Thea4SU v1.5 Slow performance with new machine

General discussion on Thea Render for SketchUp

Moderator: Frederik

Thea4SU v1.5 Slow performance with new machine

Postby sfto1 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:37 pm

I have also posted this in Thea Forum, but any help from the THEA users here will be most welcome!

I just installed Thea4SU v1.5 on a new machine i7 8gen, 32gb RAM with a 1080ti video card.

Rendering with Presto AO

I have GPU and CPU priority set to low.

The system is very slow and when I need to move move anything (in model or another program) It is incredibly slow and choppy.

Any thoughts on what I might be able to do to improve performance? It seems like with this new hardware, this should not be happening.

Also, when rendering with the Presto engine, the FPS goes from 16FPS rather quickly to about 1.2 FPS

Again, ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help.
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Thea4SU v1.5 Slow performance with new machine

Postby Pixero » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:19 am

Thea is made to use all available power to make renderings as quickly as possible so some lag is inevitable i guess. It's not possible to set it to render at "half speed".
I have my device priority set at lowest to give other tasks a bit more priority which helps a bit with these things.
You can also try changing the interactive render settings under Extensions->Thea Render.
You could also disable for instance the CPU from the device list if you need to do something processor intensive while rendering. Or just render with the CPU if you need to do something GPU intensive in the meantime.

screen.JPG
Pixero 

Postby Frederik » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:29 am

Pixero wrote:It's not possible to set it to render at "half speed".

AFAIK that's not true...

You can define and set the number of threads to be used, hence if you have i.e. 8 threads available and set it to 4, then it will render "half" speed and the remaining threads can be used for other tasks... ;)

By default it's set to "Max", but you can select the number of threads in the rendering panel...
Cheers
Kim Frederik
Frederik 
Thea Render Support
Thea Render Support

Postby Pixero » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:45 am

You're right, I forgot about that.
Pixero 

Postby sfto1 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:14 pm

Thanks. I'll try that this morning, and report back.
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby sfto1 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:41 pm

Something is not working properly. I've tried the suggestions above and the system is slower and lags far more than when I run it on my old laptop.
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Thea