[Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.5 - 29 Jan. 2020

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.0.7 - 11 Jan. 2020

Postby Ahmed0007 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:39 pm

samuel_t wrote:
Ahmed0007 wrote:any other way to donate? paypal is not available in my country.


Bank transfer. I can send you my IBAN in PM if you want to make a donation without PayPal.


sure!
0

Ahmed0007 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.0.8 - 12 Jan. 2020

Postby samuel_t » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:23 am

1.0.8 version:

- Allows you to apply a polygon reduction on current SketchUp model via toolbar.
- Fixes model import with embedded textures. Up to 10 textures are supported.
- Names imported model with original filename. This should eases management.

Download latest Universal Importer plugin from SketchUcation PluginStore.
4
Last edited by samuel_t on Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
samuel_t 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.0.6 - 10 Jan. 2020

Postby samuel_t » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:25 am

Oxer wrote:
Einstein wrote:By the way, I think it would be cool to also have polygon reduction as standalone tool for meshes that already exist in SketchUp. Because we haven't had a decent free polyreducer in SketchUp so far. It's just a suggestion.


It's a good idea :thumb:


This idea was implemented in v1.0.8. cf. Toolbar.
2
User avatar
samuel_t 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.0.3 - 08 Jan. 2020

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:33 pm

samuel_t wrote:Famous plugins like Artisan and Skatter are using C:\ProgramData. This isn't a problem.

For Skatter, we use ProgramData only for the initial install, not for temp files.
0
User avatar
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.0.3 - 08 Jan. 2020

Postby samuel_t » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:56 pm

jiminy-billy-bob wrote:
samuel_t wrote:Famous plugins like Artisan and Skatter are using C:\ProgramData. This isn't a problem.

For Skatter, we use ProgramData only for the initial install, not for temp files.


OK.
0
User avatar
samuel_t 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.0.8 - 12 Jan. 2020

Postby Khai » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:43 pm

for a future time, any chance of supporting grouping of imported meshes?
0

Khai 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.0.8 - 12 Jan. 2020

Postby samuel_t » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:25 pm

Khai wrote:for a future time, any chance of supporting grouping of imported meshes?


Chances are low since mesh hierarchy is lost during conversion. :?
0
User avatar
samuel_t 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.0.8 - 12 Jan. 2020

Postby Khai » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:51 pm

oh. not good.. since if you import a mesh in sections rather than in a hierachy, the way that SU places it in scene - you manually placing it instead of just in position - makes lining it all up again a nightmare if you've got large sets...

hmm no matter.... I can work round it...
0

Khai 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.0.9 - 12 Jan. 2020

Postby samuel_t » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:50 pm

1.0.9 version:

- Supports up to 1000 embedded textures.
- Shows face count before/after reduction.

Download latest Universal Importer plugin from SketchUcation PluginStore.
6
User avatar
samuel_t 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.0.9 - 12 Jan. 2020

Postby ehc2000 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:37 pm

Hi,
Really excited about this plugin!

Mac OS X 10.11.6 , SU 18.0.16976

It’s not working for me. Trying some simple .obj files (ca. 9mb) and get this message (after I get the "Do you want to reduce polygon count?" and "Model Height" Dialogs:

Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 1.51.49 PM.png


Tried some .ply files of the same object, same message.

Tried a very simple, small .stl file (750kb) and got:


Universal Importer Error: No space left on device - write
/Applications/SketchUp 2018/SketchUp.app/Contents/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.2/lib/ruby/2.2.0/fileutils.rb:1393:in `copy_stream'

Universal Importer Version: 1.0.9


Indeed, my HD is very full, but at the time of my import attempt, it had ca. 4GB free space, no other programs were running, aside from Chrome.

Does it need to make use of more than 4GB of temp space to import a file with only 7,500 vertices and 15,000 faces?

As a last attempt before I write here, I made a super simple 2m cube and 2m sphere in C4D and exported as OBJ (274 verts 540 faces) and I still got the error as the above screenshot. I also tried this with a simple 2x2m plane. No luck.

Something I'm missing?

a few other notes/questions:
• If I press Cancel after “Model Height” (i like this feature, by the way), it still (attempts) to opens the file... is that because it is then opening the file at whatever size it’s been set to previously? or is it supposed to cancel the import?

• I can’t double click a file name and have it import it (like if I were pressing "Open") (wheras I can when with the normal import dialog with other images and 3D models already supported by SU). it’s a minor thing, but double-clicking a file in any OSX UI opens it (or at least many do), so it's pretty ingrained in my workflow. ;)


anyway, thoughts on the error messages?
Thanks!!
0

ehc2000 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.0.9 - 12 Jan. 2020

Postby samuel_t » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:30 pm

ehc2000 wrote:[...]
Mac OS X 10.11.6 , SU 18.0.16976


I think program used by this plugin (Assimp) is not compatible with MacOS X El Capitan (10.11). :?
Plugin works for sure on macOS High Sierra (10.13) and potentially with macOS versions > 10.13.

ehc2000 wrote:[...]
Tried a very simple, small .stl file (750kb) and got:

Universal Importer Error: No space left on device - write
/Applications/SketchUp 2018/SketchUp.app/Contents/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.2/lib/ruby/2.2.0/fileutils.rb:1393:in `copy_stream'

Universal Importer Version: 1.0.9


Indeed, my HD is very full, but at the time of my import attempt, it had ca. 4GB free space, no other programs were running, aside from Chrome.

Does it need to make use of more than 4GB of temp space to import a file with only 7,500 vertices and 15,000 faces?


Don't select a model that is stored at root of /Users/$user/Desktop or /Users/$user/Downloads.
Since v1.1.1 of plugin, only necessary files are copied to temp directory: model and textures. Period.

ehc2000 wrote:[...]
• If I press Cancel after “Model Height” (i like this feature, by the way), it still (attempts) to opens the file... is that because it is then opening the file at whatever size it’s been set to previously? or is it supposed to cancel the import?


It's too late. Import process can't be aborted at this stage.

ehc2000 wrote:• I can’t double click a file name and have it import it (like if I were pressing "Open") (wheras I can when with the normal import dialog with other images and 3D models already supported by SU). it’s a minor thing, but double-clicking a file in any OSX UI opens it (or at least many do), so it's pretty ingrained in my workflow. ;)


I can't fix this problem. It seems related to SketchUp API.
0
Last edited by samuel_t on Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
samuel_t 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.0.9 - 12 Jan. 2020

Postby Oxer » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:17 pm

Spanish Language for v1.0.9

es.zip


REQUEST: Can you investigate the missing texts in the importing popup windows on macos? I think for users it's very useful to see the text to understand what have to do.
1
"The result is the end what is important is the process" by Oxer
http://www.oxervision.blogspot.com/
User avatar
Oxer 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.0.9 - 12 Jan. 2020

Postby samuel_t » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:02 pm

Oxer wrote:Spanish Language for v1.0.9

es.zip



Thanks for translation, Oxer. ;)

Oxer wrote:REQUEST: Can you investigate the missing texts in the importing popup windows on macos? I think for users it's very useful to see the text to understand what have to do.


I can't fix this problem because:

"[On a Mac] UI.openpanel ignores the title argument. There isn’t even a place in the dialog for a title to appear. It also doesn’t support wildcard patterns for the filename and there is no place for a selection list to appear anyway. In fact, the filename argument appears to have no effect at all; it isn’t pre-selected and the user can choose anything."

Source: https://forums.sketchup.com/t/good-defa ... el/40307/6
0
User avatar
samuel_t 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.0.9 - 12 Jan. 2020

Postby Oxer » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:43 pm

Thanks for the aclaration.
Thea4SU plugin has an options to Create or Edit Thea Model in it appears a tittle and options to select model format, see the image.

Texts in window.jpg


I'm Thea4SU beta tester and I can ask to Tomasz (TheaSU developer) if it's possible implement that in Universal Importer.
1
Last edited by Oxer on Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The result is the end what is important is the process" by Oxer
http://www.oxervision.blogspot.com/
User avatar
Oxer 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.0.9 - 12 Jan. 2020

Postby samuel_t » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:47 pm

Oxer wrote:Thanks for the aclaration.
Thea4SU plugin has an options to Create or Edit Thea Model in it appears a tittle and options to selec model format, see the image.

Texts in window.jpg


I'm Thea4SU beta tester and I can ask to Tomasz (TheaSU developer) if it's possible implement that in Universal Importer.


Good idea!
0
User avatar
samuel_t 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.0 - 13 Jan. 2020

Postby samuel_t » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:44 pm

1.1.0 version:

- Fixes "big copy" issue again.
- Shows face count before reduction.
- Updates translations.

Download latest Universal Importer plugin from SketchUcation PluginStore.
4
User avatar
samuel_t 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.0.7 - 11 Jan. 2020

Postby Ahmed0007 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:53 am

Ahmed0007 wrote:Error :?
.glb 7.9mb
Model is here : https://www.dropbox.com/s/bte329pn42gs5 ... b.zip?dl=0


this issue has been fixed in this version :o :bounce:
just one little problem is the origin of the imported component placed very far away from geometry
(~ 13579.78') this make very difficult to place the component.
Thanks for this fix :D
1

Ahmed0007 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.0 - 13 Jan. 2020

Postby pilou » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:43 am

1
Frenchy Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
Speedy Galerie
User avatar
pilou 
Top SketchUcator
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.0.7 - 11 Jan. 2020

Postby samuel_t » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:59 am

Ahmed0007 wrote:[...]
just one little problem is the origin of the imported component placed very far away from geometry
(~ 13579.78') this make very difficult to place the component.
[...]


To locate "far from origin" component: Open Outliner in SketchUp. Select component. Zoom Selection.
0
User avatar
samuel_t 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.0.7 - 11 Jan. 2020

Postby Ahmed0007 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:36 pm

samuel_t wrote:
Ahmed0007 wrote:[...]
just one little problem is the origin of the imported component placed very far away from geometry
(~ 13579.78') this make very difficult to place the component.
[...]


To locate "far from origin" component: Open Outliner in SketchUp. Select component. Zoom Selection.


Thanks :thumb:
0

Ahmed0007 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.0 - 13 Jan. 2020

Postby Einstein » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:11 pm

Hi, Samuel!

I have reinstalled MS Visual C++ as you advised and now I can import stuff :) Thank you!

Still a couple of things bother me a bit.

1. The plugin always asks how big the imported model should be. It doesn't preserve its original size.

2. I was thinking of remesher tool as one working on selection, which would be more comfortable than remeshing entire model, as it goes now.
However, the remesher icon is beautiful! 10/10 for it :D

3. When I import a model with multiple textures, I can only select one texture file and that texture is applied.
Sometimes I can but another time I cannot have all textures included. Some models may be badly textured but I'm almost sure that I tried importing the same chair as TutorialsUp did with success, while I didn't get both textures (only one). I'm attaching both OBJ and FBX version of the model.
0

Einstein 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.0 - 13 Jan. 2020

Postby samuel_t » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:06 pm

Einstein wrote:Hi, Samuel!


Hi Einstein! ;)

Einstein wrote:I have reinstalled MS Visual C++ as you advised and now I can import stuff :) Thank you!


8-)

Einstein wrote:[...]
1. The plugin always asks how big the imported model should be. It doesn't preserve its original size.


Scaling feature doesn't work for all formats. :?

Einstein wrote:2. I was thinking of remesher tool as one working on selection, which would be more comfortable than remeshing entire model, as it goes now.
[...]


I tried to make it work with selection only but I don't know why it was VERY slow. So I gave up this idea...

Einstein wrote:3. When I import a model with multiple textures, I can only select one texture file and that texture is applied.
Sometimes I can but another time I cannot have all textures included. Some models may be badly textured but I'm almost sure that I tried importing the same chair as TutorialsUp did with success, while I didn't get both textures (only one). I'm attaching both OBJ and FBX version of the model.


I inspected attached model. Indeed, it doesn't reference any texture. In this case: you have to remap textures in a external software before importing model in SketchUp. Since v1.1.3, it's no more an issue.
1
Last edited by samuel_t on Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
samuel_t 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.0 - 13 Jan. 2020

Postby andsgf » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:36 pm

Вот такая ошибка
0

andsgf 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.0 - 13 Jan. 2020

Postby samuel_t » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:24 pm

andsgf wrote:Вот такая ошибка


I suppose polygon reduction fails because face count is low at start (387). I can't fix this problem. :?
0
User avatar
samuel_t 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.0 - 13 Jan. 2020

Postby Ahmed0007 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:39 pm

samuel_t wrote:
andsgf wrote:Вот такая ошибка


I suppose polygon reduction fails because face count is low at start (387). I can't fix this problem. :?


it's working after running cleanup extension on it.
0

Ahmed0007 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.1 - 14 Jan. 2020

Postby samuel_t » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:48 pm

1.1.1 version:

- Copies only necessary files to temp dir.
- Shows model face count during import.

Download latest Universal Importer plugin from SketchUcation PluginStore.
1
User avatar
samuel_t 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.1 - 14 Jan. 2020

Postby juju » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:01 pm

samuel_t wrote:1.1.1 version:

- Copies only necessary files to temp dir.
- Shows model face count during import.

Download latest Universal Importer plugin from SketchUcation PluginStore.

I'm getting this message when trying to download:

"Sorry this plugin is not published at the moment. Probably under editing by the author. Please check later."
0
Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.
User avatar
juju 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.1 - 14 Jan. 2020

Postby samuel_t » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:06 pm

juju wrote:
samuel_t wrote:1.1.1 version:

- Copies only necessary files to temp dir.
- Shows model face count during import.

Download latest Universal Importer plugin from SketchUcation PluginStore.

I'm getting this message when trying to download:

"Sorry this plugin is not published at the moment. Probably under editing by the author. Please check later."


Please check now. It should be fine.
1
User avatar
samuel_t 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.1 - 14 Jan. 2020

Postby juju » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:50 am

samuel_t wrote:
juju wrote:
samuel_t wrote:1.1.1 version:

- Copies only necessary files to temp dir.
- Shows model face count during import.

Download latest Universal Importer plugin from SketchUcation PluginStore.

I'm getting this message when trying to download:

"Sorry this plugin is not published at the moment. Probably under editing by the author. Please check later."


Please check now. It should be fine.

Still can't download, not published.
0
Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.
User avatar
juju 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.1 - 14 Jan. 2020

Postby samuel_t » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:41 am

juju wrote:
samuel_t wrote:
juju wrote:
samuel_t wrote:1.1.1 version:

- Copies only necessary files to temp dir.
- Shows model face count during import.

Download latest Universal Importer plugin from SketchUcation PluginStore.

I'm getting this message when trying to download:

"Sorry this plugin is not published at the moment. Probably under editing by the author. Please check later."


Please check now. It should be fine.

Still can't download, not published.


Yet it's published. Try following routines: Clear your browser cache. Reboot your Internet router.
0
User avatar
samuel_t 
 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago



Ad Machine 
Robot
 

PreviousNext


 

Return to Plugins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ddaranha, JS_GM, RaptoriaDef3 and 8 guests

Visit our sponsors: