform compared to just plain-CPU render? 10X? 20X?" :?

Noticed Thea OpenCL support isn't here yet so my AMD isn't gonna help. Thinking of getting some second hand GTX970 but the question is, well, quoted above...

If the answer was that simple, it wouldn't require this discussion.

Do you think a GTX970 will be faster than a 980Ti?

Do you think an Intel i3 would be as fast as an i7 of the same generation or a Xeon?

The only simple answer here is that Thea is fast, no matter what CPU you use. If you have an nvidia GPU it will be even faster. A lot of Thea users don't use GPU rendering though. In a short time (I don't know how much) you will be able to render with OpenCL so AMD GPU's will also be able to boost your renders.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby valerostudio » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:18 pm

TitanX on an i7 and you'll be pleased. When you have the cash, put in an additional card to offload to.

valerostudio 

Postby JQL » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:13 pm

valerostudio wrote:TitanX on an i7

Yep you can start by those...

It's what I have and it works moderatly well! :D
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine