[Plugin] FredoCorner - v1.6c - 20 Jun 19

Re: [Plugin] FredoCorner - v1.5b - 10 Jan 19

Postby uwesketch » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:40 am

Hi Fredo,

When using Catmull-Clark subdivision (i.e. Thomthoms SubD) to smooth a corner, then the subdivided corner in general is not an arc. It is more like a squircle. See pictures 2 - 4 below.
If subdivision shall generate something that is close to an arc with a given radius, then the control mesh to start with cannot be an arc with the same radius or a square. (See pictures 1 to 4).

You get very close to a circle after subdivision, if you start with a regular n-gon where the Inner radius is the same as the offset. (the first and last segment of the n-gon are coplanar to the side faces of the cube)
Therefore it would be helpful, if FredoCorner could provide an option under the category "SubDivision" to create profiles as regular N-Gons with the inner radius = offset.
In an earlier post I mentioned that a squircle with an exponent value of roughly 2.1 gives good results as well. But a regular n-gon as the profile is even better.

In addition when subdividing a rounded corner, you may not want the whole object to shrink (which Catmull-Clark subdivision does by definition). This can be easily achieved when setting the border edges to creased in SubD. This has been done in the below examples.

As you can see with an 8-gon you already get a subdivided surface being 1.2% off a circle. With a 16-gon you are only 0.6% off.

The currently provided "SubDivision" option is basically a regular 4-gon with "inner radius = offset" and hence the proposed n-gon profile can be seen as a generalization of the existing option.

FreThom Overview.png

Circle16s.png

Circle16s_subdiv.png

FredoCornerSubDivision 4-gon.png

FredoCornerSubDivision 4-gon subdiv.png

Reg 8-gon 2s.png

Reg 8-gon 2s subdiv.png

Reg 12-gon 3s.png

Reg 12-gon 3s subdiv.png

Reg 16-gon 4s.png

Reg 16-gon 4s subdiv.png

Reg 20-gon 5s.png

Reg 20-gon 5s subdiv.png
uwesketch 

Postby fredo6 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:22 pm

Einstein wrote:Now I realised that the issue I first described (not affecting all selected groups) only occurs when I make a group (say, simple cube) and copy it, so Entity Info says for example: "3 Solid Groups (3 in model)". This is a situation to avoid in general. SketchUp behaves strange when you copy groups and not edit the copies.

If I create groups independently and not duplicate them, FredoCorner works fine.

Nevertheless, due to the crash I caused in SketchUp 2018, I'm reporting this. The attached model contains a group that was duplicated twice and they cause problems with selection.

I fixed the problem when you preselect several groups which are fresh copies of each others (and thus share the same definition). It will go in the next release.

Einstein wrote:Referring to the second issue (with face division), I think that perfect solution would be a button toggling whether "chamfer-faces" are divided along, or not.

Actually I am looking for a more transparent solution which does what is appropriate to the situation. Not so easy however.
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby fredo6 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:29 pm

@uwesketch,

I am not sure I full understand the case, but apparently you would like that the SubDiv tool create several subdivision lines instead of one.

First the SubDiv tool is only useful if your solid has other faces that would be subdivided. If you just want to round a cube, then use the Rounding tool of FredoCorner, where you have the Circle profile.

Second, unless you have orthogonal faces like in a cube, you will never get uniform circular rounding in the solid whatever you do, because the profile will be stretched at some borders and corners to ensure the continuity of rounding.

Would have an example of solid which is not with orthogonal faces and where subdivision also affect other faces?
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Re: [Plugin] FredoCorner - v1.5c - 14 Feb 19

Postby fredo6 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:01 pm

NEW RELEASE: FredoCorner v1.5c - 14 Feb 19

Requirement: LibFredo6 8.7k

FredoCorner 1.5c fixes an issue when pre-selecting multiple groups, among which some are fresh copies of the others..

-----------------------------------------

Please note that, in the current version of FredoCorner:
- there are issues with some shortcut modifiers (Ctrl, Alt) on Mac)
- there are known issues and bugs here and there. This concerns in particular Collisions, i.e. when the offset is too large.
- Terminal corners (that is ending on a single edge) may present issues and bugs
- No documentation yet, so watch the videos that I will publish.

Please report issues, questions and any feedback in the present thread

Home Page of FredoCorner for information and Download.

Main post of this FredoCorner thread.
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby uwesketch » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:24 pm

Fredo wrote:
I am not sure I full understand the case, but apparently you would like that the SubDiv tool create several subdivision lines instead of one.

Yes, exactly: more lines .
The point is that the SubD Plugin will subdivide all faces in a Group/Component. So if I use a FredoCorner Circle to create a smooth corner (with many Segments) and then use as well SubD to smooth the rest of the component, SubD will subdivide as well the already smooth FredoCorner faces. This generates far too many faces and SubD will fail.

Therefore the idea is that FredoCorner should create a rough SubDivision mesh, so that SubD will generate a nice approximated circle for the corner and also smoothes the rest of the component.

I also tried it with an Edge where the two faces are not orthogonal. SubD will generate an approximated arc when using the proposed n-gon as a basis.

The existing option "Subdivision" in FredoCorner is good, but too rough of a mesh, if you want SubD to produce a "circle like" smoothing of the Corner.

Example of object using FredoCorner and SubD (only the Bell):
Bell_FreThom.png
uwesketch 

Postby fredo6 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:36 pm

I got it. This is just a little bit complicated, but probably doable.

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Einstein » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:54 pm

Hi!
I have a model where I want do bevel about 500 edges at once. I get an error "CATENA Compute all", whatever it means. It won't let me bevel these edges. Problem doesn't occur with Round Corner. Is it that Fredo Corner just doesn't manage too many edges? Even if so, 500 is not soo many. Even if I select some of them, problem still occurs. About 150 edges is maximum that can be performed.
Maybe it's because currently my SketchUp runs on integrated Intel graphics card with very limited performance.
I attach the problematic model.

/SketchUp 2017 on Win7

Einstein 

Postby Einstein » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:44 pm

Also there are mesh errors in some cases, when bevelling triangulated meshes.
+ screenshot with bug report in some other case of triangulated mesh.

Einstein 

Postby fredo6 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:29 am

Einstein wrote:I have a model where I want do bevel about 500 edges at once. I get an error "CATENA Compute all", whatever it means. It won't let me bevel these edges. Problem doesn't occur with Round Corner. Is it that Fredo Corner just doesn't manage too many edges? Even if so, 500 is not soo many. Even if I select some of them, problem still occurs. About 150 edges is maximum that can be performed.
Maybe it's because currently my SketchUp runs on integrated Intel graphics card with very limited performance.

Oops! Thanks for signaling. I unfortunately left some limitations for debugging purpose.

So fixed in next version.

FredoCorner - Einstein - Catena.gif

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Re: [Plugin] FredoCorner - v1.6a - 20 Feb 19

Postby fredo6 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:42 am

NEW RELEASE: FredoCorner v1.6a - 20 Feb 19

Requirement: LibFredo6 8.7k

FredoCorner 1.6a fixes an issue when pre-selecting a lot of edges. There were artificial limitations in the script which are now removed.

- there are known issues and bugs here and there. This concerns in particular Collisions, i.e. when the offset is too large.
- Terminal corners (that is ending on a single edge) may present issues and bugs

fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby fredo6 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:23 pm

Einstein wrote:Also there are mesh errors in some cases, when bevelling triangulated meshes.
+ screenshot with bug report in some other case of triangulated mesh.

Do you have the models with the multiple bricks (the one attached only contains 1 brick and is related to the problem of 2 segment beveling). Thanks.

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Einstein » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:11 pm

fredo6 wrote:Do you have the models with the multiple bricks (the one attached only contains 1 brick and is related to the problem of 2 segment beveling). Thanks.

Fredo

Now it works fine. It looks like your last fix fixed also the last issue :)

The only issue which is still there is the one with broken mesh.

Einstein 

Postby dell oglio » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:02 pm

Hi, thank for Your Work on sketchup, it is amazing.

The fredo corner give me an error when i try to use the chop corner on every corner...How I can Resolve? thanks

dell oglio 

Postby fredo6 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:42 pm

dell oglio wrote:The fredo corner give me an error when i try to use the chop corner on every corner...How I can Resolve? thanks

First, can you update your profile, at least concerning the SketchUp version you do use (SketchUp 2014 is shown currently, but FredoCorner only runs on SketchUp 2016 and above).

Second, you do not seem to use the latest version of FredoCorner. Can you download it and check if you still have the problem.
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby yanrothwell » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:39 pm

I've used the old Round Corner for years and now am using this plugin... Thanks so much for it and all your plugins Fredo

MY corners are inverted and I can't make them as 'normal' round corners. It's not the reversed faces, and clicking invert doesn't do anything... Any idea?

Merci in advance

Ian
yanrothwell 

Postby fredo6 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:50 pm

yanrothwell wrote:MY corners are inverted and I can't make them as 'normal' round corners. It's not the reversed faces, and clicking invert doesn't do anything... Any idea?

Could you show or post the model please.

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby amsalari » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:56 pm

WOW, Thanks For nice and very well work

amsalari 

Re: [Plugin] FredoCorner - v1.6b - 18 Apr 19

Postby fredo6 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:40 pm

NEW RELEASE: FredoCorner v1.6b - 18 Apr 19

Requirement: LibFredo6 8.8a

FredoCorner 1.6b fixes bugs and extend validity.

fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby noldo » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:55 pm

Hi Fredo, the plug-in fail with this geometry type.
Roundcorner work correctly.

noldo 

Postby fredo6 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:30 pm

noldo wrote:Hi Fredo, the plug-in fail with this geometry type.

It looks like there is a problem in the model.

One of the face is actually spreading over 3 blocks

Multi faces Corner.png

This creates an issue with FredoCorner, as you can imagine.

Noldo - Corner - Untitled.skp

I'll try to detect this type of configuration in a next version.

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby noldo » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:31 am

fredo6 wrote:
noldo wrote:Hi Fredo, the plug-in fail with this geometry type.

It looks like there is a problem in the model.

One of the face is actually spreading over 3 blocks

Multi faces Corner.png

This creates an issue with FredoCorner, as you can imagine.

Noldo - Corner - Untitled.skp

I'll try to detect this type of configuration in a next version.

Fredo

Thank's for your work Fredo!

noldo 

Postby cskovago » Thu May 02, 2019 1:57 pm

Hi,

I have just updated to the latest version, because the plugin refused to work as the 1.6 version. Now, it is NON-WORKING order, I can not even copy the bug report (because the cursor turns semi-transparent on the bug-report tab), I can select the faces, edges, I can set the parameters, the plugin calculates the edges, but when I let it done the task, nothing happens, just the bug-report tab is red...

Any idea or help, please?

Win7, SketchUp 2017 latest

cskovago 

Postby fredo6 » Thu May 02, 2019 2:23 pm

cskovago wrote:Hi,

I have just updated to the latest version, because the plugin refused to work as the 1.6 version. Now, it is NON-WORKING order, I can not even copy the bug report (because the cursor turns semi-transparent on the bug-report tab), I can select the faces, edges, I can set the parameters, the plugin calculates the edges, but when I let it done the task, nothing happens, just the bug-report tab is red...

Any idea or help, please?

Win7, SketchUp 2017 latest

In this kind of situation, it would be helpful to attach the model. Otherwise, this is difficult to find out.

If you have the red notification, then there is an error. So, open the Ruby console before launching FredoCorner and check if there are errors displayed. That would also help.
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby ronagoldberg » Fri May 03, 2019 11:14 pm

Thank you so much for this plugin and the previous version.
I was using it today and got this odd geometry, it only happened on this side, the other side of this box laid out correctly. I realize it would run into the hole in the geometry but I was surprised at what it was doing and that it wasn't doing the same thing on both sides.

Ron

ronagoldberg 

Postby fredo6 » Sat May 04, 2019 8:21 pm

ronagoldberg wrote:I was using it today and got this odd geometry, it only happened on this side, the other side of this box laid out correctly. I realize it would run into the hole in the geometry but I was surprised at what it was doing and that it wasn't doing the same thing on both sides.

Strange! Could you post the model so that I have a close look.

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Re: [Plugin] FredoCorner - v1.6c - 20 Jun 19

Postby fredo6 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:46 pm

NEW RELEASE: FredoCorner v1.6c - 20 Jun 19

Requirement: LibFredo6 8.8a

FredoCorner 1.6c extends validity.

fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Previous

Return to Plugins