Sketchup lagging when Thea running

General discussion on Thea Render for SketchUp

Moderator: Frederik

Sketchup lagging when Thea running

Postby ark » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:16 pm

Somehow Sketchup is lagging quite much when thea is running in it's own window making material adjustments difficult without stopping interactive render.

Vray doesn't seem to have this problem which makes the setup much faster.

Can it be my setup, or is it a general problem with the Thea plugin?
I'm using the trial version for evaluation, and it seems a new plugin is on its way... but can't see when? :D

ark 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Sketchup lagging when Thea running

Postby JQL » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:23 pm

Thea drains your computer resources to a crawl as it's trying to focus on rendering above all else. Maybe there's room for improvement here, but maybe you could setup your CPU and GPU priorities to lowest so your overall experience is more responsive.

Also don't forget that Thea is rendering with all your GPUs and your CPU and squeezing all the juice you have on them, I believe vray is only using either GPU or CPU so you got one of them free.

Try rendering only on CPU or GPU to see if it gets more responsive.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Hieru » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:28 pm

Unless you have a second GPU you can dedicate to SUp then what JQL is suggesting is the best option.
Hieru 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby ark » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:41 am

I used my weekend playing with different hardware setups and adjustments of priority of CPU/GPU in Thea render.

I installed a second GPU so now i have a GeForce GTX 1080 Ti with 11Gb, and my old GeForce GTX TITAN with 6Gb.
My PC is brand new with the latest i7 processor, 32Gb ram, and a fast flashdrive.

Even though Thea wasn't using CPU and the primary GPU, sketchup is still lagging when using Thea Render in interactive mode, especially when adjusting materials (I guess the scene has to be updated).

Is this just sketchup or is it Thea?

I find Vray more fluent when running interactive mode, and sketchup only stalling a bit activating the interactive render mode. But Vray is far from the speed of Thea presto! :o

ark 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby JQL » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:59 am

It might be the way thea4sketchup works.

Have you tried exporting to studio and reproduce similar steps?
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby ark » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:09 am

JQL wrote:It might be the way thea4sketchup works.

Have you tried exporting to studio and reproduce similar steps?

No... Was hoping to be able to stay inside Sketchup :/

ark 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby JQL » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:15 am

I was only suggesting so you could compare how studio behaves on comparison with t4su. That way you could see if it's a plugin issue or a thea issue.

Vray's new release optimized things and the is working like it is for some years now. The new version might focus on that issue if that is assessed. I cannot compare as I haven't got vray.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby ark » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:35 am

JQL wrote:I was only suggesting so you could compare how studio behaves on comparison with t4su. That way you could see if it's a plugin issue or a thea issue.

Vray's new release optimized things and the is working like it is for some years now. The new version might focus on that issue if that is assessed. I cannot compare as I haven't got vray.

Of Course - I'll try Thea Studio to see if it behaves differently!

I hope the new Thea for Sketchup plugin is more responsive in general... and released within to long :)

ark 
Premium Member
Premium Member

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Thea