How to get sufficient light - interiors

General discussion on Thea Render for SketchUp

Moderator: Frederik

How to get sufficient light - interiors

Postby ark » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:12 am

Hi all you experts :D

I'm working on getting to know Thea render and seems to struggle to get "enough" light inside my scenes to make a crisp interior without the exterior seen trough the windows is over exposed.

The attached image is one I just made (have made some adjustments to the light afterwards).

I tried to make some emitters placed right outside the windows to boost the light a little - it seems like a method used especially with Vray?!

Any ideas?

ark 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: How to get sufficient light - interiors

Postby Rich O Brien » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:52 am

In Thea Studio use File > Scenes > Example and open the SimpleInterior file.

In the file there is a Sky Portal called OBsky_portal_MAsky_portal_mat that is set to not visible. Examine the properties of this emitter to get an idea of how to implement portals at light entry points.
There's a frontroom and a backroom....reverse faces
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby ark » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:55 am

Rich O Brien wrote:In Thea Studio use File > Scenes > Example and open the SimpleInterior file.

In the file there is a Sky Portal called OBsky_portal_MAsky_portal_mat that is set to not visible. Examine the properties of this emitter to get an idea of how to implement portals at light entry points.

:ecstatic: Interesting!

ark 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby JQL » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:57 am

Thea is a photorealist renderer that uses real camera values to tone map your image. In that sense if you raise the exposure inside you blow out the outside.

However Thea renders in full 32bit depth which means ypu can save a 32bit depth image and ypu get all the color info outside and inside.

You can save as a EXR file and tone map it in any software so you can get the balance you want, unconstrained from camera settings.

You can use free software like Krita or some builds of Gimp for this or you can use paid software like photoshop or affinity photo. I use the last.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Rich O Brien » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:01 pm

If it every gets Filmic/LUT support you could essentially never have to worry about this again.

As JQL says the output image at higher bit depth allows you to not crush white and black levels when post processing.
There's a frontroom and a backroom....reverse faces
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby Hieru » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:36 pm

If you aren't comfortable with a 32bit workflow, another option is to save out two renders: one with the exposure set for the interior and another exposed for the exterior. You would then combine them in post production.

There is also a non-photoreal method. You can lower the intensity of the image used for your background so that it isn't blown out when you increase the exposure for the interior. This only works when there aren't any/many 3D elements outside the window.

Unless the exterior view is the main focus, my preference is to just expose the scene for the interior and allow the exterior to be blown out (it's what you would see in a real-world photograph).
Hieru 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby ark » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:10 pm

Thank you so much for all your good advices :fro: :thumb:
I'll try them to see what I find best suited for my workflow.

Thanks again!

ark 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby srx » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:17 am

www.saurus.rs
srx 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot