[Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby Builder54 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:11 pm

thomthom wrote:
Builder54 wrote:Bug Splat[/quote

Can you reliably reproduce the error? If so, can you send me the model and step by step instructions?


Up to now I have not been developing a single model, rather gaining experience with organic modelling tools. So I will take on a small project and see if I can reproduce the error messages. On a side note, I know that Quad Face Tools was recently updated. I was attempting to use the offset loop option but kept getting the same error message that VT2 is giving me. I've used to offset loop in the past without any problems. I thought I would mention it because they are both your plugins. I'll send you what you need as soon as I can reproduce the problem in VT2.
0
"Don't be afraid of working hard. There are No shortcuts to mastering something."

Robh Ruppel

Builder54 
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby Builder54 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:15 pm

thomthom wrote:Did you in this case really mean the SketchUp BugSplat dialog? Not the Vertex Tools error dialog?


I can't be sure. I do remember Sketchup shutting down suddenly and giving me a Bug Splat recently, but I don't remember how I handled it.
0
"Don't be afraid of working hard. There are No shortcuts to mastering something."

Robh Ruppel

Builder54 
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby thomthom » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:08 pm

Builder54 wrote:On a side note, I know that Quad Face Tools was recently updated. I was attempting to use the offset loop option but kept getting the same error message that VT2 is giving me.

Can you post back what that error message was?
0
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
User avatar
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby Builder54 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:20 pm

thomthom wrote:Can you post back what that error message was?


I was referring to the Error Report Box. I posted the gif in Quadface Tools thread. Sorry I don't know how to reference the post.
0
"Don't be afraid of working hard. There are No shortcuts to mastering something."

Robh Ruppel

Builder54 
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby Builder54 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:37 pm

Feature request

I would love to be able to achieve smooth curves


VT2 Curves.gif



A work around I'm using is Shape Bender by Chris Fulmer

SketchUp_pZpSihwqP6.png
0
"Don't be afraid of working hard. There are No shortcuts to mastering something."

Robh Ruppel

Builder54 
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby thomthom » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:43 pm

Are you looking for something other than what Shape Bender offers?
0
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
User avatar
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby Builder54 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:40 pm

thomthom wrote:Are you looking for something other than what Shape Bender offers?


Since Vertex Tools already has multi-plane rotation capabilities, I was asking if options could be added that would allow for the bending of a given series of vertices and faces into a smooth arc form. As you noted it is not essential since there already exists plugins such as Shape Bender. When I wrote the post, I was experimenting with "primitives", ie box, spheres, cylnders etc. So being able to "pull/stretch" a cylinder out to a point in an arc form from within Vertex Tools would I think be very helpful.


Edit
I also have True Bend which works really well. I'm probably just spoiled :|
1
"Don't be afraid of working hard. There are No shortcuts to mastering something."

Robh Ruppel

Builder54 
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby Einstein » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:33 pm

Hello Thom Thom,
Sorry I am responding back to your post so late, but lately I was the one to have rather hard (busy) time ;)

You asked me to specify exactly what I meant by that request:

"bevel vertices with more segments (like Fredo Corner, but Fredo Corner doesn't work with flat faces)"

My suggestion was to enable not only bevelling vertices but also rounding them. So let's say bevelling means that you add one edge at a vertex between two existing edges and rounding means that you add more edges and create an arc between them. Like in Blender - you bevel a vertex and use mouse scroll to add more segments. This is the feature I pursue. There are several corner-rounding tools for SketchUp but none of them allows manipulating vertices directly, like your plugin does. That's why I believe my suggestion makes sense ;)
0

Einstein 
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby thomthom » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:19 am

Einstein wrote:My suggestion was to enable not only bevelling vertices but also rounding them. So let's say bevelling means that you add one edge at a vertex between two existing edges and rounding means that you add more edges and create an arc between them. Like in Blender - you bevel a vertex and use mouse scroll to add more segments. This is the feature I pursue. There are several corner-rounding tools for SketchUp but none of them allows manipulating vertices directly, like your plugin does. That's why I believe my suggestion makes sense ;)


Gotcha. Yea, I have it on my list of ideas already. Rounding, or profiled, bevels are however much more complicated. I need to do more research for that.
1
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
User avatar
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby Einstein » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:15 am

I've got one more feature suggestion.
Merge close vertices "through groups", so if many groups/ components are selected, instead of raw geometry, vertice merge can also be performed. Currently it seems that we can only work on raw geometry. Merging vertices is sometimes a crucial fixing/ optimization algorithm and it's good if it can process many objects at once.

I recently worked with a model - bunch of people, hundreds of thousands of faces altogether and it got imported so bad that every single face was separate, can you imagine that... I mean, I know you can. I worked around by exploding all the groups, merging the vertices and regrouping with "Loose to groups" plugin, but I would rather not repeat that in SketchUp anymore...
0

Einstein 
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby thomthom » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:07 pm

Einstein wrote:I've got one more feature suggestion.
Merge close vertices "through groups", so if many groups/ components are selected, instead of raw geometry, vertice merge can also be performed. Currently it seems that we can only work on raw geometry. Merging vertices is sometimes a crucial fixing/ optimization algorithm and it's good if it can process many objects at once.

I recently worked with a model - bunch of people, hundreds of thousands of faces altogether and it got imported so bad that every single face was separate, can you imagine that... I mean, I know you can. I worked around by exploding all the groups, merging the vertices and regrouping with "Loose to groups" plugin, but I would rather not repeat that in SketchUp anymore...


hmm... main challenge here is that VT doesn't have any way to select anything other than vertices... Will have to think about this one.
1
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
User avatar
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby Fletch » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:55 pm

Hi ThomThom, your website says to post here, so... please forgive me if this is not the right place.

I purchased VT in Jan 2020.

The version I had downloaded in Jan 2020 throws an error when I try to install.

Must I now buy a whole new version just so that it will work in SU2021? Or do you have a version I can continue to use even in SU2021?
0

Fletch 
Twilight Render
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby Einstein » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:07 pm

Hi,
I'd like to say something more about vertex bevel here (I hope you don't have enough of me yet :P ).
I was able to reproduce the bug I once had when bevelling vertices of a face and I noticed two undesired things happening:
1) After selecting all verts of the Y letter and bevelling them a little the face gets removed, leaving only the edges. That I find a bug.
2) Bevel widths are uneven and these bevel are unsymmetrical. I guess that's because bevel values here are not absolute but relative to the length of bevelled edges. This surely makes sense, but it would also be very nice having another option for symmetrical bevels with absolute offset. Perhaps this could be performed by simply adding a unit following a typed value, just like in native SketchUp. For example, type "0.1m" instead of "0.1" in the VDB to get the absolute value.
0

Einstein 
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby Einstein » Wed May 05, 2021 11:27 am

Version 2.0.5 - again: what is new?
0

Einstein 
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby jo-ke » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:44 am

I have updated SU2021 to 21.1.299 64 bits and vertextools disappeared.

I tried to reinstall, but it doesn't show it.

It is shown in extension manager but not shown in Menubar to select

What can I do?
0
User avatar
jo-ke 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby Dave R » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:56 pm

I see it in the latest release of 2021 on my machine.

Is it shown as Enabled in the Extension Manager?
0
Etaoin Shrdlu


%

(THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

M30

%
User avatar
Dave R 
Global Moderator
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby jo-ke » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:44 pm

yes, it is
0
User avatar
jo-ke 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

Re: [Plugin][$] Vertex Tools

Postby Dave R » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:53 pm

Latest version of both TT_Lib2 and Vertex Tools installed?
0
Etaoin Shrdlu


%

(THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

M30

%
User avatar
Dave R 
Global Moderator
 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago



Ad Machine 
Robot
 

Previous


 

Return to Plugins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: keepgoingboi and 23 guests