Glossary of Terms Needed - New To Rendering  Topic is solved

General discussion on Thea Render for SketchUp

Moderator: Frederik

Glossary of Terms Needed - New To Rendering

Postby AGiam9 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:13 pm

Hi all,

I am very new to the field of rendering. I have never done anything in design, architecture, 3D modeling, photoshop, or rendering until a few weeks ago when my dad offered me a temporary position at his architecture firm and wanted to see if I could learn how to render so he didn't need to outsource any longer.

I have downloaded and learned to use SketchUp relatively quickly, but I am using Thea Render and having some trouble understanding the settings and tools as I am unfamiliar with a lot of the terminology used. I am having trouble finding anything in tutorials on youtube or from Thea's website itself that help me fully understand the settings. I would think that most people who use the program have some sort of experience and know what to expect but I am kind of shooting in the dark.

In any case, if anyone has a recommendation where I can learn the below terms (preferably in laymans terms for now) and how they work within Thea (and maybe some other tips to help me learn how to render in general), it would be greatly appreciated. Or if they would like to define them themselves, that would be most helpful as well!

Tools (need to understand what they do)

1) Relight
2) Repaint

Terms (need to understand what they are)

1) Threads
2) Tracing Depth
3) Diffuse Depth
4) Clamp Level

Any help is appreciated, and if anyone knows of any online courses that may help me, that would be great too!

Best
Andrew

AGiam9 

Re: Glossary of Terms Needed - New To Rendering

Postby ntxdave » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:20 am

@AGiam9 I agree with you 100%. I find that while most of the tutorials for the rendering products are pretty helpful, they frequently use language and terminology that I do not understand.

A funny thing for me is that I have found definitions in the Blender for Dummies book have helped me understand the terminology much better than any other source that I have found. Even though I find Blender a very hard tool to learn (as many others have also said), I do find many of the definitions in the book to be very helpful in understanding the lingo. But many times I still find myself scratching my head when trying to figure out what some of the rendering tutorials are telling me.

Hope you find, or others point US to, some good resources for understanding the rendering environment better.
ntxdave 

Re: Glossary of Terms Needed - New To Rendering  Topic is solved

Postby JQL » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:35 pm

AGiam9 wrote:Tools (need to understand what they do)

1) Relight
2) Repaint

Relight is a specific Thea render feature. It allows you to activate it and change light power and colors while rendering or save your render in an img.thea file and do it after rendering. You can render with Relight turned on in Sketchup, but can only actually perform the Relight function in Thea Studio. Double click an img.thea file in your PC and it opens Darkroom for you to Relight the image.

Repaint is a feature that allows you to save a Thea render as a Colimo file. This means that you can open it up in Colimo software and change textures on the fly from a produced render.

AGiam9 wrote:Terms (need to understand what they are)

1) Threads
2) Tracing Depth
3) Diffuse Depth
4) Clamp Level

Threads are the amount of computing cores in your PC.

Tracing Depth is the amount of transparent faces the render engine will compute. If you are getting black materials where there was supposed to be a transparent material, your Tracing Depth is probably too low.

Diffuse depth is the amount of indirect lighting bounces that will be calculated. The light ray is cast, reflected on a face and bounces back to other faces. The more bounces it makes the more natural it looks and the longer it takes to render. Balancing these is not that hard. If you improve bounces to a point you cannot see the difference in your render output, you're there. Often 5 is the default value but you can increase it if light isn't reaching every corner.

Clamp is meant to reduce the Bit depth of an image in order to render it faster. Thea renders in full 32-bit depths but a jpg can only show 8-bit. If you render the full 32-bit you're theorically wasting render time. However if you render a 32-bit depth image, the amount of color information you have, will allow you to, in post production software, turn extremelly dark images into colorful, or extremelly bright into mid values, while if you render in 8 bit depth, if you have darker areas they will stay that way and if you try to push them into bright, you will get artifacts.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby AGiam9 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:22 pm

Thank you both for your replies! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who faces this confusion and @JQL those definitions definitely will help me utilize those features, so thank you very much!

AGiam9 

Postby McGyver » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:42 pm

I just came across this thread, so sorry for a very late reply.
Back in 2010 I put together a "Glossary of terms" for folks new to CGI... It's more for the Poser/DAZ Studio community, but most of the terms apply to CGI in general.
https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion ... -3d#latest
It's also a little old, as seven CGI years are equal to like 20 human years (or 10,000 Apple years), but they mostly still apply too.
It's info collected from a lot of different sites, books and other sources (including a squirrel named Tim who knew a surprising amount about CAD).

Also... Sorry about the insertion of stupid humor throughout.
McGyver 

Postby McGyver » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:11 pm

There is also this glossary that is more specific to SketchUp
https://sites.google.com/site/sagesuwik ... y/glossary
It contains a glossary of SU rendering terms too.
McGyver 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Thea