[Plugin] OBJexporter v3.0 20130131

Re: [Plugin] OBJexporter v2.6 20120222

Postby pilou » Wed May 23, 2012 2:20 am

@Tig
Not really a problem but curious
When I want export something on the desktop, or anywhere folders / Subfolders, nothing is done! :shock:
No problem when I export in the SU Plugins folder or in a subfolder inside the SU Plugins folder! :fro:
Frenchy Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
Speedy Galerie
pilou 
Top SketchUcator

Postby TIG » Wed May 23, 2012 9:59 am

Pilou wrote:@Tig
Not really a problem but curious
When I want export something on the desktop, or anywhere folders / Subfolders, nothing is done! :shock:
No problem when I export in the SU Plugins folder or in a subfolder inside the SU Plugins folder! :fro:
Sounds like an issue with your System rather than the tool itself.
It exports fine into any folder, although it should default to the SKP's folder first off...
What are your security permissions/rights set to be ? 'Full' is best...
Also the other folders should allow files to be written to them 'by others' as it might be considering SUp/Ruby as 'not you' ???
:?
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby StilTeg » Wed May 23, 2012 10:04 am

Hello Tig ... Great tool thanks, I only have one problem, some files do not work, especially one quite complicated design file. Problem is sketchup crashes during the export and I get an incomplete file ...

Alain wrote:Older versions with Sketchup 7 worked perfect.
But since I use the latest version of the OBJ exporter with Sketchup 8, then Sketchup always freezes while the exportprocess.
Tested it on Window XP 32 Bit and Win 7 64 Bit.

Then when I kill the Sketchupprocess in the Windows Taskmanager then a (sometimes) usable but incomplete new created OBJ-File is created anyway.

Does anybody know what could be wrong ?

Kind regards
Alain
doing technical engineering on SketchUp ... without plugins
StilTeg 

Postby TIG » Wed May 23, 2012 10:15 am

When you say 'crash' do you mean a 'bugsplat'?
If so this is unexpected!
If you mean that the screen goes white and Sketchup becomes 'unresponsive' then it is probably still processing [use the Task Manager to see that Sketchup is still chugging away].
Under intensive processing it's a known issue that Sketchup becomes 'unresponsive' - left for long enough it should finish the task.
OBJ format is usually limited to specific objects or rooms, or buildings.
What are you trying to export? PM me the [zipped] SKP file if you can ?
To help the exporter please remember that only visible 'faces' [or images] are exported, so you can switch off layers containing unneeded objects like text/dims, also hide any other objects you are not interested in...
Many thousands of facets can be exported, the more nested objects the longer the export, the files get very very large...
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby mattgame96 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:59 pm

I am new to Google Sketchup 8.

What do I do after I download so that it could work on Google Sketchup 8?

If you can help me, thanks : )

-MG

P.S.- Thanks for setting the download :thumb:

mattgame96 

Postby TIG » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:53 am

mattgame96 wrote:I am new to Google Sketchup 8.

What do I do after I download so that it could work on Google Sketchup 8?

If you can help me, thanks : )

-MG

P.S.- Thanks for setting the download :thumb:
You really need to read the Help files, there are also several useful threads on this forum about downloading and installing scripts...
In this case it's very simple - as it says under the download link - place the .rb file that you've downloaded into the Sketchup v8 'Plugins' folder, restart Sketchup... and as explained on the download page the tool now appears in the Sketchup > File menu...
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby pugz1983 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:01 pm

Hi TIG,

I've been reading this thread after beeingdirected here. I asked a question about export formats in the sketchup discussion part of the forum.

My question is if there is any way to export from SU with Ngons. When rendering in C4D my mesh gives strange results in the geometry around the area where I used Round corners plugin. I think it's because of the triangulation. Any suggestions?

greetz Twan
pugz1983 

Postby TIG » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:05 pm

Your profile says you have 'Pro', so its built in OBJexporter has several Options [button on export save_as dialog] which are not available with mine... like you can switch off triangulation and keep ngons ???
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby michaliszissiou » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:47 pm

When rendering in C4D my mesh gives strange results in the geometry around the area where I used Round corners plugin. I think it's because of the triangulation. Any suggestions?

I'm a poor blender user. However, in C4d, try to weld vertices. SU does insist to export non welded vertices. If C4d has some option like tris to quads or similar, give it a try. In C4d, select all the mesh and ask for something like recalculate normals, or normals outside or similar.
I know nothing about C4d but I'm sure, these functions exist, maybe under a different name.
michaliszissiou 

Postby Jakerlund » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:32 am

Tig, thanks for a great tool to enable us to use the free SketchUp to export models to obj's to be used in Blender.

Is there a way to get the models to have all faces connected?
As of now i can't apply a subsurf modifier since all faces are disconnected.
I can load the obj in Mesh Lab and connect the faces, but is this the only way

Thanks again for your addon!

Cheers

Jakerlund 

Postby TIG » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:05 am

Faces that form part of a smoothed Surface are exported somewhat differently from un-smoothed ones - with different #vertex normal# definitions for applied textures etc to appear smoothed etc ?
As far as I know the Pro tool does nothing more that that either.
What do you mean exactly by 'connected' faces ?
Can't this be done effectively in the receiving apps ?
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby Jakerlund » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:45 pm

Yes, seemed like removing all doubles solved the problem in Blender.
Now i can apply subsurf and smooth objects. :thumb:

Jakerlund 

Postby Lol Limewire » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:45 pm

Hey Tig,
When I put this in the 'Plugins' folder, it doesn't appear.
I have tried everything you said in other posts that have the same problem, but it didn't work.
I have Sketchup 8 and Windows 7.
Please help!

Lol Limewire 

Postby Rich O Brien » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:03 pm

Usage: menu File > 'OBJexporter...'

Are you saying it does not appear in the file menu?
There's a frontroom and a backroom....reverse faces
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby Lol Limewire » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:10 pm

Rich O Brien wrote:
Usage: menu File > 'OBJexporter...'

Are you saying it does not appear in the file menu?

Mine doesn't appear in the file menu.

Lol Limewire 

Postby Rich O Brien » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:28 pm

Have you administration rights on your plugins folder?

Can you post a screenshot of your plugins folder?
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby Lol Limewire » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:46 pm

Rich O Brien wrote:Have you administration rights on your plugins folder?

Can you post a screenshot of your plugins folder?

Pic1.png

And yes, I do have admin rights.

Lol Limewire 

Postby Dave R » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:53 pm

What Plugins folder is that? It isn't the one that belongs to SketchUp. You have to put the .rb file into the Plugins folder under SketchUp and not just the first folder you come across labeled Plugins.
%

(THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

M30

%
Dave R 
Global Moderator

Postby Rich O Brien » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:55 pm

Code: Select all
C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google SketchUp 8\Plugins

Your plugins path should be as above
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby Lol Limewire » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:00 am

Rich O Brien wrote:
Code: Select all
C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google SketchUp 8\Plugins

Your plugins path should be as above

Thank you guys! My friend was at my house and he told me the folder in my pic was the right one :/ (I had 2 plugin folders in that location and one was hidden)

Lol Limewire 

Postby Dave R » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:05 am

You shouldn't have two Plugins folders under Google SketchUp 8.
%

(THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

M30

%
Dave R 
Global Moderator

Postby pilou » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:00 am

There is no option inside the plugin for "weld" the commun edges between faces ?

And if exist in another plugin, the fact to export with the present plugin will not "unweld" them ?
Frenchy Pilou
Speedy Galerie
pilou 
Top SketchUcator

Postby pilou » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:09 pm

Does the OBJ export function from the SU Pro Version weld the edges for make volumes who can be subdivided in another 3D prog ?
Frenchy Pilou
Speedy Galerie
pilou 
Top SketchUcator

Postby chewbacca » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:15 pm

After moving the .rb file into my plugins folder, I am still unable to export to OBJ. Is the newest version of Sketchup not compatible with this plugin?

chewbacca 

Postby TIG » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:59 pm

It is fully compatible.
YOU must be doing something wrong.
After installing the file correctly in the Plugins folder and restarting Sketchup, the Exporter appears in the File menu... is this what's throwing you ?
Alternatively... if you don't have FULL security permissions to the Plugins folder, then you might have not installed it as you assume... is there a 'Compatibility Files' [or similar named] button-link in the Explorer Windows top bars ? If so click it...

Your report is not helpful - you assume we can deduce what is up from your bald statement that you are unable to export OBJ... Please consider the above and [re]read the tool's instructions.
Come back if you are still getting error messages etc...
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby spattija » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:15 pm

Thank you very much for your plugin!

Unfortunately, I tested it with some models downloaded form the 3D warehouse, and the resulting OBJ has some texture missing (materials have no map_Kd), although they show fine in sketchup.
Any idea? I attached a small polygon cut from the original model if you want to test

model.skp

I'd appreciate some insights on it :)
Thank You!

spattija 

Postby TIG » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:45 pm

The model has been made sloppily - that's all.
If you use a Style with contrasting front/back default colors - say off-white/bright-blue, then view it in Monochrome mode you'll see some bright-blue faces - these are the ones that were not reversed properly and so they now have the material applied onto their backs, not the fron with is looking the wrong way.
An OBJ [and many other file formats] export will only include the faces' front material - in the case of the sample you provided that's the default off-white 'underneath' NOT the top which has a texture applied to the face's back, because it's made 'upside-down' :roll:

Find my Fix Reverse Face Material tool in the Plugins Index - that finds faces with materials on their backs and not fronts, reverses the face and remaps the back material onto the front face [that's by now facing the right way !]
After using the tool the model will appear no different, because the materials/textures will look the same - BUT re-view the model in Monochrome and you should see all faces in the default off-white, and it should then export properly with textured faces correctly oriented... :roll:
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby spattija » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:59 pm

Thank you very much for your quick reply,
but I still have problems with it: the fix reversed plugin says that zero faces have been fixed. re-exporting it produces the same, non textured model.
Any idea?

spattija 

Postby TIG » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:20 pm

OK - I see the issue.
The face you supplied IS modeled upside-down [I assume you can see this in Monochrome mode] and it has the required textured-material on its back NOT its front, BUT I see that the front material has been set to an 'off-white' material called "<auto>", that simply matches the default-material :?

If you select this material in the model-pane of the Materials Browser and delete it then the mis-oriented face [and any others using it] get the default-material applied instead and THEN you can use the FixReversedFaceMaterials tool to flip/swap things as I described... I just tried it and it works.

I'm not sure where this "<auto>" materials is used in the model otherwise, but I suspect that it's been used as the 'default-material' when someone was importing things from another app etc... If you do delete it then all faces that were using it become the 'default' material, which is an 'off-white' plain-color, so the overall appearance isn't going to change significantly anyway :roll:
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby spattija » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:44 pm

Simply... great!!!

Thank you so much TIG. I am a computer graphics researcher and I am going to use models from the warehouse as testing purposes for my current research topic. As you could have argued, I am not familiar with sketchup and its scripting, I am just using it for file format conversion. The warehouse is, above all, a great testbench, but models with wrong appearance make my tests useless.

So, once again, thank you!

spattija 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

PreviousNext

Return to Plugins