Cannot make a proxy in 4SU or Studio

General discussion on Thea Render for SketchUp

Moderator: Frederik

Cannot make a proxy in 4SU or Studio

Postby duanekemp » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:14 pm

Since last tuesday, I've been struggling with this subject on several levels.

First, I tried to create a prosy with a 2D representation of the model within the proxy. Nige Copland
showed me the steps through a tut he made, and then with a video ending for the tut for the last steps involved. He was able to actually perform this task and made it sound easy. However, every attempt on my part resulted in the reverse results. When placing the proxy in SU, it copied the full tree model.

In continuing to search for solutions, since I too do not have the export .mod.thea option in 4SU (latest version), I tried to use studio for creating the proxy.

Every attempt to create a proxy, either from a full tree, a simple cube or cone has given the fallowing messages.

I've tried both Thea Render (v1.3.05.1086) and Thea Render (v1.3.04.1055)

Yet, Yasser Mokhtar Osman was able to do this with his 1.2 version and Nige was able to do this with his Mac 1086 build, I can't get anything. Simply put, I am still not able to create a proxy. I need some help.
Duane Kemp

Kemp Productions
Puidoux, Switzerland
Gallery:
https://duanekemp.artstation.com/
duanekemp 

Re: Cannot make a proxy in 4SU or Studio

Postby olishea » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:18 pm

To make this clear, Duane wants a 2D representation of his 3D model.

When he places this 2D representation in the model space, he wants Thea to render the 3D model instead, not the 2D cutout.

Just clarifying for you Duane so we don't get random answers. :thumb:

Firstly, can you confirm you can turn any SketchUp component into an instance? Even a blade of grass, anything?
oli
olishea 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby duanekemp » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:21 pm

Thank you Oliver but more than that, I can't make a proxy of any kind without the message about not being able to create the libraries.
Duane Kemp

Kemp Productions
Puidoux, Switzerland
Gallery:
duanekemp 

Postby Frederik » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:38 pm

I've seen that you've also posted the question at the Thea Render forum...
I can't replicate it myself, thus we need to await for Tomasz to reply to this...

If possible - can you share the models incl. the components you're using, enabling me to give it a try...?
Cheers
Kim Frederik
Frederik 
Thea Render Support
Thea Render Support

Postby duanekemp » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:08 pm

Thank you for responding.

Actually, I'm having the problem with even the default cube and cone… let alone a tree.

I'm sure you'd have a hard time duplicating THAT problem. :-( There's something wrong with my personal configuration or something. Or maybe I'm just not doing something right.
Duane Kemp

Kemp Productions
Puidoux, Switzerland
Gallery:
duanekemp 

Postby Frederik » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:02 pm

Just to close this thread, I had a online meeting with Duane, where things got sorted...
Creating proxies in Thea Render studio and does work... :)

I believe there were some confusing steps in the tutorials...
This will get sorted in order for others to avoid the same mistakes... :)
Cheers
Kim Frederik
Frederik 
Thea Render Support
Thea Render Support

Postby olishea » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:09 pm

Yeah a tutorial would be great Kim, I'll be looking out for it. :thumb:
oli
olishea 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby duanekemp » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:30 pm

Gentlemen, My problem is solved!!!!! AMEN!

The whole, drop into browser window was the thing I was missing.

Frederik assisted me and within 15 minutes, identified where I was going wrong. Though I had followed the steps repeatedly from different sources, Frederik showed the simple drag and drop method shown in Theachu3d's image shot marked "Drag and drop models into below Browser.

This solved the issue. Creating a new file folder with my name within the System Thea folder under models, dropping the previewed work within, allowed for the proxy to show up. This is why I wasn't able to proxy a cube, cone or tree. I don't know how I missed this step! Now that it's correct, it seems obvious. Yet, that was the part that was missing.

So, I now have Studio making proxies and I now know how to create a .skp file with the 2D representation of that proxy to insert to the Su model.

Thank you all for your input, help, assistant and support. This only took 5 days to hammer out.
Frederik, thank you so much for going the extra mile and making the missing link for me. The 30 minutes together live was what did it for me and I so appreciate it.

Nige, thank you so much for the tutorial help. I know you spent time you didn't have and that I wasn't able to interpret everything correctly, but your help offered means so much. You guys are great!

Now, on to making a new library of proxies!

I also have to note, that I cannot believe just how DARN FAST this thing is rendering. Working with something so slow for SO LONG really allows my astonishment in the contrast to be really enjoyable. I'm so excited to see what this thing CAN'T do! :-)

After the help received today, I remade the same steps to make sure I understood them and are familiar. For some reason, I am not allowed to upload an image directly to this chain but, here is the link on the thea forum.
http://www.thearender.com/forum/downloa ... &mode=view
Duane Kemp

Kemp Productions
Puidoux, Switzerland
Gallery:
duanekemp 

Postby Frederik » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:21 pm

My pleasure, Duane... :)
Happy we got things sorted...

It was nice to "meet" you through Skype and TeamViewer... :thumb:
Cheers
Kim Frederik
Frederik 
Thea Render Support
Thea Render Support

Postby duanekemp » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:16 pm

Truly looking forward to our next session. I'm testing my limits to have precise question for hopefully quick answers. You're a good man. Matter of fact, I have yet to find anyone in Thea support that has not just been completely, generously earnest with the assistance.

See you soon.
Duane Kemp

Kemp Productions
Puidoux, Switzerland
Gallery:
duanekemp 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Thea