[Plugin] Perpendicular Face Tools (UPDATED 26-03-09)

Re: [Plugin] Perpendicular Face Tools (UPDATED 26-03-09)

Postby Chris Fullmer » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:14 am

Yeah, it would be very easy to make it recognize a construvtion point as the placement point. So next round:

Near future:
Add construction point placement
Fix rotation keys
Add multiple flat face support for the custom tool.

Distant Future:
Re-write custom face tool to rotate correctly always.

My Next Life:
Turn it into a proper sweep tool with multiple deformation methods.

Lets hope for the best :)

Chris

And thanks for the detail on that Dave, quite useful. It might be possible to implement that funcitonality. Is that something that is wideuly used enough that it woul be helpful?
Lately you've been tan, suspicious for the winter.
All my Plugins I've written
Chris Fullmer 
SketchUp Team
SketchUp Team

Postby Dave R » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:04 am

Chris, if the function was available I think it would be used a lot by certain woodworkers who are using SU for designing their work. I can imagine others would use it as well. I've drawn a number of pieces utilizing the method I used for that handle such as table legs but I've always had to manually place the faces. I always found that the more tedious part of the process.

If you could automate the sizing of the faces, it would be very handy. I think working to nodes on the curves would be good.

I tend to halve or quarter more complex shapes such as that handle because they're generally a small part of a larger project and I don't want their contribution to the file size to exceed their worth if you know what I mean. I wonder if there would be a way in a dialog box to ask if the shape is half of a symmetric profile and should one edge of the profiles be aligned. Or maybe the scaling could be done such that the faces fit between top and bottom lines and left and right lines. If one of the pair of lines is straight, it could be used as the line of symmetry. Does that make any sense?

Not to dump a lot on you but the topper would be to roll the Skin plugin into your script. The process would be place the faces along the path, scale them to fit between the "sweep" curves, explode the face groups, delete the faces leaving the edges, skin between them and smooth the edges. What do you think of that?
Etaoin Shrdlu

%

(THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

M30

%
Dave R 
Global Moderator

Postby Chris Fullmer » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:10 am

I've got a few scripts in mind that deal with similar functions. We'll see if I attempt to write it into this one, or create a totally new script. I would definitely like to investigate this area of scripts. They sound like a lot of fun.

Chris
Chris Fullmer 
SketchUp Team
SketchUp Team

Postby pilou » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:14 am

A Scaling function between each click of a face along the curve :enlight:
(with the arrows Right / Left for example Increase / Decrease)
Frenchy Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
Speedy Galerie
pilou 
Top SketchUcator

Postby jeff hammond » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:56 pm

Pilou wrote:A Scaling function between each click of a face along the curve :enlight:
(with the arrows Right / Left for example Increase / Decrease)

to go even further off topic :) :

what if you could scale the faces via some sort of weighing mechanism? (and i'm not sure if 'weighing' is the right term here -- i basically mean that everything isn't scaled equally and the 'pressure' is greatest at a determined point and dissipates as it gets further away ... i can sort of give an idea using the smoove tool but that only works up/down.. if this could somehow work with the scale tool instead, it would open up a lot of options.

dotdotdot
jeff hammond 
Global Moderator

Postby Chris Fullmer » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:13 pm

Yeah, a soft selection tool (which is essentially what smoove does) would be nice. Its probably not enough, but you can hold down shift with the smoove tool to make it work in other directions than just the blue axis.

Chris
Chris Fullmer 
SketchUp Team
SketchUp Team

Postby jeff hammond » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:50 pm

re: the construction point for placement of the custom profile..

would something like this be hard to implement? (via 1001bit's extrude tool)

dotdotdot
jeff hammond 
Global Moderator

Postby Chris Fullmer » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:00 pm

I like that. I'll have to think about it. It might require some re-writing and re-organizing.

And I am really bad at the on-screen display of rubber band lines and crosshairs and lines that light up etc. Maybe once I get those under control, I can implement something more visually friendly. For now, I might just have to include a true construction point recognition.

Thanks for the great suggestions,

Chris
Chris Fullmer 
SketchUp Team
SketchUp Team

Postby pilou » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:41 pm

@dave
Between Chris's plugin and the Skin plugin, this was all dead simple and fast work.

What is the number of the version of Skin plug you use?
Frenchy Pilou
Speedy Galerie
pilou 
Top SketchUcator

Postby Dave R » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:53 pm

Pilou wrote:@dave
Between Chris's plugin and the Skin plugin, this was all dead simple and fast work.

What is the number of the version of Skin plug you use?

Looks like 2.2.1
Etaoin Shrdlu

%

(THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

M30

%
Dave R 
Global Moderator

Postby pilou » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:57 pm

Many thx ;)
Frenchy Pilou
Speedy Galerie
pilou 
Top SketchUcator

Postby jeff hammond » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:48 am

i think a good branch/byproduct of perpendicular face tools could be perpendicular line.. (and this ruby might already exist? tried searching to no avail)

the only thing it would need to do (that i can think of) is draw a construction line perpendicular to a line that's on a plane.

goal - perp.line at the green dot -- [edit] the greyish background is actually a plane.. the line isn't floating in space.. i should've shown that better.

using perpendicular face tool (which is now the easiest way for me to do this)

the proposed byproduct

this would be one of the cool little rubies that i'd assign a shortcut to..

[EDIT] i said:
"the only thing it would need to do (that i can think of) is draw a construction line perpendicular to a line that's on a plane."

i guess it should also be a little smarter than that and function how perp.face tools does in that if you click on a vertex, the angle will be bisected.
dotdotdot
jeff hammond 
Global Moderator

Postby dtrarch » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:53 pm

Jeff

Just draw a perpendicular line [by inference] to end segment and convert to construction line with xline.rb
http://www.smustard.com/script/Xline

dtr

dtrarch 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jeff hammond » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:10 pm

dtrarch wrote:Jeff

Just draw a perpendicular line [by inference] to end segment and convert to construction line with xline.rb
http://www.smustard.com/script/Xline

dtr

thanks
but it's not as if i need the construction line, it's just that drawing a perpendicular line via inferencing is hit or miss.. the example i posted should be easy enough but if other lines are around, the inferencing goes haywire.. i usually have to resort to using the protractor.. simple enough but still annoying and the less tiny annoyances i have to deal with, the better my moral is :D

[edit] oh, and actually.. i think the perp.face tool might even be better for me anyway.. for one, instead of having an infinite length const. line, i can type my dimension in the vcb with chris' tool. (ie if i need a 10' perp. line, type in 20').. the fact that the perpendicular face is a group makes it real easy to get rid of the reference plane after i'm finished with it..
dotdotdot
jeff hammond 
Global Moderator

Postby jeff hammond » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:25 am

from a different thread but it's about this plugin

Chris Fullmer wrote:And Jeff, why is your perpendicular face tool icon so tiny? That's kind of weird. It should be the normal size.

it's because the resolution is set to 300 and all the other icons are at 72.. for some reason, SU mac is reading the actual document size instead of the pixel dimensions when displaying the icons in the custom toolbar.. strange
i have it sorted out now but i guess in the future, make sure they're at 72 ?
dotdotdot
jeff hammond 
Global Moderator

Postby magazines » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:15 am

Hi,
I'm a bit of a newbie. I have been trying for hours to produce a plane that is perpendicular to a line (a sight line actually). I tried to access your plug-in which seems to accomplish this task wonderfully, but it said I did not have permission. How could I get a copy? Thanks very much for the writing of the plug in.
Brandon

magazines 

Postby Chris Fullmer » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:18 am

It said you didn't have permission when you tried to download it? or when you tried to run the plugin?

Chris
Chris Fullmer 
SketchUp Team
SketchUp Team

Postby magazines » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:27 am

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the response. It's odd, I got the plugin to download after re-registering.
But even when I put it in the plugins folder, it doesn't show up under my plugin pull-down menu.
Strange. I'm sure I'm doing something very stupid, but at the same time I've tried it different ways.
Any ideas? It certainly seems to be what I'm looking to do.
Thanks,
Brandon

magazines 

Postby Chris Fullmer » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:47 am

I file it under Plugins>Chris Fullmer Tools> Perpendicular Face Tools. Let me know if its not there,

Chris
Chris Fullmer 
SketchUp Team
SketchUp Team

Postby magazines » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:56 am

Well,
I think there we have a difference of platforms. I'm on a mac and the plugins go in a folder under application support for Sketchup. I think I have it in the right folder.
When I open sketchup (upgraded to 7) I get the following message:

no such file to load -- clf_perpendicular_face_tools/clf_perpendicular_face_tools.rbError Loading File clf_perpendicular_face_tools_loader.rb
no such file to load -- clf_perpendicular_face_tools/clf_perpendicular_face_tools.rb

I'm really not sure what is happening. Also I tried another plugin on the forum, and it worked.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Brandon

magazines 

Postby jeff hammond » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:24 am

when you download the plugin & unzip the file, you'll have a folder called
clf_perpendicular_face_tools_v1_2

open that folder and you'll see two items:
clf_perpendicular_face_tools_loader.rb & a folder called
clf_perpendicular_face_tools

place those two items in your sketchup plugins folder and start SU..

the path should look like this:
perpfaceinstall.jpg

(click on the picture for larger)

note the two items i listed above are in the plugins folder.. the actual ruby is inside the clf_perpendicular_face_tools folder.. leave it there along with the toolbar icons.
dotdotdot
jeff hammond 
Global Moderator

Postby magazines » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:44 pm

Thanks Chris and Jeff,
I downloaded it again, and finally got it to work. For some reason it was automatically creating another folder within the clf_perpendicular_face_tools folder. So I guess it wasn't seeing the ruby.
Thanks much, It looks like this tool does exactly what I need.
Thanks for helping out someone getting started.
Brandon

magazines 

Postby Chris Fullmer » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:48 pm

Oh good, glad you got it working,t hanks for helping Jeff. I'm pretty useless with Mac info.

And check this script in the future. I'm busy right now with school, but in the not to distant future this is a script that I have a few planned tweaks, includingbetter Mac support (I think the rotation keys might not work on a Mac if I remember correctly), and letting the custom face use a point other than its center point. Both are easy enough to implement, I just need to do it. So like I said, check back on this plugin in the future, and hopefully it will be even better,

Chris
Chris Fullmer 
SketchUp Team
SketchUp Team

Postby broomstick » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:33 am

Chris, I never got to thank you for this script. It is a time and life saver when fast modeling stair railings!!!!
broomstick 

Postby driven » Mon May 11, 2009 3:29 am

Hi Chris

the link appears to be broken, I've downloaded a couple of your others before and after getting "you do not have permission"
html instead of this file, I'll try again next session, but it may need re-posting from your end.

It looks great, and I do like your videos...

john
learn from the mistakes of others, you may not live long enough to make them all yourself...

driven 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Chris Fullmer » Mon May 11, 2009 5:44 am

Hi John, the link is good. There have been reports of some people have issues downloading files from the sketchucation forum. I don't know if aynone has ever figured out what causes the error though. Please try to download it again. If it still is not working, let me know and I'll upload it to another place where you could download it. Just let me know either way,

Chris
Chris Fullmer 
SketchUp Team
SketchUp Team

Postby driven » Mon May 11, 2009 1:55 pm

Hi Chris,

Came down this session on second attempt (using a different download manager)... No idea why...

This site may have Safari issues, Auto Login doesn't always work, and tab browsing seems to have me logged in at one page, but not another.
It's not consistent so I can't quite figure out what's happening...

I'll try these plugins now

cheers

John
learn from the mistakes of others, you may not live long enough to make them all yourself...

driven 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby ken » Sun May 24, 2009 2:22 pm

Chris

I noticed that “Perpendicular Face Tools” (PFT) will make squares that are in factions of an inch, such as 10 1/4" per side, however the circle tool always seems to round off, 10 1/4” becomes a 10” radius.

Was this intentional, or is it an error with my computer?

Would be nice if the circle tool would operate with factional inches.

Thanks for all you plugins.

Ken
Fight like your the third monkey on Noah's Ark gangway.
ken 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Chris Fullmer » Sun May 24, 2009 4:13 pm

Interesting, thats a good catch Ken. I tihnk its a bug.

Also Ken, I am remembering you said you had two "Chris Fullmer Tools" menus. Is that still the case? And if so, do you mind listing what plugins are in each? I'd like to fix all that at some point.

Chris
Chris Fullmer 
SketchUp Team
SketchUp Team

Postby ken » Sun May 24, 2009 10:30 pm

Chris

Thanks for remembering. However, it has changed from the original. It went to one menu item during one of your scripts install to now again two menu items. I have just learned to live with it.

Here are the two menu items as of now.

First Chris Fullmer Tools
1. Center on origin
2. Shape Bender

Second Chris Fullmer Tools – Well I’ll be darned, I have two Shape Benders. I never noticed that there was a duplicate menu item.

1. Components onto Face
2. Label Open Edges
3. Scale & Rotate
4. Select Lines by Length
5. Shape Bender
6. Loose Geometry to Groups
7. Perpendicular Face Tool
8. Line Tool
9. Arc Center Finder
10. Simple Loft
11. Extended Standard View

Also, Chris thanks for the tip on how to arrange menu items by adjusting you window size. So far it works great.
Fight like your the third monkey on Noah's Ark gangway.
ken 
Premium Member
Premium Member

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

PreviousNext

Return to Plugins