Thea for SketchUp 2.2 - SU2020 Support

General discussion on Thea Render for SketchUp

Moderator: Frederik

Thea for SketchUp 2.2 - SU2020 Support

Postby tomasz » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:23 pm

Hi,

We have just published an new, hot-fix revision with an number of fixes, that not only address major issues discovered in 2.2. This version also fully supports SketchUp 2020.

You can find a change log for this version here.

I highly recommend updating Thea to this version.

Tomasz

tomasz 
SU2TH & SU2KT Developer

Re: Thea for SketchUp 2.2 - SU2020 Support

Postby juju » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:51 pm

Thanks for the notification, appreciated.

I have a perpetual licence for Thea with TheaForSketchUp_v2.2.954.1860 being the last version I have on file and my maintenance ending 12/12/2019. From what I last remember seeing on the Thea forum, all renewal was changed to the subscription model converting perpetual licences to this model, thus I didn't renew as I do not support that business model.

So, question here is, obviously I won't be able to upgrade to the new version that is SU2020 compatible. Is there a mechanism for me to keep my perpetual licence and upgrade?

Another question here is, can you code into future install options that you locate the SketchUp Installation instead of hardcoding the location? This will mean that we will be able to technically install the renderer to whatever version installation. Most new versions of SketchUp works with older extensions, with the exception when there are major Ruby changes, no? What stops compiled renderers from doing so apart from paths being hardcoded?
Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.
juju 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby sfto1 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:14 pm

juju wrote:Thanks for the notification, appreciated.

I have a perpetual licence for Thea with TheaForSketchUp_v2.2.954.1860 being the last version I have on file and my maintenance ending 12/12/2019. From what I last remember seeing on the Thea forum, all renewal was changed to the subscription model converting perpetual licences to this model, thus I didn't renew as I do not support that business model.

So, question here is, obviously I won't be able to upgrade to the new version that is SU2020 compatible. Is there a mechanism for me to keep my perpetual licence and upgrade?

Another question here is, can you code into future install options that you locate the SketchUp Installation instead of hardcoding the location? This will mean that we will be able to technically install the renderer to whatever version installation. Most new versions of SketchUp works with older extensions, with the exception when there are major Ruby changes, no? What stops compiled renderers from doing so apart from paths being hardcoded?

juju
I have a perpetual license and I just downloaded and installed and used the node locked tab and browsed for my license and it accepted it and Thea is good to go.

Give it a try!
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby juju » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:05 pm

sfto1 wrote:juju
I have a perpetual license and I just downloaded and installed and used the node locked tab and browsed for my license and it accepted it and Thea is good to go.

Give it a try!

What's your Thea maintenance status like? Current or expired?
juju 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby tomasz » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:47 am

Juju, your perpetual license will work fine for the current release. We do not expect more 2.x releases coming, but if they would, you would get the update without any additional cost.

Your maintenance expired, that means you will not get 3.0, when it is out.

It just happens that Win version of the plugin would work fine in SU2020, but this is a case usually just in ~50% of SU releases so far. 2019 Mac version for example, could have problems, especially in Mojave and Catalina.

tomasz 
SU2TH & SU2KT Developer

Postby juju » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:56 pm

tomasz wrote:Juju, your perpetual license will work fine for the current release. We do not expect more 2.x releases coming, but if they would, you would get the update without any additional cost.

Your maintenance expired, that means you will not get 3.0, when it is out.

It just happens that Win version of the plugin would work fine in SU2020, but this is a case usually just in ~50% of SU releases so far. 2019 Mac version for example, could have problems, especially in Mojave and Catalina.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
juju 
Premium Member
Premium Member

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Thea