[Plugin] UV Toolkit

[Plugin] UV Toolkit

Postby thomthom » Tue May 12, 2009 2:27 pm

Overview
A selection of tools to assist in UV mapping textures.



Access
  • View > Toolbars > UV Toolkit²
  • Plugins > UV Toolkit²
  • Quad-Face > Right-Click > UV Clipboard

Features
Fit Texture to Quad-faces (2.0.0)

Copy UV Co-ordinates (2.1.0)
Paste UV Co-ordinates (2.1.0)

Allows you to copy the way a texture is mapped on a quad-face to another quad-face. (See video for demonstration.)

UV Memory (2.1.0)
Very Experimental!
Use only on triangles and quad-faces.


Fit Texture to Quad-faces
Will try to fit the texture of the current material onto all quad-faces in the selection. The texture should fit once across the face, no tiling.

  • Select a textured material. (Make it the current one in the Painbucket tool.)
  • Select all the quad-faces you want to apply the texture to. (Anything else will be ignored.)
  • Plugins->UV Toolkit->Fit Texture to Quad-faces

  • The faces has to have only four corners. (Before 0.2.0b a quad-face could only have four vertices.)
  • Orientation is not uniform.
  • Texture is currently mapped to front faces only.

UVToolkit.png

UVToolkit2.png

UVToolkit3.png

UVToolkit4.png


Rotate QF 90/180/270 Degrees (0.3.0b)
Rotates the orientation of the textures on the quad-face. Will cause unexpected results if the texture isn't fit to a quad-face.

Frontface to Backface / Backface to Frontface (0.3.0b)
Transfers the material from one side of the face to the other. UV mapping will be mirrored.


Known Issues
  • 'Fit Texture to Quad-faces' places the texture arbitrary.
  • Rotation methods only rotates the front face.

Requirements
  • SketchUp 7 or newer - ( Other versions untested )
  • TT_Lib2 (v2.5.0)

Download




Footprint
<Sketchup>/Plugins/
+-
tt_uv_toolkit_2.rb
+-
TT_UV_Toolkit
| +-
Images
| +-
clipboard.rb
| +-
core.rb
| +-
loader.rb
| +-
memory.rb
| +-
quadface.rb

1
Last edited by thomthom on Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:10 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
User avatar
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [Plugin] UV Toolkit (0.1.1b)

Postby Gaieus » Tue May 12, 2009 2:56 pm

I am not the man of words, Thom. However I have been wishing something like this for sooo long. The first real step for my (lots of) arched structures. :thumb:
:sketchstatic: :sketchstatic: :sketchstatic:

Arc.jpg

Now off to play with it on more complex surfaces. Maybe you could talk to Chris and combine this with his bend plugin so when it's applied, all the UV's are maintained "stuck" to the arch. ;)

No, just kidding. it seems that after bending I could apply this plugin and everything gets "fixed".

Did I say that I'd be off to playing with it more?
And did I already thank?
_______

Update: playing around with a tubular arch with 25 segments (odd number - after all you need to have a "keystone" in the middle) and with a tube of 8 segments.

Arc.jpg

What I noticed is that you need to have the orientation of the image file in the model correct. You cannot rotate the texture using hidden geometry on an THEN apply the plugin because it will revert it to the default orientation.

Or maybe I haven't played with it enough yet. :oops:
0
User avatar
Gaieus 
 

Re: [Plugin] UV Toolkit (0.1.1b)

Postby thomthom » Tue May 12, 2009 3:15 pm

Gaieus wrote:I am not the man of words, Thom. However I have been wishing something like this for sooo long. The first real step for my (lots of) arched structures. :thumb:

Texturing arches was one of my own needs for this plugin. Though it does require to make everything into quads first. How do you do that? I found that by moving one of the arches up or down, SU's autofold would create the extra lines needed. I could then move the arch back to it's original position and have it completely flat. (If that made any sense at all...)


Glad it could be of use. :)
0
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
User avatar
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [Plugin] UV Toolkit (0.1.1b)

Postby Gaieus » Tue May 12, 2009 3:23 pm

thomthom wrote:it does require to make everything into quads first. How do you do that?

Well, in this case I added the dividing line by hand. :D
I'm used to "handwork" with arches anyway so it didn't mean too much extra work. Forcing autofold can however be a good idea.
0
User avatar
Gaieus 
 

Re: [Plugin] UV Toolkit (0.1.1b)

Postby thomthom » Tue May 12, 2009 3:43 pm

Gaieus wrote:What I noticed is that you need to have the orientation of the image file in the model correct. You cannot rotate the texture using hidden geometry on an THEN apply the plugin because it will revert it to the default orientation.


At the moment I don't control at all the orientation of the texture. Further investigation will show if I can control it somehow. Currently I'm trying to identify faces that have four corners, but might be punctuated by other vertices.
0
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
User avatar
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [Plugin] UV Toolkit (0.1.1b)

Postby richcat » Tue May 12, 2009 3:49 pm

Big Thankyou :thumb:
0

richcat 
 

Re: [Plugin] UV Toolkit (0.1.1b)

Postby Gaieus » Tue May 12, 2009 3:53 pm

thomthom wrote:At the moment I don't control at all the orientation of the texture. Further investigation will show if I can control it somehow...

Never mind. It's already a great help and once you are over the excitement, like you say 'If you ask me about any other UV mapping feature, the answer will most likely be; "I don't know."' I already have ideas ;)
0
User avatar
Gaieus 
 

Re: [Plugin] UV Toolkit (0.1.1b)

Postby thomthom » Tue May 12, 2009 4:00 pm

I have lots of ideas myself. I just don't know if I can do them. ;)
0
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
User avatar
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [Plugin] UV Toolkit (0.1.1b)

Postby free agent » Tue May 12, 2009 4:01 pm

dammit thomthom, i want to stop using sketchup altogether and u guys keep giving me less reason to leave, cant wait to see more developement on this, please keep road kurbs in mind, perhaps a follow along path type texturing, i might be pissing in the wind but we all need to pee every now and then (i'll try work on a better analogy)... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
0
User avatar
free agent 
 

Re: [Plugin] UV Toolkit (0.1.1b)

Postby thomthom » Tue May 12, 2009 4:04 pm

Free Agent wrote: please keep road kurbs in mind, perhaps a follow along path type texturing

This is one of the final goals I hope to be able to do. ;)
0
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
User avatar
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [Plugin] UV Toolkit (0.1.1b)

Postby sepo » Tue May 12, 2009 5:16 pm

Nice one TT. Really useful piece of kit. :thumb:
0

sepo 
 

Re: [Plugin] UV Toolkit (0.1.1b)

Postby Stinkie » Tue May 12, 2009 5:52 pm

Coen Naninck wrote:
Free Agent wrote:i want to stop using sketchup altogether

Why?


Wild guess: texturing, poly count etc.

Nice plugin, Thomas. Thanks! :thumb:
0
'Nobody knew health care could be so complicated.' -D. Trump
User avatar
Stinkie 
 

Re: [Plugin] UV Toolkit (0.1.1b)

Postby free agent » Tue May 12, 2009 8:40 pm

stinkie wrote:
Coen Naninck wrote:
Free Agent wrote:i want to stop using sketchup altogether

Why?


Wild guess: texturing, poly count etc.




etc etc etc... learn ANY other modeler, that should answere the question, still love sketchup though...
0
User avatar
free agent 
 

Re: [Plugin] UV Toolkit (0.2.0b)

Postby Frederik » Tue May 12, 2009 8:45 pm

Thanks, Thomas... :thumb:
0
User avatar
Frederik 
Thea Render Support
Thea Render Support
 

Re: [Plugin] UV Toolkit (0.2.0b)

Postby majid » Tue May 12, 2009 9:37 pm

thanx , that is great
0
User avatar
majid 
Top SketchUcator
 

Re: [Plugin] UV Toolkit (0.2.0b)

Postby EarthMover » Wed May 13, 2009 3:13 am

Thanks Thom, this is exactly what I need!! :thumb: :thumb:
0
3D Artist at Clearstory 3D Imaging
Guide Tool at Winning With Sketchup
Content Creator at Skapeup
User avatar
EarthMover 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

Re: [Plugin] UV Toolkit (0.1.1b)

Postby thomthom » Wed May 13, 2009 8:36 am

Gaieus wrote:What I noticed is that you need to have the orientation of the image file in the model correct. You cannot rotate the texture using hidden geometry on an THEN apply the plugin because it will revert it to the default orientation.


I've managed to rotate the texture of rectangular quad-faces 90,180 and 270 degrees. But I'm experiencing some oddity with quads of an unusual shape. Getting there though. (And yes, it does rotate the texture of multiple face all at once.)
0
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
User avatar
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [Plugin] UV Toolkit (0.2.0b)

Postby davide.skp » Wed May 13, 2009 10:58 am

Fast and accurate, you are a great!
I try to stress a little the process with some complex geometries ..... but for now everything seems perfect!
Triangular faces with respect to I have a half idea ... Once I realize the concept I try to give you news!

once again thanks Thomas ...
you are a power!
0

davide.skp 
 

Re: [Plugin] UV Toolkit (0.2.0b)

Postby thomthom » Wed May 13, 2009 11:26 am

Yea, I've been wondering how to tackle triangles. If you have some ideas that'd be nice.
0
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
User avatar
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [Plugin] UV Toolkit (0.2.0b)

Postby davide.skp » Wed May 13, 2009 11:33 am

What's next?
I might merge my Mirror UV Mapping plugin with this if I can get this thing working as I want.

In fact everything is fine until you make the
"Mirror UV Mapping plugin"

---
sorry, as usual, my English ... I hope is understandable!
---
0

davide.skp 
 

Re: [Plugin] UV Toolkit (0.2.0b)

Postby numerobis » Wed May 13, 2009 11:50 am

WOW! Thank You! Very cool! :berserk:

@davide.skp
have you tried to group all faces first and then use the mirror tool?
I had this issue with imported trees. Using the mirror tool without opening the group/component worked well - applying it to the faces in the group messed up all uv's forever... :roll:
0

numerobis 
 

Re: [Plugin] UV Toolkit (0.2.0b)

Postby thomthom » Wed May 13, 2009 12:20 pm

hmmm.... do you have that test model still? could you upload it here so I can have a look at it?

btw, where you using version 0.1.x or 0.2.0 for those tests?
0
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
User avatar
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [Plugin] UV Toolkit (0.1.1b)

Postby Gaieus » Wed May 13, 2009 12:32 pm

thomthom wrote:I've managed to rotate the texture of rectangular quad-faces 90,180 and 270 degrees. But I'm experiencing some oddity with quads of an unusual shape. Getting there though. (And yes, it does rotate the texture of multiple face all at once.)

I had no problem with rotating the texture on my first example but in the second (tubular) one,with hidden geometry in it, it reverted.

I'll perform some further tests however.
0
User avatar
Gaieus 
 

Re: [Plugin] UV Toolkit (0.2.0b)

Postby davide.skp » Wed May 13, 2009 1:06 pm

thom, I have the model but the problem happens with all drawing, although groups geometries
0
Last edited by davide.skp on Wed May 13, 2009 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davide.skp 
 

Re: [Plugin] UV Toolkit (0.2.0b)

Postby davide.skp » Wed May 13, 2009 1:30 pm

As for the triangular faces, however, I think we can solve from the creation of texture ENDOW ...
therefore, if you create the texture, like that crap that attached below ((do not laugh ... please! (on this machine I do not have libraries, and even software))
TEXTURE BE DONE WITH THIS LOGIC
potresti forcing the deformation of the side "red" retaining its position as the pivotal point of the "green" and excluding portions "black"?
0

davide.skp 
 

Re: [Plugin] UV Toolkit (0.2.0b)

Postby thomthom » Wed May 13, 2009 1:32 pm

Ok, it's a bug when the face is not shaped like a rectangle or parallelogram. I have similar issue when I tried to make a function that rotates the texture left/right. This affects both this plugin as well as the UV Mirror plugin.

I must look deeper into how skewed textures works.
0
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
User avatar
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [Plugin] UV Toolkit (0.2.0b)

Postby thomthom » Wed May 13, 2009 1:33 pm

davide.skp wrote:As for the triangular faces, however, I think we can solve from the creation of texture ENDOW ...
therefore, if you create the texture, like that crap that attached below ((do not laugh ... please! (on this machine I do not have libraries, and even software))
TEXTURE BE DONE WITH THIS LOGIC
potresti forcing the deformation of the side "red" retaining its position as the pivotal point of the "green" and excluding portions "black"?

Not sure if I understand this. "potresti"?
0
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
User avatar
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [Plugin] UV Toolkit (0.2.0b)

Postby davide.skp » Wed May 13, 2009 2:18 pm

I was using google translator ... fell like a donkey!

I said that we could adjust the triangle, if it were made with certain criteria, what do you think?

or ... we should not necessarily create a specific texture (which depend on the use if they want to do)
however, the routine should position the texture on the face by adjusting the triangular side "red" at the base of the triangle and the other side the one with the "green" im sure that the "green" is in the middle and coincident with the apex of the triangle ..

I hope you understand! sincerely sorry but use very little English!
0

davide.skp 
 

Re: [Plugin] UV Toolkit (0.2.0b)

Postby thomthom » Wed May 13, 2009 2:31 pm

Ok, now I understand. I'll have to think a little on that one though. Will make quad-faces work first.
0
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
User avatar
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [Plugin] UV Toolkit (0.2.0b)

Postby davide.skp » Wed May 13, 2009 3:14 pm

:thumb: good wrk and tnks
0

davide.skp 
 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago



Ad Machine 
Robot
 

Next


 

Return to Plugins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: daaniisan, jonorman and 5 guests

Visit our sponsors: