Old Downtown

Old Downtown

Postby tuna1957 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:57 pm

Have had the idea for this for quite some time. Finally trying to finish it ! Is my first serious attempt at using Match Photo for the buildings. Still have some of the small bits and pieces to get modeled. Intend this for a late night render experiment. Have to see how that goes. :fro:

tuna1957 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Old Downtown

Postby ntxdave » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:12 pm

Good start. Looking forward to see where you go with it.
ntxdave 

Postby Bryan K » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:23 am

Whoa. Match photo?

Whoa. Excellent modeling. :thumb:
Bryan K 

Postby tuna1957 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:32 pm

Thanks ntxdave. Thanks Bryan. Nothing real exciting about using match photo on my part. Just used it to get the approximate size of the buildings worked out , widow spacing and such. Reference photo wasn't high res enough to be real exact. Took a fair amount of adjusting after getting basic shapes. :fro:

tuna1957 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby tuna1957 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:19 pm

Think I have the modeling part done.... Starting on render testing. An early morning render test , mainly checking texture set ups. Also posting an overall view of how I've set up the model if that's of any interest.

tuna1957 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby ntxdave » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:41 pm

OK, call me dumb. I do not understand the buildings (picture of buildings) across the street from the original buildings in the first image. However, I am looking forward to seeing where you are going. Looks like you have a great start.
ntxdave 

Postby tuna1957 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:56 pm

ntxdave , no question is dumb it’s how we learn. The building cutout is to give reflections in the windows of the storefronts in the render view.

tuna1957 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby ntxdave » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:06 pm

Aaaah, I missed that. Views it on my small iPad so did not see them. :thumb:
ntxdave 

Postby L i am » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:00 am

Hi Tuna, Really nice start mate :thumb: If you have the patients to finish it properly and are willing to take the time with details that is going to be an absolute cracking render :thumb: :thumb:
Just a thought....SU "fog' may assist with the atmosphere if done well ;)

I have attathed some models/textures that may be worth considering using in your model. The intersecion might be gold if you can scale it to fit.
Also have a look at models by "Cronoz-artes" in 3D Warehouse, he is amazing with texturing. His street furniture would be perfect to use in your model....absolutely perfect ;)
Hope this stuff helps

Have a look at: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/user/d ... es#contact. He is amazing

Covers and asphalt.skp

Intersection.skp

L i am 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby tuna1957 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:55 pm

L i am , Thanks for your input it's always helpful. Appreciate you taking the time to post some models although I can't use them :oops: , I work in SU 2015 primarily but also have SU2018 installed...... Not real big on using models out of the warehouse , I try to muddle my way through the best I can building what I need if I don't have it in my "model library" already. Will admit though the car I'm using is a Formfont model purchased back when I was still getting paid for this kind of work. Also have some curtains in upstairs windows that are out of Solo's Curtain Pack in the SketchUcation store.

Have a pretty good visual in mind of where I want to go with this model, trying to recreate a montage of places I've been and seen in earlier years before stoplights on every corner and signs every five feet telling you what not to do....

Guess I'll keep pecking away at it as time allows.... Posting another lo-res render test. Messing with textures and tried a sunrise HDRI I haven't used before.... Cheers all :fro: .

tuna1957 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby L i am » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:49 am

All good Tuna, Just in case you can use them I have attached models in SU 2015. Others may do so as well.
covers and patches 2015.skp
Intersection 2015.skp

L i am 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bryan K » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:28 am

Looking good. Real good. Keep on. :thumb:
Bryan K 

Postby tuna1957 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:15 pm

L i am , didn't really expect you to go to the trouble of reposting those models, many thanks for the effort. Thanks Bryan , still plugging along . Making little changes , tweaking on textures and bunches of quick test renders. I'll get there eventually :fro:

tuna1957 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Mike Amos » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:51 am

Very nice piece, looking forward to progressions. :thumb:

Mike Amos 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby tuna1957 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:49 pm

Thanks Mike. Here's another test render..... been making small changes to the model itself and down to tweaking texture set ups in Twilight. Doing bunches of short test renders..... All in all it's progressing I think :?:

tuna1957 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby ntxdave » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:46 pm

tuna1957 wrote:.... All in all it's progressing I think :?:

Agree :thumb: :thumb:
ntxdave 

Postby tuna1957 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:25 pm

Thanks ntxdave. Still tweaking on the model and textures. Getting a little carried away, models up over a million edges now ;) Road surface giving me fits. What looks good in daytime render not so good when I test. It in nighttime light. Go figure. I’ll get it figured out eventually :fro:

tuna1957 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bryan K » Sat May 01, 2021 1:27 am

Yep. Looking good!
Bryan K 

Postby tuna1957 » Sat May 01, 2021 6:20 am

Thanks Bryan. Posting the latest version of the model as of today. Minor tweaks here and there ! I'm starting to obsess
over the details now....... :lol: . Also posting a test render that I took into Gimp and went black and white with it. Was kind of fun experiment that I've never tried before :fro:

tuna1957 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby ntxdave » Sat May 01, 2021 3:15 pm

In some ways I think I like the black and white one the best. Given the type, and apparent age of the buildings and car, it looks like an old photo of a small town (kind of like the town where I grew up) back in the 50’s. :thumb:
ntxdave 

Postby HornOxx » Sat May 01, 2021 5:27 pm

This is an outstanding work Charles! - and yes, also my favourite is the black and white picture. Only the so shiny car without a licence plate reveals for me, that it is a render instead of a photo.
It reflects entirely all the perceptions(?) of a small town in the USA, even for someone like me, who has never been there...
never trust a skinny cook
HornOxx 

Postby tuna1957 » Sat May 01, 2021 6:16 pm

Thanks guys..... A license plate ! Darn I new I'd forget something obvious :lol: . HornOxx your not off about the car having to much shine. Been experimenting with layering "dirt/grunge" maps over the paint in Twilight but haven't quite got the look right yet. The experiments continue !

tuna1957 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bryan K » Sat May 01, 2021 10:41 pm

That black and white looks like a photo!
Bryan K 

Postby alvis » Sun May 02, 2021 5:34 pm

Bryan K wrote:That black and white looks like a photo!

Yap :thumb:
alvis 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby tuna1957 » Sun May 02, 2021 7:30 pm

Bryan , alvis thanks gents. Posting another test render. This one I used a sunrise HDRI for the environment. Rendered at a larger size than earlier test. Of course I had to do a bit of messing about with Gimp..... Far from perfect but I think I'm making progress.

tuna1957 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby L i am » Mon May 03, 2021 3:39 am

Nice work and definately progressing, the thing I like is that you are moving forward and not just saying that is good enough. That experimenting is what sets aside an OK render from an exellent render. If I can say one thing it is the left botom kerb it looks to pristine. I would expect to see some cracks and or rubbish.......leaves, a coke can or scrunched up paper bag etc. Keep up the good work :thumb: :thumb: And you say you have an old computer. You have patients to burn ;)

L i am 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bryan K » Mon May 03, 2021 5:26 am

That's looking good enough to call it done. :thumb:

Better and better!
Bryan K 

Postby tuna1957 » Mon May 03, 2021 5:20 pm

Thanks L i am, Bryan. Still have a way to go with this thing. Gave some thought to trying to do some damage to the curb, haven't come up with anything yet that "looks right" to me yet. The lack of grass scattered about is on purpose. This things sort of a time machine for me, back to a time when people didn't trash everything up and you weren't stepping on shitty disposable diapers in every parking lot..... :fro: :thumb:

tuna1957 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pbacot » Mon May 03, 2021 5:52 pm

This is so excellent! All around great work. If you are not tired of it, I, for one, enjoy seeing the polishing up of elements! The different time scenes and black and white! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I had a different thought independently though. I too was looking for a little trash. People in the mid century US did throw a lot of trash. At first it didn't seem to matter then built up with more disposables. That's why litter laws were invented. But then it would be random paper and tin cans. There are so many more people now and there is so much more plastic, that even with greater awareness areas get trashed. And which parking lots are you frequenting?!

The weeds are perfect though!
MacOSX Mojave High Sierra SketchUp Pro v19 Twilight v2 Thea v2 PowerCADD
pbacot 
Top SketchUcator

Postby tuna1957 » Mon May 03, 2021 10:09 pm

In reference to the modeling and rendering Thanks pbacot !

On another note I figured I might be opening a can of worms with my "trash comment". Lets just say this is my observance and my point of view...... I'm just not going to be able to "trash" up this scene. My observance growing up and being around places such as I'm depicting I just never saw a lot of litter in these main street areas. Out along the roads and highways was a different matter. As for the shitty diaper comment I've seen this in store parking lots big and small all over this country. Easier to toss it on the ground then keep it in the car until they get home I guess. :(

I'll stop my ranting now and get back on topic... :lol: . Posting a daytime render I ran last night. Rendered at a higher resolution than previous efforts. I told the cook to move his car out back ! As usual rendered in Twilight and post pro in Gimp. I did put the sky image in post pro. Well back to tweaking textures... If you all get tired of my craziness just tell me to stop ! :fro: ;)

tuna1957 
Premium Member
Premium Member

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Next

Return to WIP