SketchUp 3D Basecamp 2012

Re: SketchUp 3D Basecamp 2012

Postby aidanchopra » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:30 am

The biggest piece of news (as yet unannounced) is that we'll be charging a registration fee this year. There are several reasons for this change, but the most important two are:

1. We need to offset some of the cost of doing the event. Google was able to absorb large expenses like this one, but as a more-or-less independent entity inside of Trimble, we simply can't. By asking people to pay something (not a lot, relative to what other conferences cost), we can meet folks' expectations. Nothing lavish, nothing gaudy. Just a space that's big enough, tech that works, some food and drink, a modest party, and an awesome T-shirt to wear on dates with other SketchUp enthusiasts.

2. At the last two Basecamps, which were free, a lot people who said they were coming, didn't. This left unused capacity, which was a shame given how many people would have liked to come. The thought this year is that by asking people to pay a little, we'll have a better idea of who's actually going to join us.

As of this moment, we're planning to charge $200 per person for normal registration, and $150 for the discounted pre-registration I mentioned in my previous post. We estimate that this should cover about half our costs for the event, which we think is fair.

Does this sound reasonable?

aidanchopra 

Postby Dave R » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:20 am

Aidan, that sounds reasonable to me. I can appreciate the costs involved and without the deep pockets of a company like Google, I can imagine it wouldn't be possible to do this without a registration fee. And your point about those who said they'd come and didn't is a good one. Thanks for the clarification.
Etaoin Shrdlu

%

(THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

M30

%
Dave R 
Global Moderator

Postby wyatt » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:56 am

I guess I shouldn't be shocked that people skipped out on the free events before, and yet that's just amazing. In light of that, I definitely see the point of asking people to invest something in the experience. I know you guys will make it worth every penny so I'm not too concerned about the arrangement you've proposed.

wyatt 

Postby cwmunro » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:36 am

@ Aidan

Thanks for the update. I will be waiting on pins and needles to pre register. I made a deal with my employer that if he paid for my gas and lodging, I would use a few vacation days so he doesn't have to come out of pocket to pay me to sit in a conference for three days AND pay for my vacation days.

I'll get to go to the conference for free and take vacation at the same time. Works for me!
C W Munro
Professional Building Designer
http://www.thealaddincompany.com
cwmunro 

Postby boofredlay » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:15 am

That does sound fair Aidan and I would gladly pay the fee if I could go this time but unfortunately I cannot. Hopefully I will be able to attend the next one.
boofredlay 
Global Moderator

Postby thomthom » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:43 am

Any hints to who's doing the presentations?
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Mike Lucey » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:22 pm

MONEY!

In always gets some attention :)

Aidan, I think a charge is perfectly reasonable and that is coming from a tight fisted b&*^$£d, me! I have attended all 3D Basecamps, the @Last one and the two Google ones. Yes, they were all free. In the case of @Last's 3DBC, I think it was a case of a big 'thank you' for many of the attendees as it was felt that they were instrumental in the original growth of SketchUp. As regards the Google 3DBCs, I imagine their accountants office did not notice the invoice coming in.

From what I imagine SketchUp now has to 'pay its way' so to speak. I have also commented on this in other threads and this is normal business. Fair enough, Trimble is a billion+ turnover company but they obviously have a bottom line, otherwise they would go out of business.

The suggested charges to attendees are quite low in comparison to similar events and it is obvious that SketchUp is not out to make a killing in any way. I had actually thought some time ago that the SketchUp 3DBC might be bulked in with Trimble Dimensions in Vegas. The costs for this 3 day event are, 'Early Bird' $895, Regular Registration $995 and Late Registration $1,195. So compared to these costs what is being asked in most reasonable.

I also agree that in the past the free events were abused to some extent. On a side note something similar happened at the London Olympics, with all those empty seats and people outside the doors with cash in there hand, trying to get in!

The only suggestion I would make in relation to the advance payment is that if someone genuinely can't make it due to sickness etc, that they get back their payment on showing proof of any prepaid tickets, accommodation etc. In some cases they may have to forfeit their advance payment travel costs. At least a refund of the event payment would soften the blow for them.

My final suggestion ..... maybe a daft one ...... is that it might be an idea to have a raffle for a super duper laptop, a new MacBook Pro (retina) or a compatible Win laptop or better. I imagine Trimble could be talked into sponsoring this! It might add a little further spice to the event as when the attendees sign up / pay up they not only get a ticket to the event, they also also a raffle ticket for a chance to win a dream machine. Maybe the raffle could be held at the shin dig!

Mike
Mike Lucey 
Mayor

Postby Rich O Brien » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:20 pm

No problem with paying here.
There's a frontroom and a backroom....reverse faces
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby Rich O Brien » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:26 pm

BTW,

Has anyone here booked the Goldenbuff Lodge already? If so, we organised a reduced rate for SCF members but rooms are limited and a booking code is needed to avail of the deal.

If you have booked and want more details just PM me with the particulars.
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby Mike Lucey » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:32 pm

.... a little further on one of the above suggestions. Maybe SketchUp could get some of the hardware and software companies to sponsor prizes. It would be good publicity and PR for them. Names like Wacom, 3D Connexion, Apple, etc etc come to mind.

If this could be organized, there would be a barrow load of prizes and great fun seeing folks get them :thumb:
Mike Lucey 
Mayor

Postby wyatt » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:50 pm

It's always fun to win something. :berserk: I remember Google had door prizes at the 2008 Basecamp, and many conferences I've been to have done something similar. Some have also refunded the registration cost to a lucky attendee.

I hadn't thought about how future Basecamps might disappear into the bigger Trimble conferences...didn't even know Trimble had a conference to be honest. I'm happy to see we can still have our own. ;)

wyatt 

Postby dale » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:04 pm

Certainly not an unreasonable price. I was actually always surprised that the previous BaseCamps had no charge.
This represents a serious trip for a lot of folks here, and I think you will find no difficulty in getting a little upfront financial commitment considering the other costs that will be incurred to participate.
OK let's cut to the chase... where do I send my bribe :D
Just monkeying around....like Monsanto
dale 
Top SketchUcator

Postby TIG » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:25 pm

It's certainly not an 'unreasonable price' - especially when it's compare with the related costs to which some of us might otherwise be committed - like flying half-way round the world, then getting to Boulder, paying to stay in a hotel for several days, our food and drink etc...

The hinted possibility that the fee might result in potential 'prizes' is also welcome...

However, there were suggestions that some plugin-authors etc might be asked to give presentations on day three... so asking users like myself, thomthom, chis_fullmer et al to pay to get there, pay to stay there, pay to get in... and then provide a sizable chunk of a day's content, does seem perhaps somewhat disproportionate... considering that Trimble have managed to scrape together a few million $$$ to buy SketchUp, while the rest of us are struggling every day to pay our bills too and still attend: so it's a little disappointing that they have such little faith that their SketchUp user-base will 'turn up' unless they've 'paid to go'... Most of us will go because we love SketchUp, NOT because we are some 'corporate software users'... This is SketchUp+Trimble NOT AutoCAD+AutoDesk etc after all... :roll:

Just ideas... as some great man once said ;)

But then I want to go anyway... :bounce:
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby Gaieus » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:34 pm

TIG, if that is the case - and there will indeed be presentations - I am sure they will find something out (hint-hint...) That was the case in 2008 as well - when not only it was free (for everyone) but also expenses were covered for those presenting (well not "in the name" of some 3rd party developers but SketchUp stuff itself).

This is a general practice on conferences anyway. Last year I also presented (that was an archaeological conference BTW - as I have never really given up my original profession) and even my wife's costs were covered!

BTW Aidan: I have a wife and a dog I would also like to bring... :)
Gaieus 

Postby Dave R » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:36 pm

And Csaba will be especially happy to win a door prize if it is beer. :lol:
Etaoin Shrdlu

%

(THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

M30

%
Dave R 
Global Moderator

Postby Gaieus » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:38 pm

You know I would share it anyway...
And the raffle can also be rigged - in case it's about beer! :roll:
Gaieus 

Postby Mike Lucey » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:40 pm

... well at least Aidan is getting, what I think is, positive / constructive feedback from the SCF.

Its up Trimble now as to how they want to march on with many of the 'faithful'! We are a reasonable bunch but we also have limitations, especially financial ones these days :D
Mike Lucey 
Mayor

Postby JClements » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:43 pm

Thank you, Aidan, for your quick response.

Yes, your replies were "reasonable".
John
Illustrator
Beaverton, Oregon
JClements 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil Rader, AIA » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:26 pm

Rich O Brien wrote:BTW,

Has anyone here booked the Goldenbuff Lodge already? If so, we organised a reduced rate for SCF members but rooms are limited and a booking code is needed to avail of the deal.

If you have booked and want more details just PM me with the particulars.

Tried calling them but the one I called did not have any information about an SCF group rate etc. Can someone send me the information I'd like to book a room.

Phil Rader, AIA 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Phil Rader, AIA » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:40 pm

aidanchopra wrote:
Does this sound reasonable?

Sounds Reasonable to me. And I would Second Gaieus in offering a prize. It would be a nice incentive plus you could get buy in from some hardware and software companies to the new Trimble SketchUP.

Phil Rader, AIA 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Rich O Brien » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:30 pm

Phil Rader, AIA wrote:Tried calling them but the one I called did not have any information about an SCF group rate etc. Can someone send me the information I'd like to book a room.

I sent you a mail
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby RichMorin » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:38 pm

Mike Lucey wrote:Maybe SketchUp could get some of the hardware and software companies to sponsor prizes.

If this were a larger event, some vendors might want to have booths. Even with the current size, you might get some action on selling vendor tables at a reception. Offering some free tables to open source plugin developers would also be a nice touch...

Mashing this up with Mike's suggestion, a vendor might be willing to bring (or send) toys for us to play with and then make them available as raffle items, etc. There are a variety of HW and SW products that play nicely with SketchUp, to say nothing about Trimble's other products.
RichMorin 

Postby wyatt » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:13 pm

RichMorin wrote: There are a variety of HW and SW products that play nicely with SketchUp, to say nothing about Trimble's other products.

Indeed, the surveyors I work with would be thrilled if I came home with one of these! :shock:

trimbles3-01-02-03.jpg

wyatt 

Postby Mike Lucey » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:39 pm

.... now you are cooking!

How about the GateWing X100

Mike Lucey 
Mayor

Postby Jimmymino » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:50 pm

I am anxiously waiting for Tuesday the 21st.... I have not been to a Basecamp but will definitely be there and the $200 is a very reasonable fee. Im also glad to see there are events after the events and look forward to meeting all of you!

+1 on the giveaways! Im totally for that.
Jimmy Miño
Owner
the archiTECHtural workshop
www.thearchitechturalworkshop.com

Jimmymino 

Postby Gaieus » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:54 pm

Mike Lucey wrote:.... now you are cooking!

How about the GateWing X100

I was thinking about the same. This could be invaluable when we are taking aerial photos of archaeological sites. The guy I work with in this field told me that for this price, he could buy an aeroplane (some Cessna) and he would still end up with around 3 Million HUF (~$13-14K) for petrol. And he likes flying.
Gaieus 

Postby RichMorin » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:59 pm

RichMorin 

Postby bgrubin » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:04 pm

I had a great time 2 years ago, would love the opportunity to go again!
I'd like to think my nudging for proper film lenses helped push that ACT package along. Thanks B. Brown!

bgrubin 

Postby Phil Rader, AIA » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:14 pm

Phil Rader, AIA 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Gaieus » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:29 pm

Phil Rader, AIA wrote:how about one of these:

http://www.trimble.com/Outdoor-Rugged-C ... D=features

Can you also phone with them? :?
Gaieus