Thea V3...Coming March 2nd!!!!

General discussion on Thea Render for SketchUp

Moderator: Frederik

Thea V3...Coming March 2nd!!!!

Postby jenujacob » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:26 am

As the title suggests...
i am surprised Altair (Thea's parent company) is hardly making an effort to advertise this anywhere...
anyhooo.. i am quite stoked! Shame there are no teasers or anything...

you can read the small announcement <<<< here >>>>
jenujacob 

Re: Thea V3...Coming March 2nd!!!!

Postby majid » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:55 pm

As a Thea old user (That is not using anymore) and Thea lover, I think it is getting somewhere: It seems now they have included fur and grass (hopefully) and color variation for the same instance... fine bloom effect (hopefully with zero speed drop) and also nice color and sky mood. That is all I guess, watching the announcement image.... I hope there are ways more good news....
My perspective shortcuts book: https://bit.ly/30Tdbce
majid 
Top SketchUcator

Postby jenujacob » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:07 pm

majid wrote:As a Thea old user (That is not using anymore) and Thea lover, I think it is getting somewhere: It seems now they have included fur and grass (hopefully) and color variation for the same instance... fine bloom effect (hopefully with zero speed drop) and also nice color and sky mood. That is all I guess, watching the announcement image.... I hope there are ways more good news....

HI Majid!
I didn't realize you quit Thea! What engine do you use primarily nowadays?
And man! You got some rad detective skills! I think you are spot on with those new features now that I look at the image again.... :thumb:
jenujacob 

Postby solo » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:55 pm

I still occasionally use version 1.5 for studio renders, but with Lumion, Enscape, and Twinmotion around Thea is just no longer a go-to product, and I feel Altair does not give a crap about its users.
http://www.solos-art.com

If you see a toilet in your dreams do not use it.
solo 
Global Moderator

Postby jenujacob » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:40 am

solo wrote:I still occasionally use version 1.5 for studio renders, but with Lumion, Enscape, and Twinmotion around Thea is just no longer a go-to product, and I feel Altair does not give a crap about its users.

hi Pete!
i agree with you on the fact that Altair doesnt care about the user base... but i stick around with thea for stills and use twinmotion for animations. i am currently looking at the bridge between twinmotion and unreal but it is an overwhelming experience.
i hope thea moves into the realtime rendering sooner than later. i am glad that Tomasz is still actively developing the plugin. i am not sure about Ioannis nowadays if he is still actively developing thea or he has moved into other roles within altair.
Last edited by jenujacob on Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jenujacob 

Postby majid » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:05 am

I guess Ioannis is targetting a long-run goal. Who knows maybe in near future two worlds meet: ray-tracing and real-time engines, I mean. As far as I know, he insists on quality the most. I hope and hope it comes true that Thea could keep its users and expand its community.
majid 
Top SketchUcator

Postby jenujacob » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:40 pm

Its here!
jenujacob 

Postby david_h » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:12 pm

I have checked out the video and such. is it a completely new re-buy or is there an lesser cost for just the upgrade? I couldnt tell. I really struggled with V2 and wished I could've gone back to V1. Never used the studio version, just the SU plugin.

It might be moot anyway since I am slowly transitioning to REVIT and am not really a renderer anyway.

D
If I make it look easy...It is probably easy
david_h 
Top SketchUcator

Postby sfto1 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:47 pm

david_h wrote:I have checked out the video and such. is it a completely new re-buy or is there an lesser cost for just the upgrade? I couldnt tell. I really struggled with V2 and wished I could've gone back to V1. Never used the studio version, just the SU plugin.

It might be moot anyway since I am slowly transitioning to REVIT and am not really a renderer anyway.

D

It is subscription now, and they offer one year or three year plans. The three year plan is discounted
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby david_h » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:54 pm

Oh well. . .that's nice.

Looks like I'm out. :?
david_h 
Top SketchUcator

Postby majid » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:41 pm

I think the only right guess of mine is the random color for the same instance!
It seems that the new version speed rocks!
A real game changer! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
majid 
Top SketchUcator

Postby solo » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:18 pm

sfto1 wrote:
It is subscription now

Thanks for that, I'm out.
http://www.solos-art.com

If you see a toilet in your dreams do not use it.
solo 
Global Moderator

Postby Gus R » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:36 pm

At first, I was pretty disgruntled about the whole yearly subscription trend but over the years it seemed like there wasn't anything I could do. It's here to stay.

I waited over 5 years probably 10 to get Thea or Vray. I finally bit the bullet and went ahead and grabbed a Thea subscription for $280.

Vray offers a monthly plan at $50/month which amounts to $720/year. Their yearly plan is $350/year and perpetual license is $790. It's a better renderer than Thea but when I last installed a trial version it went sideways on my Windows 7. I was happy with Thea 2.2 and no Thea 3.0. It has it's works and limitation with my machine but overall it's good and doesn't require a team of scientists to run like Blender which reminds me of a navigation system from a 1970s science fiction space ship.

Lumion looks fantastic but it would require an up to date CPU and GPU to do what it can do. Then there's the matter of cost which is close to the price of major auto repair or buying a nice used car at $1,803 to $3,607 for the top version.

Thea allowed me to get a renderer without breaking my bank account and it's a really nice rendering engine with a lot of great features.
Gus R 

Postby pipinek » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:22 am

Gus R wrote:At first, I was pretty disgruntled about the whole yearly subscription trend but over the years it seemed like there wasn't anything I could do. It's here to stay.

I waited over 5 years probably 10 to get Thea or Vray. I finally bit the bullet and went ahead and grabbed a Thea subscription for $280.

Vray offers a monthly plan at $50/month which amounts to $720/year. Their yearly plan is $350/year and perpetual license is $790. It's a better renderer than Thea but when I last installed a trial version it went sideways on my Windows 7. I was happy with Thea 2.2 and no Thea 3.0. It has it's works and limitation with my machine but overall it's good and doesn't require a team of scientists to run like Blender which reminds me of a navigation system from a 1970s science fiction space ship.

Lumion looks fantastic but it would require an up to date CPU and GPU to do what it can do. Then there's the matter of cost which is close to the price of major auto repair or buying a nice used car at $1,803 to $3,607 for the top version.

Thea allowed me to get a renderer without breaking my bank account and it's a really nice rendering engine with a lot of great features.

There is no upgrade pricing this time for long-time Thea users.

Really original approach ending my adventure with Thea.
Vray still offers a perpetual licence and a very attractive upgrade price as well as Vray Cosmos offered with the latest upgrade.

pipinek 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby david_h » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:45 pm

Dear Wizards of Smart:

I had to re-install SKP for bug splat reasons, and I lost my Thea. (old school thea4Skp). I thought I had an installer (rbz, or exe) but I can only find an rbs file in my old 2018 Sketchup folders. IS there a way to install that? Compress the rbs to zip to rbz? I've tried that. Doesn't work. Something else I can do? I don't render other than just tests, so I am not interested in the all-in subscription. but I do like Thea better than podium, which I am using now.

Help!

thx

DH
david_h 
Top SketchUcator

Postby Rich O Brien » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:22 pm

Did you look through their forums?

Licensed User registered their have access to old legacy versions...

https://www.thearender.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=170
There's a frontroom and a backroom....reverse faces
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby david_h » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:59 pm

thanks Rich, but I am not seeing it. I just taken to the latest version 3. I was hoping to avoid that.
david_h 
Top SketchUcator

Postby Rich O Brien » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:01 pm

I dunno so. Once it went to the Altair One portal thing I got lost and stopped using Thea.

Maybe PM Tomasz on their forums and ask nicely for a legacy build?
There's a frontroom and a backroom....reverse faces
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby majid » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:27 am

You mean there is no previous version availabahe here: https://www.thearender.com/releases/?
majid 
Top SketchUcator

Postby david_h » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:52 pm

thank you guys. I guess I am not very quick. :oops:

But .. . I think you knew that.

D

EDIT: Up and running. Thank you!
david_h 
Top SketchUcator