[Plugin] Sketchup Ivy

Re: [Plugin] Sketchup Ivy 0.6 20110512

Postby EarthMover » Thu May 12, 2011 8:33 pm

Newest build working fine for me on Win 7 SU 8.

Here's a quick play. Swapped the dead looking default leaves for some Wisteria leaves and blooms. Amazing plugin! :sketchstatic:
3D Artist at Clearstory 3D Imaging
Guide Tool at Winning With Sketchup
Content Creator at Skapeup
EarthMover 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby solo » Thu May 12, 2011 8:35 pm

BRAVO!! :thumb:

Wisteria, brilliant, and thanks for sharing the mats.

When I get time I'll attempt a grape vine using fur plugin
http://www.solos-art.com

If you see a toilet in your dreams do not use it.
solo 
Global Moderator

Postby EarthMover » Thu May 12, 2011 9:01 pm

Here is a copy of the arbor with Wisteria. I have a nice climbing hydrangea in my garden that would make for a good test subject. I'd like to do a rose next though. I'm thinking Chris Fullmer's Components on to Faces plugin might be perfect to scatter 3D blooms across a set of leaves and then delete the leaves. I definitely need more hours in the day, strictly dedicated to "play" time.
EarthMover 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby EscapeArtist » Thu May 12, 2011 9:03 pm

Well done!
EscapeArtist 
Top SketchUcator

Postby robert111 » Thu May 12, 2011 11:13 pm

good work earthmover
but can you say how to increase the thickness ofr your ivy plz?

robert111 

Postby driven » Thu May 12, 2011 11:28 pm

hi
sorry if the 'i' caused havoc for IE users,
maybe someone can see if this breaks anything first,

the formating in the main.html is broken in safari, which makes it hard to change settings.

it's easily fixed by adding breaks between the list items, but I'm not sure what that does in IE...

safari-with_brks.png

also can show_modal for mac return, I use a snippet I nicked that I believe works for both

snippet REMOVED not working properly, will investigate???

great work

john
Last edited by driven on Fri May 13, 2011 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
learn from the mistakes of others, you may not live long enough to make them all yourself...

driven 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby solo » Thu May 12, 2011 11:30 pm

The "i" does not work for me, yes I'm an IE user.
http://www.solos-art.com

If you see a toilet in your dreams do not use it.
solo 
Global Moderator

Postby EarthMover » Thu May 12, 2011 11:50 pm

robert111 wrote:good work earthmover
but can you say how to increase the thickness ofr your ivy plz?

Not really sure. I left all the settings as default and what you see was my first quick attempt. I did scale the foliage up a little but the vine itself is on default settings using the 0.6.2 beta build with imperial units.
EarthMover 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby driven » Fri May 13, 2011 12:05 am

Solo,
oxer pointed out that it needs to be

key == 73 on PC's and key ==105 on Mac's

but it was changed to that for 6.0.2 so if your using 6.0.2 then maybe 73 is the spanish keycode for i.

I don't have a PC to check.

you can change line number 69 in Liveivy_tool.rb to whatever you know works, it was 82 for [r]...

Also it was previously on line number 73, so maybe there was a typo...

john
learn from the mistakes of others, you may not live long enough to make them all yourself...

driven 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby driven » Fri May 13, 2011 1:08 am

hi all,

I should have at least tweaked the current version... ahhh

the <h4> headers need to be tweaked as well to be bold and centered

Code: Select all
<span style="margin-left: 50%; font-weight:900" class="label">Branch</span>

NB: this may just be for safari...

driven 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby sadyo » Fri May 13, 2011 5:39 am

Nice Plugin,but just for the report...

When i trying v0.6.2,
All feature inside Parameters it seem appearing and worked properly.
Ctrl+click and Alt+click worked fine

But when i try shift+click, nothing happen, so i cannot see the leaf :cry:

I Hope this problem would be solved on the next release

Thanks in advance

-------------------------------------
I,m Using SU 8 M1 Pro and Win7 64bit
sadyo 

Postby rodrigonotor » Fri May 13, 2011 6:00 am

Hi, i want to say: great plugin!, I try it and this is the result:

Also, I translate to spanish, here are the file, only rename to main.html

Me he tomado la libertad de traducirlo al español, solo hay que renombrar el archivo a main.html

main_es.rar

12-05-2011 10-39-36 PM.png
Sketchando.netwww.arqcad.net
rodrigonotor 

Postby srx » Fri May 13, 2011 8:33 am

When I start SU it begins with this:
Error Loading File LiveIvy.rb
Can't insert empty component.

This is solved with replacing version 8 leaf components with version 7 in Textures folder...
but still not working:

Error: #<NoMethodError: undefined method `-' for nil:NilClass>
C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Google SketchUp 7/Plugins/LiveIvy/LiveIvy_tool.rb:241:in `birth_stem'
C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Google SketchUp 7/Plugins/LiveIvy/LiveIvy_tool.rb:234:in `each'
C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Google SketchUp 7/Plugins/LiveIvy/LiveIvy_tool.rb:234:in `birth_stem'
C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Google SketchUp 7/Plugins/LiveIvy/LiveIvy_tool.rb:223:in `birth'
C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Google SketchUp 7/Plugins/LiveIvy/LiveIvy_tool.rb:99:in `onLButtonDown'
C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Google SketchUp 7/Plugins/LiveIvy/LiveIvy_tool.rb:234
www.saurus.rs
srx 

Postby thomthom » Fri May 13, 2011 9:03 am

Pierreden wrote:(face.classify_point seems buggy)

What issues do you have with this method?
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Re: [Plugin] Sketchup Ivy 0.6.3 20110513

Postby Pierreden » Fri May 13, 2011 10:34 am

Thanks for all comments, kind words, crits and suggestions! Uploaded a new version 0.6.3 and tries to solve a number of issues and suggestions.

@Earthmover: BRILLIANT! I guess this goes for everyone, but if you got some nice looking leafs, flowers or Ivy'ish stuff, im more than willing to include it in the releases (or maybe organize it somehow, website?) :idea:

@driven: Added the breaks in the html. Hope this is better for all mac users. Added formatting to h4 headings :ugeek:

@driven/solo: I can confirm that i is 73 (thats on my scandinavian keyboard). Added 105 to the "reset ivy" key mapping on advice from you guys :thumb:

@sadyo: The tool code is rewritten (after shameless spying on thomthoms Selection_toys code. Hopefully i handle mouse events right this time :roll: )

@Rodrigonotor: awesome! Will include this soon.

@srx: Thank you! The components have now been switched with SU 7 components. Hopefulle this works!

@thomthom: I guess its expected behaviour, but if you try to classify a point on a face which is inside a group, the point is classified as not on the face. The result is this.The second problem is that some branches in the plugin sometimes manage to "break through" faces. Im not sure if this is a classify_point issue. or plugin algorithm which sometimes break, but cant solve the problem 100%.

Pierreden 

Postby thomthom » Fri May 13, 2011 10:42 am

Pierreden wrote:@thomthom: I guess its expected behaviour, but if you try to classify a point on a face which is inside a group, the point is classified as not on the face. The result is this.The second problem is that some branches in the plugin sometimes manage to "break through" faces. Im not sure if this is a classify_point issue. or plugin algorithm which sometimes break, but cant solve the problem 100%.

Have you taken into account the transformation of the group? If you pick a point on a face inside a group you get a point for the current context, and then you need to apply the transformation for the group(s) which the face is within.

Pierreden wrote:@sadyo: The tool code is rewritten (after shameless spying on thomthoms Selection_toys code. Hopefully i handle mouse events right this time :roll: )

For handling Shift, Ctrl etc?
I think you might want check a more recent plugin, like Select Curve: viewtopic.php?t=31091

I'm not sure if Selection Toys does it 100% correct. I can have a look in the code and compare against Vertex Tools (which I have tested on Windows and OSX).
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Pierreden » Fri May 13, 2011 11:30 am

thomthom wrote:Have you taken into account the transformation of the group? If you pick a point on a face inside a group you get a point for the current context, and then you need to apply the transformation for the group(s) which the face is within.

No I haven't. If i make a single face and grows an ivy on it, without grouping the face first, there's no problem at all. But if i group the face before growing an ivy on it, adhesion doesn't work, a consequence of classify_point not returning 1. Unless a transformation is applied to a group by the very act of grouping, transformations itself cant explain this behaviour.

Can it be that Sketchup interprets this situation as if the point not being on the face itself, but "on" the group? :?:

thomthom wrote:I'm not sure if Selection Toys does it 100% correct. I can have a look in the code and compare against Vertex Tools (which I have tested on Windows and OSX).

PM :thumb:

Pierreden 

Postby thomthom » Fri May 13, 2011 11:48 am

Pierreden wrote:No I haven't. If i make a single face and grows an ivy on it, without grouping the face first, there's no problem at all. But if i group the face before growing an ivy on it, adhesion doesn't work, a consequence of classify_point not returning 1. Unless a transformation is applied to a group by the very act of grouping, transformations itself cant explain this behaviour.

I couldn't find classify_point anywhere in the code... not in the current version?

How do you obtain the point you test against classify_point, an InputPoint?
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Pierreden » Fri May 13, 2011 11:55 am

thomthom wrote:
Pierreden wrote:No I haven't. If i make a single face and grows an ivy on it, without grouping the face first, there's no problem at all. But if i group the face before growing an ivy on it, adhesion doesn't work, a consequence of classify_point not returning 1. Unless a transformation is applied to a group by the very act of grouping, transformations itself cant explain this behaviour.

I couldn't find classify_point anywhere in the code... not in the current version?

How do you obtain the point you test against classify_point, an InputPoint?

Look in livevector_core.rb. line 187.

classify_point is used to find the closest face to a new node on a branch, so the points tested against classify_point is the last point on each branch.

Pierreden 

Postby thomthom » Fri May 13, 2011 12:01 pm

When you test your point against a face nested inside groups/faces you must trasnform that point to the co-ordinates of the face's containing face.

So if you have a face nested inside a Group1 > ComponentInstance1 > Face, then you must add up the transformation of Group1 and ComponentInstance1 and apply that to the point to send to face.classify point.
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Pierreden » Fri May 13, 2011 12:08 pm

thomthom wrote:When you test your point against a face nested inside groups/faces you must trasnform that point to the co-ordinates of the face's containing face.

So if you have a face nested inside a Group1 > ComponentInstance1 > Face, then you must add up the transformation of Group1 and ComponentInstance1 and apply that to the point to send to face.classify point.

Thank you, get it! But i dont understand what transformations are applied to a new group (aka what happens when you group entities)?

Pierreden 

Postby thomthom » Fri May 13, 2011 12:25 pm

When you group, or make a component, out of existing entities they get their own local co-ordinates within the new group/component. (Within the ComponentDefinition)
The group/component is inserted at the bottom front left corner of the boundingbox of the selected entities. To the grouped entities, this point becomes [0,0,0].
(Though, when you add a group via Ruby API I think the group's origin is set to the current context's origin.)
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby EarthMover » Fri May 13, 2011 1:59 pm

Here is an English Ivy leaf that works well.
EarthMover 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby leedeetee » Fri May 13, 2011 3:44 pm

This is probably a ridiculously stupied question but how do I get the ivy leafs to actually show up?! What am I doing wrong?!
leedeetee 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby EarthMover » Fri May 13, 2011 3:53 pm

CTRL click to bring up the red "+" symbols to indicate where the leaves will go and then SHIFT click to apply and create the leaves.

Instructions are in the last section of the User Interface.
EarthMover 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby nomeradona » Fri May 13, 2011 4:24 pm

i dont knoe why i have this

nomeradona 

Postby srx » Fri May 13, 2011 5:11 pm

nomeradona
go to textures folder and convert skp files to version 7. That worked for me...
www.saurus.rs
srx 

Postby robert111 » Fri May 13, 2011 7:39 pm

i need help with ivy
why my ivy ( picture 01) is not same as this good ivy ( picture 02)

robert111 

Postby nomeradona » Sat May 14, 2011 1:37 am

thanks srx. good point. iam actually using su7

nomeradona 

Postby rombout » Sat May 14, 2011 2:25 am

srx wrote:When I start SU it begins with this:

This is solved with replacing version 8 leaf components with version 7 in Textures folder...
but still not working:

Error: #<NoMethodError: undefined method `-' for nil:NilClass>
C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Google SketchUp 7/Plugins/LiveIvy/LiveIvy_tool.rb:241:in `birth_stem'
C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Google SketchUp 7/Plugins/LiveIvy/LiveIvy_tool.rb:234:in `each'
C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Google SketchUp 7/Plugins/LiveIvy/LiveIvy_tool.rb:234:in `birth_stem'
C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Google SketchUp 7/Plugins/LiveIvy/LiveIvy_tool.rb:223:in `birth'
C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Google SketchUp 7/Plugins/LiveIvy/LiveIvy_tool.rb:99:in `onLButtonDown'
C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Google SketchUp 7/Plugins/LiveIvy/LiveIvy_tool.rb:234

me to only version 5.04 worked a bit untill the shift click part
i got this in SU 6
Code: Select all
Error: #<ArgumentError: wrong number of arguments (2 for 1)>
/Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp 6/SketchUp/Plugins/LiveIvy/LiveIvy_tool.rb:233:in `start_operation'
/Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp 6/SketchUp/Plugins/LiveIvy/LiveIvy_tool.rb:233:in `birth_stem'
/Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp 6/SketchUp/Plugins/LiveIvy/LiveIvy_tool.rb:223:in `birth'
/Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp 6/SketchUp/Plugins/LiveIvy/LiveIvy_tool.rb:98:in `onLButtonDown'
/Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp 6/SketchUp/Plugins/LiveIvy/LiveIvy_tool.rb:233
rombout 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

PreviousNext

Return to Plugins