[Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby cmeed » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:53 pm

this has probably been asked before - can I move the gizmo and have it snap to a point? in 10 years of questions I think this has been asked.... 'negative' will be the answer.

maybe i need to ask why cant it?

cheers
c
0
User avatar
cmeed 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby Dave R » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:25 pm

cmeed wrote:'negative' will be the answer.


Not so.

Right click on the gizmo, choose the option and hold Shift while clicking to place it.

vt.gif

Click on the picture
0
Etaoin Shrdlu


%

(THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

M30

%
User avatar
Dave R 
Global Moderator
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby thomthom » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:08 pm

cmeed wrote:this has probably been asked before - can I move the gizmo and have it snap to a point? in 10 years of questions I think this has been asked.... 'negative' will be the answer.

maybe i need to ask why cant it?


Because it's not been entirely clear what to snap to. The user grabs hold of the gizmo which is offset from the gizmo origin, so is snapping supposed to snap the origin to the point snapped? Or the point grabbed?

There's been some conversations about this - this thread for instance: http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtop ... 39#p606094

Snapping is described to relate relative to the gizmo origin, and with improved control of setting the origin.

If you have your own idea of how snapping should work with the Gizmo I'm happy to hear it. I'm not sure everyone has the same expectations on how this would work.


Because of that the separate Move/Rotate/Scale tools has been the main means of precision adjustments. While the gizmo is more eyeballing it.

I'd be curious to hear why you prefer the Gizmo to snap as oppose to using the separate Move/Rotate/Scale tools. (Maybe there's some improvements with them that you achieve the same thing?)
0
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
User avatar
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby thomthom » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:10 pm

cmeed wrote:this has probably been asked before - can I move the gizmo and have it snap to a point?

Oh wait, did I read that correctly?

Did you talk about snapping while positioning the Gizmo? Or snapping while using the Gizmo Move?
0
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
User avatar
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby nlipovac » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:11 pm

Is it possible to add option, i.e. hold CTRL, when using vertex slide to copy moved vertices and this way I can add loops without exiting Vertex tools?
And one more wild one, plus if I hold Shift I get that copy to be parallel to ones I have made copy off.
0

nlipovac 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby thomthom » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:16 pm

nlipovac wrote:Is it possible to add option, i.e. hold CTRL, when using vertex slide to copy moved vertices and this way I can add loops without exiting Vertex tools?

It's already on the list for consideration.

nlipovac wrote:And one more wild one, plus if I hold Shift I get that copy to be parallel to ones I have made copy off.

Would this be different than switching Vertex Slide to Slide by Offset instead of Slide by Percent?
https://evilsoftwareempire.com/vertex-t ... rtex_slide
0
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
User avatar
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby nlipovac » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:05 pm

thomthom wrote:
nlipovac wrote:Is it possible to add option, i.e. hold CTRL, when using vertex slide to copy moved vertices and this way I can add loops without exiting Vertex tools?

It's already on the list for consideration.


Great for this one, would be very handy.

nlipovac wrote:And one more wild one, plus if I hold Shift I get that copy to be parallel to ones I have made copy off.

thomthom wrote:Would this be different than switching Vertex Slide to Slide by Offset instead of Slide by Percent?
https://evilsoftwareempire.com/vertex-t ... rtex_slide


As for this one, I mean that when I select one cut loop and use Vertex slide to make a copy it would maintain parallel to one I made copy off and not conform to loop or edge I am pushing it to.
Hope it makes sense.
Also of the topic, I never learned to make those short gifs, what do you use for that?
0

nlipovac 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby thomthom » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:05 am

nlipovac wrote:As for this one, I mean that when I select one cut loop and use Vertex slide to make a copy it would maintain parallel to one I made copy off and not conform to loop or edge I am pushing it to.
Hope it makes sense.

I don't fully manage to visualize what you are asking for. Could you illustrate it by mocking up the desired result compared to existing Offset modes?

nlipovac wrote:Also of the topic, I never learned to make those short gifs, what do you use for that?

I use ScreenPresso, though it's not free. Though there is a number of free ones out there. This one looks interesting: https://www.screentogif.com/
0
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
User avatar
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby nlipovac » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:53 pm

thomthom wrote:
nlipovac wrote:As for this one, I mean that when I select one cut loop and use Vertex slide to make a copy it would maintain parallel to one I made copy off and not conform to loop or edge I am pushing it to.
Hope it makes sense.

I don't fully manage to visualize what you are asking for. Could you illustrate it by mocking up the desired result compared to existing Offset modes?

nlipovac wrote:Also of the topic, I never learned to make those short gifs, what do you use for that?

I use ScreenPresso, though it's not free. Though there is a number of free ones out there. This one looks interesting: https://www.screentogif.com/


Sure, here is two examples, one when I copy and move vertex from center loop and one when I copy and move from edge loop. If not mistaken, at moment we get only proprtional movement.
0

nlipovac 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby thomthom » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:29 pm

nlipovac wrote:If not mistaken, at moment we get only proprtional movement.

If you switch you Slide By Offset I think you will get what you are looking for. (Except that it moves and doesn't copy the loop.)

2020-08-19_21h27_42.gif
1
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
User avatar
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby nlipovac » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:06 pm

thomthom wrote:
nlipovac wrote:If not mistaken, at moment we get only proprtional movement.

If you switch you Slide By Offset I think you will get what you are looking for. (Except that it moves and doesn't copy the loop.)

2020-08-19_21h27_42.gif


This would be my mistake then, thank you for clarification. :thumb:
Just add my self shortcuts for those two.
I am still upvoting on adding an option to copy and move selected vertex.
Loving new tools! :thumb:
1

nlipovac 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby pilou » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:58 am

Click this link for see the video! :ugeek:

1
Frenchy Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
Speedy Galerie
User avatar
pilou 
Top SketchUcator
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby Einstein » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:33 am

Hi! May I have a couple suggestions for VT2 development?

- more SketchUp-native-like manner of manipulating gizmo's handles. What I mean is that you have to click+drag gizmo's arrow to move a vertex and only then type a precise value. I wish I could click, let mouse go, type value and hit ENTER. This would be more "sketchuppish" behaviour. Maybe there could be a button to choose behaviour.
Also, current behaviour leads to unwanted situations like: when you precisely adjust radius of your soft selection, then drag a gizmo's handle/arrow to move verts, the selection gets updated before you type desired value of move. I wish I could lock/freeze soft selection so it wouldn't update after a transformation is performed - only when I decide to manually change my selection. This could be an adjustable behaviour too and it would help a lot with precise modelling.
- bevel vertices with more segments (like Fredo Corner but Fredo Corner doesn't work with flat faces)
- BUGFIX - when you bevel vertices of a flat face, sometimes the face gets removed (but I'm unable to reproduce the bug now)
- also make possible to bevel verts without manually dragging them, just by typing value and hitting ENTER
- move vertices with snapping (to other vertices, edges, edge midpoints, guides)
- soft selection profile edit and profile presets, like in Blender: dome, pinch, random etc. I know they are on the to-do list, just can't wait for them! :D
0

Einstein 
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby Rafhinha » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:22 pm

Hello, how are you..

I bought Vertex 1 and right after that Vertex 2 was launched. When I install Vertex 2 and put my key the following message appears

"There was an unexpected server error while trying to active the license. Please try again in a few moments. If the problem persists, please contact support."

I've tried it several times, already install Vertex 1.

At some point Vertex 2 was released I downloaded, installed and it worked, but it appeared that it was trial trial version

My sketchUp 2020
windows 10
0

Rafhinha 
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby Einstein » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:53 pm

If you only bought Vertex Tools 1 licence, it doesn't work with Vertex Tools 2. 2nd version is way more elaborate tool and I guess that's why the Author charges more for VT2.
0

Einstein 
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby Einstein » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:41 pm

What was added in v2.0.3?
0

Einstein 
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby tuna1957 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:09 pm

Einstein wrote:What was added in v2.0.3?


Go back to page 20 of this thread. There’s a short video posted that goes over the cool new stuff. A lot has been added :thumb:

Just a thought for the admins... maybe this thread could be split ? One for all the existing and new Vertex1 questions and a new thread for Vertex2 starting with Thomas’s Vertex2 announcement ?
0

tuna1957 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby Einstein » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:10 am

tuna1957 wrote:Go back to page 20 of this thread. There’s a short video posted that goes over the cool new stuff. A lot has been added :thumb:

Just a thought for the admins... maybe this thread could be split ? One for all the existing and new Vertex1 questions and a new thread for Vertex2 starting with Thomas’s Vertex2 announcement ?




tuna1957, I am asking exactly about the latest version 2.0.3, not 2.0.0. The changelog is not very accurate.
1

Einstein 
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby MEgiveup » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:58 am

I'm not sure where to ask this but here goes. I've installed Vertex Tools and have a beginners question. I can't seem to get the soft selection to work. I make a selection and type in a distance and nothing changes and the soft-selected count says zero. I've tried typing in small increments and large increments but nothing changes. What am I missing?
0

MEgiveup 
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby Einstein » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:57 pm

Hi,
I was thinking of how to achieve controlled one-axis scale with vertex tools 2.
As far as I know, we currently have two methods of scaling, each having its limitations:
- the "gizmo scale" where we can scale vertices in one axis (non-uniform scale) but cannot choose to scale origin - it is arbitrary set to center of selection,
- the scale tool available from toolbar icon, where we can scale with more precision: pick scaling origin, then source and target position. Very handy, but only lets us do uniform scale.
It would be very cool to combine advantages of both methods and have a precise, non-uniform scaling tool with soft selection.

PS Still looking forward to custom falloff and more falloff preset (à la Blender proportional editing) :D

PS 2 From time to time I get a message that my VT2 licence is invalid, then I have to type my key again. It is not a big issue as it happened a few times this year (firstly with VT, now with VT 2), but I thought I would mention it.
0

Einstein 
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby thomthom » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:31 pm

Einstein wrote:Hi! May I have a couple suggestions for VT2 development?
I love to hear suggestions! (Sorry for the late reply - the last bit of 2020 was a rough one for me. Had no capacity to stay up to date with the forums.)

Einstein wrote: - more SketchUp-native-like manner of manipulating gizmo's handles. What I mean is that you have to click+drag gizmo's arrow to move a vertex and only then type a precise value. I wish I could click, let mouse go, type value and hit ENTER. This would be more "sketchuppish" behaviour. Maybe there could be a button to choose behaviour.

You can do these accurate Move/Scale/Rotate actions with the dedicated tools.
I hadn't thought of allowing a click-release behaviour of the gizmo. But I'll add that to the list of things to look into.

Einstein wrote:Also, current behaviour leads to unwanted situations like: when you precisely adjust radius of your soft selection, then drag a gizmo's handle/arrow to move verts, the selection gets updated before you type desired value of move. I wish I could lock/freeze soft selection so it wouldn't update after a transformation is performed - only when I decide to manually change my selection. This could be an adjustable behaviour too and it would help a lot with precise modelling.

Noted.

Einstein wrote: - bevel vertices with more segments (like Fredo Corner but Fredo Corner doesn't work with flat faces)

Can you elaborate on what doesn't work? Example screenshots?

Einstein wrote: - BUGFIX - when you bevel vertices of a flat face, sometimes the face gets removed (but I'm unable to reproduce the bug now)

If you can reliably repro I'd love to look into it.

Einstein wrote: - also make possible to bevel verts without manually dragging them, just by typing value and hitting ENTER

So; select vertices, activate Bevel tool and immediately type into the VCB?

Einstein wrote: - move vertices with snapping (to other vertices, edges, edge midpoints, guides)

You mean with the Gizmo? Because the Move tool does this. With the gizmo it's not straight forward to how snapping would work as you pick a point in the gizmo and not the mesh.

Einstein wrote: - soft selection profile edit and profile presets, like in Blender: dome, pinch, random etc. I know they are on the to-do list, just can't wait for them! :D

It will come :)
0
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
User avatar
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby thomthom » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:33 pm

Einstein wrote:tuna1957, I am asking exactly about the latest version 2.0.3, not 2.0.0. The changelog is not very accurate.


Support for Ruby 2.7 that shipped with SU2021.0.
0
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
User avatar
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby thomthom » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:34 pm

MEgiveup wrote:I'm not sure where to ask this but here goes. I've installed Vertex Tools and have a beginners question. I can't seem to get the soft selection to work. I make a selection and type in a distance and nothing changes and the soft-selected count says zero. I've tried typing in small increments and large increments but nothing changes. What am I missing?

Does it happen with any model?

Can you share an example model?
0
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
User avatar
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby thomthom » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:38 pm

Einstein wrote:Hi,
I was thinking of how to achieve controlled one-axis scale with vertex tools 2.
As far as I know, we currently have two methods of scaling, each having its limitations:
- the "gizmo scale" where we can scale vertices in one axis (non-uniform scale) but cannot choose to scale origin - it is arbitrary set to center of selection,
- the scale tool available from toolbar icon, where we can scale with more precision: pick scaling origin, then source and target position. Very handy, but only lets us do uniform scale.
It would be very cool to combine advantages of both methods and have a precise, non-uniform scaling tool with soft selection.

With the gizmo you can move the gizmo to a custom location before you scale.

Adding a feature request for non-uniform scale with the Scale Tool.


Einstein wrote:PS 2 From time to time I get a message that my VT2 licence is invalid, then I have to type my key again. It is not a big issue as it happened a few times this year (firstly with VT, now with VT 2), but I thought I would mention it.


That's strange indeed. I've not heard of that. Almost sounds like something is resetting files on your machine. Do you have software that cleans up your machine?
0
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
User avatar
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby Builder54 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:38 pm

This is my first post on the site even though I've been using Sketchup for a few years. I use Vertex Tools quite a lot but I'm having problems with it. Apart from the occasional bug splat, I've posted here a gif of how VT2 freezes, and selection shuts down. In the gif you'll see my mouse is unable to select/highlight anything. Once I get out of the tools environment, I can highlight an area in blue then reactivate the tool. But still nothing changes until I move the gizmo. That for some reason allows me to begin selecting other vertices again. Any thoughts on what I can do to fix this? Or is it a known bug?

thanks
0

Builder54 
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby thomthom » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:17 pm

Builder54 wrote:Apart from the occasional bug splat

BugSplats while using Vertex Tools?
(Did you submit any of the BugSplats? And if you did, did you enter a name/email description?)

Builder54 wrote:I've posted here a gif of how VT2 freezes, and selection shuts down. In the gif you'll see my mouse is unable to select/highlight anything. Once I get out of the tools environment, I can highlight an area in blue then reactivate the tool. But still nothing changes until I move the gizmo. That for some reason allows me to begin selecting other vertices again. Any thoughts on what I can do to fix this? Or is it a known bug?

What version of SketchUp are you using? And can you check what version of Vertex Tools 2 you have installed? (You find this in the extension manager.)
0
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
User avatar
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby Builder54 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:05 pm

thomthom wrote:

BugSplats while using Vertex Tools?
(Did you submit any of the BugSplats? And if you did, did you enter a name/email description?)[/quote]

I do encounter Bug Splats frequently. I sent off a few of them, and recently with my name and email address. It appears to me that they happen most often when I hold down the CTRL key to create new vertices. The next time it happens I'll record the movement that's causing the bug splat before I get out of it.

thomthom wrote:

What version of SketchUp are you using? And can you check what version of Vertex Tools 2 you have installed? (You find this in the extension manager.)[/quote]

My Profile is up to date. I'm using Sketchup 2017 Pro.

VT2 Version.png


Thanks for your response
0

Builder54 
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby Builder54 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:15 pm

Bug Splat

VT2b.gif
0
"Don't be afraid of working hard. There are No shortcuts to mastering something."

Robh Ruppel

Builder54 
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby thomthom » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:58 pm

Builder54 wrote:Bug Splat

Oh - you mean that dialog? That is not a BugSplat. BugSplat is a dialog from SketchUp when it crashes. It says BugSplat in the dialog.

That error dialog is from Vertex Tools itself - catching bugs in Vertex Tools. I know they might feel much the same, but the distinction is important. You only see BugSplats when SketchUp crashes (exits).

Can you reliably reproduce the error? If so, can you send me the model and step by step instructions?
0
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
User avatar
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby thomthom » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:07 pm

Builder54 wrote:I do encounter Bug Splats frequently. I sent off a few of them, and recently with my name and email address. It appears to me that they happen most often when I hold down the CTRL key to create new vertices. The next time it happens I'll record the movement that's causing the bug splat before I get out of it.

I'm not finding any error reports for VT2 coming from SketchUp 17 users the last month that has any name or email attached.

Did you in this case really mean the SketchUp BugSplat dialog? Not the Vertex Tools error dialog?
0
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
User avatar
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago



Ad Machine 
Robot
 

PreviousNext


 

Return to Plugins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aminoo, Onna1, tambuag and 10 guests

Visit our sponsors: