Thea 1.4 is Released!!

General discussion on Thea Render for SketchUp

Moderator: Frederik

Thea 1.4 is Released!!

Postby Mistro11 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:46 pm

New and improved Thea released today! I like the new UI arrangement. I will be digging in to explore all the new features. They are also having a sale at this time.
Thanks Thea Team!

Info
http://www.thearender.com/forum/viewtop ... 16&t=16074

EDIT:
The Presto page is very nice
http://theapresto.com/index.html
i7-4930k @3.4/3.7GHz, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX 980Ti 6Gb, Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Structural Integrity is Not Just Physical...It's in the Design and Purpose
Mistro11 

Re: Thea 1.4 is Released!!

Postby Krisidious » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:49 pm

One of these days I'll have it...
By: Kristoff Rand
Home Designer
Unique House Plans
Krisidious 

Postby Frederik » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:06 am

Krisidious wrote:One of these days I'll have it...

Give yourself a nice Xmas present... ;)
ATM you can save 40% on Thea Render + the Thea4SU plugin...
Cheers
Kim Frederik
Frederik 
Thea Render Support
Thea Render Support

Postby Pixero » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:31 pm

Just make sure you have a Nvidia card to use Presto GPU.
The new bucket render mode for Presto makes it possible to render large size images with lots of render channels on the GPU. I just finished a 5000 pixels wide rather complex render with 14 channels without problem.
It's greeeeaat! :ecstatic:
Pixero 

Postby tomasz » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:52 pm

Important news for Mac users that don't have SU2015, is that the Thea Studio for OSX is 64bit from now on.

'Thea for SketchUp' has its own simple but powerful enough Batch Render. It comes also with many advantages of Thea 1.4 like mentioned Presto bucket rendering, advanced channels(passes) and speed improvements for most recent Nvidia GPU cards.

tomasz 
SU2TH & SU2KT Developer

Postby pilou » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:06 pm

Cool site, cool images, cool render engine! :enlight:
Frenchy Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
Speedy Galerie
pilou 
Top SketchUcator

Postby ashscott » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:25 pm

Hows Thea with animation? If can show it doing waterspray effects like this then I'll purchase it now
Just some stuff I do with Sketchup.
ashscott 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby roland joseph » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:40 pm

Hey!...where did you get that?

I don't want a silly water animation to get in the road of a great product. You should buy Thea! I'm going to do the animation for you anyway. Thea is one of those amazing machines that will work magic with your model. If you want realism you will get it in spades here. As you can see it is very inexpensive. Thea is basically one of those tools that a modeler needs to have. It can do the water animation in the right hands as well.

...and as welll
That is not exactly fair to Lumion because the animation was done on a whim. It took seconds to produce so it is not very representative of Lumion animation capability.
Lumion was designed to produce animations but it cannot approach Thea in render quality.

roland joseph 

Postby ashscott » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:18 pm

Haha, you're quick.

How would Thea do an animation like that?

I don't want to take advantage of your generosity with the water animation rendering and would like to have the capacity myself for other projects...I just don't want that capacity enough to fork out bazillions of dollars for Lumion (which by all accounts appears to be great).

I use Twilight for stills and it does everything I need it to so my only other need is the water spray animation. You say Thea can do it....how?
ashscott 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Krisidious » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:19 pm

Ok... I had to have it... I'm a Thea Fan Boy now.

Now to learn what the hell I'm doing in it.
Home Designer
Unique House Plans
Krisidious 

Postby roland joseph » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:16 pm

It can do the water animation in the right hands as well.

With emphasis on the right hands. I can't do it and I am sorry Kris but I would be better to teach you Lumion.

Like I said, Lumion was designed to be a movie maker, video editor. Thea was not. Ironically if Thea decides to assemble the images in the end their animations are very real.
I haven't even looked (googled)because I know they are out there.

The comparison of these products is not fair. They have specialized applications each superior within their intended arena.

I hope someone will arrive here to bail me out. :roll:

roland joseph 

Postby ashscott » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:21 pm

Yeah I totally get that Roland, Thea looks amazing. I'm just selfishly trying to fill a need of my own right now. Both products look great in their respective fields.
ashscott 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby roland joseph » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:30 pm

The things that Thea does are very hard to bring to a real time environment because they are so detailed. Go look at the displacement images at the Thea site. They are extraordinary. That takes a lot of number crunching and that takes time. But the fact is the render times are starting to get very reasonable from what I have seen. Thea like everyone else in the business wants to render faster.

roland joseph 

Postby notareal » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:06 pm

ashscott wrote:Haha, you're quick.

How would Thea do an animation like that?

I don't want to take advantage of your generosity with the water animation rendering and would like to have the capacity myself for other projects...I just don't want that capacity enough to fork out bazillions of dollars for Lumion (which by all accounts appears to be great).

I use Twilight for stills and it does everything I need it to so my only other need is the water spray animation. You say Thea can do it....how?

Thea can crunch pretty much anything (if it's mesh), so to have a fully physically accurate water spray animated in Thea, you need a right tool to create the model. Honestly, I am not sure if SU (alone) is up to that kind of task... Lumion is certainly nice for it's intended use. Sure you can add some effect like that with post pro, but at the moment one more app is needed (as there is no particles in Thea), if scene is build in SU. For example at

I think Patricks used After Effects dust, but naturally one could use rain too (with After Effects or some similar post pro tool), specially when combined with Thea Render Channels.
Welcome to try Thea Render, Thea support | kerkythea.net -team member

notareal 
Thea Render Support
Thea Render Support

Postby ashscott » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:27 am

I see powerdirector (which I use) has some OK(ish) looking after effects. Thanks for the feedback.
ashscott 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby notareal » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:59 am

At vimeo there is a channel where some our users has posted some short experiment animations, maybe worth to look, if you are interested animations made with Thea (no v1.4 animations there yet).

http://vimeo.com/channels/thearenderanimation

notareal 
Thea Render Support
Thea Render Support

Postby Mistro11 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:57 pm

Krisidious wrote:Ok... I had to have it... I'm a Thea Fan Boy now.

Now to learn what the hell I'm doing in it.

Welcome aboard Kris! You won't regret it. Took me a while too as I was attached to Kerkythea and thought I didn't really need anything else. I still have KT installed on my system BTW but I haven't touched it in months.

About the anination- That heli video is the first one of it's kind I saw of Thea animation in action. Very interesting.
i7-4930k @3.4/3.7GHz, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX 980Ti 6Gb, Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Structural Integrity is Not Just Physical...It's in the Design and Purpose
Mistro11 

Postby NigeC » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:39 pm

There's Fusion 7 which has a free lite version, apparently Sketchup camera data will import as an FBX, so in theory you could render an animation with channels and also export cameras.
I've always found animation hard work in SU and lose the will to live quite quickly! There's a lot easier ways

I fired up KT the other month and I've totally forgotten how to use it :oops:
“It’s only impossible if you stop and think about it!”
NigeC 

Postby utiler » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:52 pm

I've had Thea for SU since winning a SketchUp 2014 for Architectural Visualization [eBook] here at SketchUcation a while back and couldn't be happier with the results.
Thea is by far the easiest renderer for SketchUp IMO!

So much so, my 65 year old colleague here int eh office is buying it tomorrow when he's back from a long weekend after I did some renders of an RSL sports bar for him last week. [dumbed down and attached]

Just scratching the surface with it but really excited about using it on future projects!!
purpose/expression/purpose/....
utiler 
Top SketchUcator

Postby notareal » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:12 pm

NigeC wrote:There's Fusion 7 which has a free lite version, apparently Sketchup camera data will import as an FBX, so in theory you could render an animation with channels and also export cameras.
I've always found animation hard work in SU and lose the will to live quite quickly! There's a lot easier ways

I fired up KT the other month and I've totally forgotten how to use it :oops:

Fusion 7 free sounds excellent composting tool, no idea how they offering it for free, but I am not complaining :bounce:

notareal 
Thea Render Support
Thea Render Support

Postby david_h » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:32 pm

Will new and Improved super Thea 1.4 over-write older , less super thea 1.3? or is it a new installation? do I need to save off my materials and such?

There aint that much to lose here, but still . . .
If I make it look easy. . .then it probably is.
david_h 
Top SketchUcator

Postby utiler » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:25 pm

Actually, I just ran a render last night using 1.4 and the Thea Render mask covers the image... I would expect this to happen if I had not licensed the version but it is.

Any ideas?
utiler 
Top SketchUcator

Postby Krisidious » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:19 am

From the Thea Forum Utiler

http://www.thearender.com/forum/viewtop ... 61&t=16172

Because we got questions about using these versions at the same time on a computer, here is what you need to know! I am going to show the procedure here on Windows.

1. There is absolutely no problem having them both on one computer.

2. For this to work, because the executables should share the same application folder. If you have installed v1.4 then in Program Files, rename one thea.exe to thea_v1.4.exe and perform v1.3 installation again.

3. Licensing will be an issue because the license.txt file used by v1.4 interferes with the license used by v1.3. So, you will need to rename the license.txt file located in data folder > Licenses to something else whenever you are starting v1.3. And bring it back to license.txt when starting v1.4.

The latter is very important for those falling back to v1.3 (and erasing v1.4)! They will need either to Clear License from v1.4 license form or do that manually, by removing license.txt from data folder > Licenses. This holds for all operating systems. A fix is coming in next version that avoids this (and step 3 above) altogether.
Home Designer
Unique House Plans
Krisidious 

Postby utiler » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:30 am

Cheers! :oops:
utiler 
Top SketchUcator

Postby Krisidious » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:14 am

No worries Utiler... lots of people experienced the same thing.
Home Designer
Unique House Plans
Krisidious 

Postby majid » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:17 pm

Lumions approach is completely different from Thea. It uses a sort of avi animated water texture on surfaces (I guess and am not sure). To mimic that , you may use Twilight render 2,.... It handles GIF file format, and it means that you may mimic fountains with animated water easily. I guess Thea will handle GIF files soon. TWR2 has a really amazing price also.
My V-Ray book for architects: https://goo.gl/cz1oRc
majid 
Top SketchUcator

Postby ashscott » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:35 am

Hey Majid, thanks for the heads up on TWR2.

I have used the original Twilight a lot and found it great and had been looking at TWR2. I've found Fletch and the team to be really helpful with the original version too.

You have inspired me to give TWR2 a go.

I'm using a gen 2 i7 laptop with a 630M GEFORCE GPU (Thea rates this GPU as a 2.1/5 for render power). How would render speeds on this machine differ between TWR2 (CPU) and Thea with GPU rendering?
ashscott 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby majid » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:11 am

Twilight 2 is fast on my laptop , comparing to Thea.My laptop is also too week. :cry:
My V-Ray book for architects: https://goo.gl/cz1oRc
majid 
Top SketchUcator

Postby NigeC » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:04 pm

Twilight 2 is quick but the build times seem insane
Comparing Twilight CPU against Presto is a bit like comparing apples and pears.. totally different species

I have the Hobbyist version of Twilight, very quick but I miss the control I have with Thea, its just so much more flexible
“It’s only impossible if you stop and think about it!”
NigeC 

Postby tomasz » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:28 pm

Thea 1.4 is available publicly now, so everyone can put our latest release to a test.

tomasz 
SU2TH & SU2KT Developer

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Thea