Managing Lighting

General discussion on Thea Render for SketchUp

Moderator: Frederik

Managing Lighting

Postby Mistro11 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:28 pm

I am having trouble figuring out how to use my lights. When I do a render, all my spot lights are off though I have them set to 5-10 power. In the Thea Tool, I see a section for lights but don't see any info on it in the manual unless I missed it. I am trying to use the KT lights. If those don't work, how do I insert lights into my scenes?

EDIT!!! :oops: DUH...I did miss the light section and placed a Thea light into the room but it still is not lighting up the scene. I'm currently playing with the parameters. Gonna read some more and give an update.
i7-4930k @3.4/3.7GHz, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX 980Ti 6Gb, Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Structural Integrity is Not Just Physical...It's in the Design and Purpose
Mistro11 

Re: Managing Lighting

Postby NigeC » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:05 pm

the best/easiest way to learn is use a ies light, these have a set value and should be factory correct
Next play with the display values not the ies's multiplier setting
typically with a interior camera shot you would adjust the iso, shutter speed and F.number and this is how Thea works, cranking up the lights just gives a very un natural feel and can cause artifacts
this is the standard ies light in Thea4SU and the values I'd use in a 2x2m room with no other lightsource (no sun or sky)
Untitled.png

PS
Not much of KT will work correctly in Thea, you may be able to rename KT lights to Thea lights if they don't work.. I don't have KT installed so I can't try
“It’s only impossible if you stop and think about it!”
NigeC 

Postby Mistro11 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:38 am

Thanks NigeC! I ended up using the ies files. Much easier than KT lights in Thea. I will admit I did start playing with the power settings but your suggestion to use the display settings makes sense. Guess I'm about to learn some photography.
Mistro11 

Postby Mistro11 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:37 pm

I was playing with the ies multiplier by noob instinct once I saw light in my scene before your suggestion to tweak display settings. Now I forgot what the default multiplier values was for the ies lights. Is there a way to reset the lights to default values? I tried creating new lights but the values seem to transfer over. (multiplier at 10, soft shadow radius at .020) no matter what ies light I load, all values stay the same. What am I missing?
Mistro11 

Postby NigeC » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:13 pm

on ies lights the default is 1
If you create a light and copy it this creates a group of lights which inherit the settings from the original

soft shadow is the actual size of the light source in meters, .02 is about right for a bulb at 2cm
“It’s only impossible if you stop and think about it!”
NigeC 

Postby Mistro11 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:02 pm

Thanks again NigeC.

I got this answer from Tomasz over at Thea forum:
"The version has some issues with lights values - especially the soft shadow value - it is set to what you specify, but displays wrong value.

The upcoming release has this fixed."
Mistro11 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Thea