[Plugin] RoundCorner - v3.3a - 18 Dec 18

Re: [Plugin] RoundCorner - v3.2d - 12 Aug 17

Postby Dave R » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:01 pm

Yes. I did understand you. There are already tools that do subdivision in SketchUp.
Etaoin Shrdlu

%

(THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

M30

%
Dave R 
Global Moderator

Postby filibis » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:35 pm

DATAKASH wrote:Please add 2 functions:
1) Offset (without rounding)
2) Offset with intersection (toggle)

Those features exist in QuadFace Tools and it is advised here to use as well.
Check below gif.
filibis 

Postby DATAKASH » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:43 pm

filibis wrote:
DATAKASH wrote:Please add 2 functions:
1) Offset (without rounding)
2) Offset with intersection (toggle)

Those features exist in QuadFace Tools and it is advised here to use as well.
Check below gif.

QFT does not make the offset of the desired edge.
+ Offset uneven (See the screen)
+ What if you do not have a ring? If there is no ring, the offset is not done!
Check below gif
DATAKASH 

Postby fredo6 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:55 pm

@DATAKASH

There was another request for that and it makes perfect sense.

This will come in due time, but no promise.

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby DATAKASH » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:49 am

fredo6 wrote:@DATAKASH

There was another request for that and it makes perfect sense.

This will come in due time, but no promise.

Fredo

Yes Yes Yes! @cesaro36 @Hieru They say the same thing as I do! RoundCorner would be an ideal tool, having such such functions. At the moment everything has to be done manually, every day :(
DATAKASH 

Postby fredo6 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:17 pm

Following up on the discussion about using RoundCorner for drawing the control mesh of a subdivision, I am interested to understand what would be the 'best' control mesh for the following shapes (also in the SKP file attached, SU2015).

SubDiv Mesh Corner.png

As you will notice, the offset lines do not cross on the edges at the same point.

Thanks

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby tuna1957 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:43 am

Fredo, I'm no expert at the SubD stuff but had a go at the model you posted. Kept in mind the intent was for rounding corners. Posting your skip. file back so you can better look at what I did. Hope it's helpful in some way.

tuna1957 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby DATAKASH » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:22 am

Such a grid would be quite appropriate
The subdivision does not like n-gon, So some models have to be cut manually

Yes, on some models, the bias lines do not intersect at the edges at the same point. I noticed this too. (screenshot 2)
DATAKASH 

Postby fredo6 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:04 pm

@DATAKASH and @tuna1857

Thank you very much for quick answer. This confirms that's not a straight by-product of RoundCorner.

I am interested in getting the 'subdivided' version of the shapes. I don't have SubDiv myself and I am not familiar with subdivision, So, it will be helpful by the time I purchase it and get into it.

Thanks again

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby tuna1957 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:31 am

Fredo, Went back in and cleaned things up better than the first attempt. Posting zip of the model, shows proxies and after SubD.
For your information, the first attempt I just used the SU offset tool on all faces and connected things up at the corners with the line tool. This led to some angles in the corners and I think contributed to the not so great results. All the objects did pass the Quadface Tools analyze function.
On this second try pay strict attention to keeping all the loops running parallel to respective edges. It took a lot of hand work with the tape tool and line tool. A result of this is the offsets are not all the same distance from edges. All the shapes in the second go passed the Quadface tools analyze function except the wedge on the left, wedge on the right passed. Hope this makes sense and is somewhat helpful.

tuna1957 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby fredo6 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:20 pm

Charles,

Thank you very much. Very helpful.

However, are you sure that SubDivision is appropriate for rounding edges?

From what I see, the subdivision gives the following result:

SubDiv Q1.png

After cleaning the coplanar edges, the subdivision appears to be more or less equivalent to an edge rounding with 2 segments.

SubDiv Q2.png

But, then, I wonder why you do not prefer a more regular rounding with RoundCorner, here with 2 segments too.

SubDiv Q3.png

Again, I have no experience with SubDivision. So I am just trying to clarify.

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby DATAKASH » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:56 am

Round Corner has minor problems with rendering. Subdivision is much smoother.
Subdivision can be turned off and mesh corrected.
DATAKASH 

Postby tuna1957 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:56 pm

Fredo, Agree with you that SubD to get round corners may not be the preferred approach for everybody. Referring back to DATAKASH's posts, I think the main point of DATAKASH'S request was to be able to use your Roundcorner plugin to help build the mesh in their proxy model prior to running SubD. I honestly don't know the first thing about writing these plug ins and really don't know if this is something that could be implemented into Roundcorner. At this point I think I'm going to quietly disappear and let you and DATAKASH kick this around, I was trying to help out some by posting example meshes for you to study......

tuna1957 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Pixero » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:25 pm

A new version of round corner with all quads and an on/off switch (like subD has) would help tremendously.
Pixero 

Postby fredo6 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:16 am

DATAKASH wrote:Round Corner has minor problems with rendering. Subdivision is much smoother.

That's interesting! and it would be useful to understand why?
- Is it because the rounding is circular?
- or too regular?
- of for other reasons related to the Rendering parameters

tuna1957 wrote:Fredo, Agree with you that SubD to get round corners may not be the preferred approach for everybody. Referring back to DATAKASH's posts, I think the main point of DATAKASH'S request was to be able to use your Roundcorner plugin to help build the mesh in their proxy model prior to running SubD. I honestly don't know the first thing about writing these plug ins and really don't know if this is something that could be implemented into Roundcorner

What I see from DATAKASH examples (and yours), is that the shape should first be 'quadified' and have consistent 'loops'.
Can QuadFaceTools do this automatically, including when there are holes in faces?

For instance, this shape...

SubDiv Q4.png

...should first be 'quadified'...

SubDiv Q5.png

...and then, I guess this makes it easier to construct the offset control mesh.

SubDiv Q6.png

Pixero wrote:A new version of round corner with all quads and an on/off switch (like subD has) would help tremendously.

Corners made of quads, as opposed to triangles (for tri-border corners) are possible. However, even in orthogonal cases, each quad may be triangulated. So this increases the number of facets.

SubDiv Q7.png

For a Proxy of RoundCorner, this is independent. Actually, any script doing an object transformation could (or should) have a proxy to enable / disable. Sketchup does not provide a standard method for that, so I guess it has to be simulated, via copy, invisible layers or simply parameterization.

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Pixero » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:38 pm

fredo6 wrote:Corners made of quads, as opposed to triangles (for tri-border corners) are possible. However, even in orthogonal cases, each quad may be triangulated. So this increases the number of facets.

But it would make it possible to texture better with UV's as for example QuadFaceTools can interpret pairs of those triangles as a quad.

fredo6 wrote:For a Proxy of RoundCorner, this is independent. Actually, any script doing an object transformation could (or should) have a proxy to enable / disable. Sketchup does not provide a standard method for that, so I guess it has to be simulated, via copy, invisible layers or simply parameterization.

Fredo

Maybe you could check with Thomthom how he does it in SubD?
When I have thought about this I was thinking of saving the original geometry information in an attribute, but that is perhaps a bad idea?
Or how does a modify stack work in for example Max?
I'm sure a system for history would benifit a lot of SU plugins.
If it would be possible with a on/off switch it would be a great addition to SU. :thumb:
Pixero 

Postby DATAKASH » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:13 am

fredo6 wrote:
DATAKASH wrote:Round Corner has minor problems with rendering. Subdivision is much smoother.

That's interesting! and it would be useful to understand why?
- Is it because the rounding is circular?
- or too regular?
- of for other reasons related to the Rendering parameters

I think this is due to the fact that subdivision affects the whole object
And yes, his grid is also triangulated.

As I see, creating offset by selecting each face manually
(If this is a reasonable solution?)
DATAKASH 

Postby fredo6 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:47 pm

What I see at least as a true difference is that, with SubDivision, the edges and corners are not rounded with circle (as in RoundCorner), but with other types of curves (Catmull-Clark splines). So the transition for the flat part to the rounding is different.

The other difference in your example is that the flat face is also 'quadified' with co-planar facets, triangular. So here too, for rendering there may a difference between this set of facets versus a single big face, even if geometrically, the two situations are identical.

I don't know if anyone has some opinions on all this, in relation with renering.

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Pixero » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:40 pm

Pixero 

Postby fredo6 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:05 am

Pixero,

Interesting indeed.

I made a few trials, which are illustrated in the attached model (SU2015), with 6 types of rounding, each generated with 6 segments. I also made a quick rendering with Thea.

Could any one advise on what is the 'best' for Rendering.

Thanks

Fredo

Iphone Rounding.png

Corner iphone blue.png

Corner iphone.skp
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby kimi kimi » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:34 pm

Hi Fredo, hi everyone,
I made an update to my Round Corner plugin this morning, and now I can't see the toolbar with all the options when I activate the command. Is this a problem only on my computer, or does someone else have it too?
As you can see on screenshot, the command is active, there is text in bottom left and right, but I don't see the toolbar. I tried erasing it, erasing and reinstalling Fredo6 library, but still same result.
kimi kimi 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Pixero » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:45 pm

@fredo:

Thats a tough one... not number 2 or 2,5 but the rest I have a hard time deciding which look best when rendered. Maybe if you commented on what the difference between them are?
Pixero 

Postby fredo6 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:33 pm

kimi kimi wrote:Hi Fredo, hi everyone,
I made an update to my Round Corner plugin this morning, and now I can't see the toolbar with all the options when I activate the command. Is this a problem only on my computer, or does someone else have it too?
As you can see on screenshot, the command is active, there is text in bottom left and right, but I don't see the toolbar. I tried erasing it, erasing and reinstalling Fredo6 library, but still same result.

Could you open the RUBY console and advise on any error message you would observe.

Thanks

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby fredo6 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:37 pm

Pixero wrote:@fredo:

Thats a tough one... not number 2 or 2,5 but the rest I have a hard time deciding which look best when rendered. Maybe if you commented on what the difference between them are?

The number is a factor of blending between a circle and a square (Squircle or super-circle).
- 2 is a pure circle
- 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6 are blended curve, the higher the number, the closer to a square.

I least I witness that you think a squircle is better than a pure circular profile for rendering.

Since another common utilisation of RoundCorner is for 3D-printing, it remains to be decided if this is also the case.

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby kimi kimi » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:13 pm

fredo6 wrote:
kimi kimi wrote:Hi Fredo, hi everyone,

Could you open the RUBY console and advise on any error message you would observe.

Thanks

Fredo

Thanks for your response,
I'm not sure what to look for in Ruby Console, so I just copied text from it.
I suppose this might point to something.
Error: #<NoMethodError: undefined method `view_line_width=' for G6:Module>
kimi kimi 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby fredo6 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:32 pm

@kimi kimi

Simple. You need to upgrade LibFredo6 to the latest version (v7.7c).

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby CREAIMMO » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:33 am

Bonjour,

Merci pour Roundcorner, c'est un plugin sympa.

Est ce qu'il serait possible dans une futur mise a jour de prévoir des chanfreins avec 2 cotes différentes

que x soit different de Y

actuellement si je donne une valeur de chanfrein de 1mm il va faire 1 mm de chque coté de l'arrete principale

sauf que j'aimerai que l'on puisse choisir 1mm en y et 0,5mm en x exemple

Cordialement
creaimmo

CREAIMMO 

Postby fredo6 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:45 pm

CREAIMMO wrote:Est ce qu'il serait possible dans une futur mise a jour de prévoir des chanfreins avec 2 cotes différentes

Asymmetric rounding is indeed an interesting features, requested by very few users however. With the current approach of RoundCorner, would be a little bit difficult. So It will have to wait for a full refresh.

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby countercharge » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:02 pm

Hi, sorry for the noob question but I've installed this plugin and even after reading the documentation I can't figure out how to use it. I don't see any way to bring up the interface after selecting the edge I want to round.. nothing in the toolbar, nothing in the menu. The plugin is enabled but I'm totally at a loss as to how to use it.

edit: nevermind, the interface showed up

countercharge 

Postby fredo6 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:33 pm

countercharge wrote:edit: nevermind, the interface showed up

Did you identify what was the problem (in case this happens to other users)?

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

PreviousNext

Return to Plugins