[Plugin] ExtrudeTools - Full Set

Re: [Plugin] ExtrudeTools - Zipped Set 20101102

Postby TIG » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:09 pm

Get the latest zip from the first post in this thread...
Extract everything into a temporary folder - keeping all sub-folders and contents intact.
Move ALL of the the files/sub-folder(with their files) into the v8 ../Plugins/ folder.
Overwriting when prompted to do so.
Check everything that is now in the ../Plugins/TIGtools/ folder... AND if there's a file with the exact same name in the main ../Plugins/ folder remove it from the ../Plugins/ folder - it should be in the sub-folder!

Now everything should work fine.

Run the tools with the Ruby Console open to see if there are error messages.
If you still get errors - if you have SketchyPhysics installed in v8 temporarily remove its .rb files to disable it and see what happens.

If it's still not working post the error messages here... :roll:
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby Vicspa » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:19 pm

Hi Tig,
All your extrude tools seem not to be working for me in version 8.
I think I'm doing everything right, but it gets to a point where nothing more happens. ( see enclosed jpeg )

WHAT am I doing wrong??????? :(

Vicspa 

Postby Rip Tanion » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:37 am

vicspa wrote:WHAT am I doing wrong??????? :(

I'm still using SU7, but I still think I may be able to help you. I'm assuming you are using Edges by Rails? If so, here's what I think you doing wrong. Looks to me as if you are choosing the wrong profiles and rails. (Blue=profile, purple=rail) You've chosen the bottom circle as the profile, while the open curve and the top circle you've chosen for the rails. I tried to duplicate this in SU7, choosing the bottom circle for the melding profile as well, and SU7 crashed. Even if it didn't crash, I suspect it would have yielded a bizarre shape, not what I suspect you are looking for.

Try this:
Choose the open curve as the profile, and the top and bottom circles as the rails, and the open curve again for the melding profile like so
eebr1.png

That should give you something like this.
eebr2.png

Now, if you want a symmetrical shape, simply select only the open curve—not the circles, just the open curve—and then choose EE by Lathe. Set both axis point on the same vertical axis that runs through the center of the circles, and set the rotation angle to 360. That will give you something like this:
eebr7.png

Hope this helped you.

Rip Tanion 

Postby caarloos82 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:26 pm

thank you for your work, such an amazing plugin!

cheers!

caarloos82 

Postby Charlie__V » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:24 pm

Bravo Tig...........Bravo!!!

Thanks lots,
Charlie
Precision M1710/Win 7 Pro 64 bit/i-7 6920 Quad core 2.9 Ghz -3.8/16Gb ram/NVIDIA M5000M 8Gb

Charlie__V 

Postby Bob James » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:40 am

This is just such an incredible set of plugins that I had to jump into this thread to say Thank You again. :ecstatic:
i7-4930K 3.4Ghz, 2x GTX780 6GB, 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC, OCZ Vertex 4 500GB, WD Black 3TB, 32TB NAS, 4x 27" Monitors, SpaceMouse Pro, X-keys XK-60
Bob James 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby junoswayam » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:51 am

excellent stuff... Thank you very much

junoswayam 

Postby eebee » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:42 am

Fantastic! Just what I needed! Works great!! :ecstatic:
-ed
eebee 

Postby Box » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:49 pm

Just a thought Tig for another useful extrude.
Extrude Edges by Rotation.

I can see many uses for it. Most of them are possible another way but it would be nice to simply select an edge or face and extrude it around a point, much like extrude by vector. Handy for doing curved corners in pipes or adding a radius surface to a box etc.

Just an idea as I find I use your extrusion tools all the time and this is the only one I seem to miss.
Box 

Postby TIG » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:51 pm

Box wrote:Just a thought Tig for another useful extrude.
Extrude Edges by Rotation.

I can see many uses for it. Most of them are possible another way but it would be nice to simply select an edge or face and extrude it around a point, much like extrude by vector. Handy for doing curved corners in pipes or adding a radius surface to a box etc.

Just an idea as I find I use your extrusion tools all the time and this is the only one I seem to miss.

Can't you already do this with my EEbyLathe :? :? :?
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby Box » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:01 am

Indeed you can, I just didn't know how, now I do. Thanks again.
Box 

Postby cupko » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:35 pm

Hi TIG,
Thanks for plugins :thumb: .

I have problem with Extrude Edges By Edges plugin. I draw two bezier curves and when I want to use EEbE cursor changes to white, but I can't select curves? Nothing happens?

SU ver. is 7.0.10247

Thanks

cupko 

Postby pilou » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:22 pm

Have you transformed each curves in "Group?"
Menu Edit / Group
Then select the 2 groups
Then call the plug :enlight:
Last edited by pilou on Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frenchy Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
Speedy Galerie
pilou 
Top SketchUcator

Postby TIG » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:49 pm

Thanks Pilou for the help...

As was said... unlike most of the the other EEby.. tools that require you to pick 'curves' to make the mesh, EEbyEdges requires that the two sets of edges are assembled into two separate groups [you then pick these two groups using the tool]. This grouping allows you to use edges that are not necessarily parts of curves, or indeed even connected together at all, in the EEbyE.. operation...
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby cupko » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:53 pm

Thanks for help :enlight:. Make group isn't possible from right-clik menu, but this works perefectly! Great plugin :sketchstatic: .

cupko 

Postby TIG » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:21 pm

All right-click context-menu items are also available at the end of the Edit Menu...
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby linco » Tue May 10, 2011 2:33 pm

TIG wrote:Get the latest zip from the first post in this thread...
Extract everything into a temporary folder - keeping all sub-folders and contents intact.
Move ALL of the the files/sub-folder(with their files) into the v8 ../Plugins/ folder.
Overwriting when prompted to do so.
Check everything that is now in the ../Plugins/TIGtools/ folder... AND if there's a file with the exact same name in the main ../Plugins/ folder remove it from the ../Plugins/ folder - it should be in the sub-folder!

Now everything should work fine.

Run the tools with the Ruby Console open to see if there are error messages.
If you still get errors - if you have SketchyPhysics installed in v8 temporarily remove its .rb files to disable it and see what happens.

If it's still not working post the error messages here... :roll:

Sorry -- I'm a Newbie and this is my first attempt to install a Ruby Plugin. Followed the instructions and I can add the Toolbar, however, it is missing the icons. If you roll your mouse over it, the little squares will light up but there are no icons on it to tell what you are using! So, what did I do wrong?

Also, I assume the Lingvo files are Help files? How do I access them?

Lin
SketchUp Pro 8
Windows7

linco 

Postby TIG » Tue May 10, 2011 3:47 pm

I suspect that you have made a similar mistake to the one you've quoted.
I suggest that you remove all of the files that you have just put into the ../Plugins/ folder; to see a list of these read the contents of the zip file and its subfolders. Files that should be in the ../Plugins/TIGtools/ subfolder should never be put into the main folder...

Now... extract the contents of that zip file into a temporary folder somewhere - e.g. ../Desktop/ExtrusionTools/ keeping all of the files that are already in a subfolder in those subfolders - the main subfolder is called 'TIGtools'.
Now move all of these extracted files and subfolders keeping the files within them [i.e. /TIGtools/] into the ../Plugins/ folder.

Now it should work with a restart...

You will find that many complex tools have a subfolder with support files in it.
Often there will be one or two .rb files to go into ../Plugins/ that kick off the tool, and the rest of the files are in a subfolder or perhaps even subfolders within a subfolder!
In the case of the ExtrusionTools, because they are a compilation over time, there are several tools with .rb tool-files and a 'loader' .rb file in ../Plugins/. The 'deBabelizer.rb' tool is required to do language translations: the .lingvo files are the translations it uses [and these must be inside ../Plugins/TIGtools/]. The .png files inside the TIGtools folder are the image-files used for the toolbar button-icons [that's why I 'know' they are not in the right folder - otherwise you wouldn't have this problem!!] :roll:

Please let me know how you fare and if you need any more help please post here...
Capture.PNG
Capture1.PNG
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby linco » Tue May 10, 2011 6:46 pm

Finally -- problem solved! Followed your directions and it still wasn't quite right - then I noticed that my Unarchive was putting everything into one big folder without your TIGtools subfolder. Used a different program to Unzip and now it all works!

thanks!

Lin

linco 

Postby TIG » Tue May 10, 2011 8:16 pm

linco wrote:Finally -- problem solved! Followed your directions and it still wasn't quite right - then I noticed that my Unarchive was putting everything into one big folder without your TIGtools subfolder. Used a different program to Unzip and now it all works!

thanks!

Lin

Aha! ALWAYS ensure the files stay inside their subfolders when you install ANY Plugin.; clearly there needs to be a .rb or .rbs file to use those BUT also note that some support files [like Fredo's LIBs all stay inside their supplied folder.
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby Wildchild » Sat May 14, 2011 11:50 am

TIG, I know this might sound silly :roll: , but what's the difference between curviloft and the extrude tools? For what I know they're pretty similar aren't they? can you (or anyone else) point out some cases where is best to use one insted of the other? thanks
Eternity is very long, especially towards the end. Woody Allen

Wildchild 

Postby TIG » Sat May 14, 2011 12:06 pm

Fredo's tools are quite a lot newer than mine.
Some of the tools are very similar, like EEbyRails and EEbyLoft - BUT there are several in the Extrusion toolset that are NOT - like 'EEby.. Lathe, Vector, Lattice, Face etc...
I have both toolsets and I use mine more, simply because I am used to it...
Fredo's do have a prettier UI and there are extra options to dynamically adjust the mesh etc, and they can work better in some circumstances - like with lofting closed-loop profiles, they might make complex messes a little faster too...
So use what you find works best for you in each instance... :D
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby wibeon » Wed May 18, 2011 5:02 pm

Hi,

The plugin doesn't appears in tools menu. I put .rb in the plugin folder but it doesn't work.

Can somebody help me ?

Thanks

wibeon 

Postby TIG » Thu May 19, 2011 11:46 am

wibeon wrote:Hi,
The plugin doesn't appears in tools menu. I put .rb in the plugin folder but it doesn't work.
Can somebody help me ?
Thanks
You should have several .rb files in the ../Plugins/ folder and several extra files in the ../Plugins/TIGtools/ subfolder ??
This is a screen-grab of what the contents of the zip file look like.
Capture.PNG
The new files/subfolder+files should be replicated exactly as this after you've extracted everything...
When you restart Sketchup there should be a drop-down submenu early in the 'Plugins' menu [Note that it's NOT in the 'Tools' menu :roll: - reread the tools' instructions] - this submenu is called 'Extrusion Tools...' and it has nine items each relating to a different tool; to activate the equivalent toolbar you must use View > Toolbars > 'Extrusion Tools'...
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Re: [Plugin] ExtrudeTools - Zipped Set 20110524

Postby TIG » Wed May 25, 2011 3:44 pm

Here's a new version viewtopic.php?p=217663#p217663
It has an additional tool ExtrudeEdgesByVectorToObject... see here for more details of the new tool... viewtopic.php?p=331059#p331059
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby jeff hammond » Wed May 25, 2011 3:54 pm

oh nice! that's a great addition.

[it also shows hints of a sweet trim tool plugin - sort of like solid booleans without the solids part.. in rhino, it works like: select cutting object(s) then pick the parts of the intersecting geometry you'd like to delete.. in eeVO, it automatically picks the side to delete on the opposite side of the cutting object of where the vector extrusion started.. in this hypothetical trim tool, you would be able to pick which side to delete... i dunno, just ideas in case you get bored one day :D)
dotdotdot
jeff hammond 
Global Moderator

Postby prismcnd » Thu May 26, 2011 3:16 am

just wanted to say thank you for your amazing efforts.
“Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.” -W.Clement Stone (American best selling Author and Founder of Combined Insurance Co (now a part of Aon Corp.), 1902-2002)

prismcnd 

Postby costa » Thu May 26, 2011 8:13 am

you are really great!!! fantastic work, thank you

costa 

Re: [Plugin] ExtrudeTools - Zipped Set 20110525

Postby TIG » Thu May 26, 2011 3:23 pm

Here's an updated set viewtopic.php?p=217663#p217663
A new tool 'ExtrudeEdgesByOffset' has been added.
Its details are found here viewtopic.php?p=331303#p331303
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Re: [Plugin] ExtrudeTools - Zipped Set 20110525

Postby d12dozr » Thu May 26, 2011 6:48 pm

Wow, TIG, a tool a day? :D Thank you for these!
3D Printing with SketchUp Book
http://goo.gl/f7ooYh

d12dozr 
Top SketchUcator

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

PreviousNext

Return to Plugins