[Plugin] ProLine (RC)

[Plugin] ProLine (RC)

Postby dezmo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:19 pm

Motto: I hope you will enjoy using it half as much as I enjoyed creating it!

Release Candidate version available in Pluginstore!

00animation-protractor.gif


There is a better way with ProLine:
00proline_benefit1.gif


intro.gif

Description = 'The LINE tool combined with Protractor & more
Version = "RC-2019_0105_1209"
Creator = "Dezmo (dezmo at freemail dot hu)" (Coffe)
Copyright = "2018-2019, Dezmo"


Usage:
Run from: Menu>Draw>"ProLine © by Dezmo" or use Toolbar: "ProLine © by Dezmo"
Please open the Menu>Window>Instructor to see more instructions and how the modifier keys work!
(or check the 2nd post below)

The idea:
In the recent versions of SU we do have a "Rotated Rectangle" tool, so called protractor assisted rectangle creation. In the other hand reading the forums some people are asking to snap the line not only to length, but to angle as well...
Why should'nt we have a "Line" tool with protractor assistance?
This is a reason I'm created a tool: Protractor Line. The name is shortened as "ProLine", so it is also representing some more, hopefully useful, functions to create a line in SketchUp in advanced way.
I'm not a programmer or 3D designer, I just like to discover Ruby & SketchUp.

Features:
Draw edges or Line entities like in a native Line Tool, but Draw edges / curves / clines / cpoints entities with special protractor and inference assistance!
•~ Can be act similar as an original Line tool. (My intention is to completely replace it.)
•~ Instructor window like in other native tool.
•+ Snap to angle, defined in Model info
•+ Snap to angle, defined in ProLine Settings
•+ Can create/remove guide line "on the fly" for better interfering e.g. :
.....◦Angle snapping
.....◦Face normal -:- centroid
.....◦Arc/Circle/Polygon -normal -:- center
.....◦Arc/Circle/Polygon - real tangent
•+ The protractor automatically placed and easy to adjust
•+ The protractor can be resized
•~ Can snap to length, defined in Model info
•+ Can force length snapping, overriding some interfering (be careful with this)
•~ Create edges
•+ Brake edge if intersecting can be switched off
•+ Crate faces can be switched off
•+ Start over when create faces can be switched off
•+ Crate curve (polyline)
•+ Create point to point guide line
•+ Create infinity guide line
•+ Create guide point only or guide point together with above mentioned line types.
•+ Show extended information in a tooltip (can be disabled)
•+ Show angle to last line (can be disabled)
•+ Show angle to protractor x-axis (can be disabled)
•- No "drag and drop" line creation


The tool is in Release Candidate stage. However I did my best to give it out without serious errors, an unexpected problems may occur... download and use it on your own risk.
Tested: SketchUp pro 2014 on windows 7, SketchUp pro 2015&2018, SketchUp make 2017 on windows 10.
It was created and only tested in a windows environment and may not (properly) function on a MAC.

Know issues:
-The keyboard shortcuts defined in Proline can be conflict of your predefined keyboard shortcuts...
Sorry, I'll try to find a solution in a next release...

This tool currently only available in PluginStore:
Dezmo ProLine

How to open hepl file:
how to get help.gif

OR:
Download help folder (Download, unpack and open help.html)
1
Last edited by dezmo on Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:19 am, edited 12 times in total.
Man can do everything. Only a matter of time and money.

dezmo 
 

Re: [Plugin] ProLine (RC)

Postby dezmo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:19 pm

ProLine Tool

Draw edges or Line entities like in a native Line Tool butDraw edges / curves / clines / cpoints entities with special protractor and inference assistance!

Tool Operation

(LMB = Left Mouse Button, RMB = Right Mouse Button)
•Click at starting point of line.
•(optional) hold Ctrl (or Ctrl+Alt or Ctrl+LMB) and move cursor to set protractor direction. Release
Ctrl to set current position.
•(optional) click & hold LMB at start point, then Move cursor over the "spokes" to set Angle lock
direction then release LMB
•(optional) hit Alt key to toggle Angle snap/lock method's /loop switching/:
...Snap to angle('s) & lock to protractor plane
...No angle snap, but lock to protractor plane
...No angle snap or lock
•Move cursor.
•...click at ending point of line...
•...or type the desired length value and hit Return key...
•...or just hit Return key to use last used length value (if any).
•(optional) Move cursor.
•(optional) Click to create connected line.
•(optional) Repeat step above to create connected lines, or return to starting point of first line to
create a face.
(Drag and drop method to create line does NOT work here!)

Modifier Keys
•TAB = Settings dialog (Toolbar)
•Shift = Lock line to the current inference direction
•Arrow keys = Lock line to specific inference direction (Up=Blue, Left=Green, Right=Red,
Down=Parallel/Perpendicular to the previous line)
•Ctrl = Orient the Protractor 2D (around Protractor Z axis)
•Ctrl + Alt = Orient the Protractor 2D (around Protractor X axis)
•Ctrl + LMB = Orient the Protractor 3D (around Protractor origin)
•Ctrl + "F" = Create Guide line (Face normal -:- centroid )
•Ctrl + "R" = Create Guide line (Arc/Circle/Polygon -normal -:- center )
•Ctrl + "T" = Create Guide line (Arc/Circle/Polygon - real tangent )
•Alt = Toggle Angle snap/lock method
•Home = Toggle Protractor size
•End = Toggle extra Angle snap
•PgUP/PgDown (or RMB double click) = Toggle line type to draw
•"G" = Toggle guide points to draw
•LMB click on Protractor origin = Switch off Angle snap
•LMB click on Protractor origin than hold LMB while move cursor and hover over Protractor's spokes =
Set Angle lock direction (Create Guide line)
(LMB = Left Mouse Button, RMB = Right Mouse Button)



animation-proLine.gif


prol_02_menu.gif


prol_20_tetrahedron.gif
2
Last edited by dezmo on Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Man can do everything. Only a matter of time and money.

dezmo 
 

Re: [Plugin] ProLine (Beta)

Postby Frederik » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:52 pm

Looks great... :thumb:
I'll definitely need to give this one a go...
Thanks!
0
Cheers
Kim Frederik
User avatar
Frederik 
Thea Render Support
Thea Render Support
 

Re: [Plugin] ProLine (Beta)

Postby juju » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:42 pm

This looks interesting, thx!

I guess you know of the typo now?

proline.JPG


length
0
Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.
User avatar
juju 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

Re: [Plugin] ProLine (Beta)

Postby dezmo » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:47 am

juju wrote:I guess you know of the typo now?
length


I did not even find it when I checked 100 times ... Thanks!
I hope, this will be the "biggest" problem. ;-)
0
Man can do everything. Only a matter of time and money.

dezmo 
 

Re: [Plugin] ProLine (Beta)

Postby dezmo » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:49 am

Frederik wrote:Looks great... :thumb:
I'll definitely need to give this one a go...
Thanks!

Hope you will find it useful! Please report any problem!
0
Man can do everything. Only a matter of time and money.

dezmo 
 

Re: [Plugin] ProLine (Beta)

Postby pilou » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:30 am

Very cool for lovers of precision! :fro:
Seems a new "indispensable"! :enlight:

PS Have you a special file for translation ?
I can make the French one! ;)
0
Frenchy Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
Speedy Galerie
User avatar
pilou 
Top SketchUcator
 

Re: [Plugin] ProLine (Beta)

Postby dezmo » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:13 am

Thanks for the Nice worlds!

pilou wrote:PS Have you a special file for translation ?
I can make the French one! ;)

There are no special file for translation, but better to wait at least until RC stage... some changes may will come. The "Instructor" file (index_1.html) is almost done, but the help file (help.html) will come later...
0
Man can do everything. Only a matter of time and money.

dezmo 
 

Re: [Plugin] ProLine (RC)

Postby dezmo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:18 pm

This tool now available in PluginStore:
Dezmo ProLine!

The 1st and 2nd post have been updated!

Enjoy! :knockout:
1
Man can do everything. Only a matter of time and money.

dezmo 
 

Re: [Plugin] ProLine (RC)

Postby CadFather » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:39 pm

Thank you Dezmo, really great plugin!
0
Quarr-IT - SketchUp Training from the Master.. http://quarr-it.com/
User avatar
CadFather 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [Plugin] ProLine (RC)

Postby Ahmed0007 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:31 am

Thank you for plugin
how i can snap to the face center?
0

Ahmed0007 
 

Re: [Plugin] ProLine (RC)

Postby dezmo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:40 am

Ahmed0007 wrote:Thank you for plugin
how i can snap to the face center?


Hi Ahmed0007,

You can not really snap to it but you can get a guide line for intersecting or interfering.
As described in the chapter: "16 How to:Get special inference lines" in the help:

While mowing your mouse over the faces, lines or vertices's you will see a small:
[Braun or yellow triangle with F]=[the Centroid of face]
The color is Yellow if the face have an inner loop, otherwise Braun
....
Just Hit CTRL button followed by F/R to get a normal of face/circle ...

face normal.gif

Than you can use this guide line intersecting or interfering.


Just in case: I heve been added a link of help content to the first post. This is exactly same as a build in help. Please download and read it if you have not done yet... ;)
1
Man can do everything. Only a matter of time and money.

dezmo 
 

Re: [Plugin] ProLine (RC)

Postby rv1974 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:55 am

Dezmo, thanks for sharing!
Do you have plans to add most important ones:
1. midpoint between 2 points
2. bisector between 2 edges
?
Edit: I looked at your first 2 gif animations. Well both ways take roughly the same amount of time to comlete the task. So why bother and memorize tons of new shortcuts?
0

rv1974 
 

Re: [Plugin] ProLine (RC)

Postby dezmo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:49 pm

rv1974 wrote:Dezmo, thanks for sharing!
Do you have plans to add most important ones:
1. midpoint between 2 points
2. bisector between 2 edges
?


Hi rv1974,

Yeah, I have some more ideas to implement, but can't promise any deadline... Randomly I can find time, but I can't feel any obligation to do it. Besides sometime I have to learn before I can do what I imagined... it takes time. :oops:

I'll definitely take your suggestion into consideration, however I have to think how to implement :
1. I can not hover on 2 points simultaneously, so I need an other method to do it. :?: (I have some idea, but have to rethink more... ;) )
2. Angle bisector guide line could be relatively easy to do... :D
0
Man can do everything. Only a matter of time and money.

dezmo 
 

Re: [Plugin] ProLine (RC)

Postby dezmo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:08 pm

rv1974 wrote:Edit: I looked at your first 2 gif animations. Well both ways take roughly the same amount of time to comlete the task. So why bother and memorize tons of new shortcuts?


Wich one You looked? In the help file or in my posts?

Have you been tried or just looked?
Did you read the help file?
Actually you are not obligated to memorize...
Lot's of sorcut can be done by the Settings an other you get a letter on screen (F, R, T) to remember more easy...
0
Man can do everything. Only a matter of time and money.

dezmo 
 

Re: [Plugin] ProLine (RC)

Postby rv1974 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:38 pm

First 2 gifs in this thread. Ironically Proline takes longer.
Frankly all is needed is a standard no-brainer line tool with one simple addition of degree '<' input.
Example:
Start line tool->Make first click ->Hoover over existing edge-> Enter say <30 (to get 30 degr direction)->
enter distance->Enter
Thats it. Simply replicating Autocad input + tracking.
Brevity is the soul of wit.
BTW Some of Proline shortcuts conflict with existing (of mine) ones.
0

rv1974 
 

Re: [Plugin] ProLine (RC)

Postby dezmo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:21 pm

rv1974 wrote:First 2 gifs in this thread. Ironically Proline takes longer.
Frankly all is needed is a standard no-brainer line tool with one simple addition of degree '<' input.
Example:
Start line tool->Make first click ->Hoover over existing edge-> Enter say <30 (to get 30 degr direction)->
enter distance->Enter
Thats it. Simply replicating Autocad input + tracking.
Brevity is the soul of wit.
BTW Some of Proline shortcuts conflict with existing (of mine) ones.


It is in my to-do list: able to enter length;angle
Curently ProLine can not evaulate onto which plain the 30 degrees line you want to put. Unfortonately AI has not been implemented yet here.
So until I find out evaoulation of the "best plain to draw" you have to use your brain and a protractor. Or simply use Autocad in 2D.

BTW: you did not answered to my questions...

EDIT:
I beleve your "Simply replicating Autocad input + tracking." works only if you draw the line in 2D in Autocad. Don't you think
?
0
Last edited by dezmo on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Man can do everything. Only a matter of time and money.

dezmo 
 

Re: [Plugin] ProLine (RC)

Postby pbacot » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:05 pm

Looks Great! Thank you!
0
MacOSX (El Capitan) ShetchUp Pro v16 Layout Twilight Pro v2 M2 Kerkythea PowerCADD
User avatar
pbacot 
Top SketchUcator
 

Re: [Plugin] ProLine (RC)

Postby dezmo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:05 pm

rv1974 wrote:.
BTW Some of Proline shortcuts conflict with existing (of mine) ones.


Can you please explain more which ones are conflicting and how?
They are breaking the function of Proline or breaking the function of your associated function?
Thanks!
0
Man can do everything. Only a matter of time and money.

dezmo 
 

Re: [Plugin] ProLine (RC)

Postby dezmo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:14 pm

pbacot wrote:Looks Great! Thank you!


Hi pbacot,

I'm happy if you like it... :)

I see you are from MAC. Since I do not have a chance to test on it, I'm curious how it is looks like on MAC, especially:
- the icons and the cursor pictures. Can you please post a screenshot!
- Are the sorcuts (Ctrl + "T" ; Ctrl + "F" ..ect.) working as described? Don't you get some problems or conflicts?

Thanks a lot in advance!
0
Man can do everything. Only a matter of time and money.

dezmo 
 

Re: [Plugin] ProLine (RC)

Postby rv1974 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:41 pm

dezmo wrote:
rv1974 wrote:.
BTW Some of Proline shortcuts conflict with existing (of mine) ones.


Can you please explain more which ones are conflicting and how?
They are breaking the function of Proline or breaking the function of your associated function?
Thanks!

For example, I use the End key for another (s4u divide) command. it just switches to s4u divide when hit. There were other collisions, I can't report exactly because I uninstalled
0

rv1974 
 

Re: [Plugin] ProLine (RC)

Postby Ahmed0007 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:41 pm

dezmo wrote:
Ahmed0007 wrote:Thank you for plugin
how i can snap to the face center?


Hi Ahmed0007,

You can not really snap to it but you can get a guide line for intersecting or interfering.
As described in the chapter: "16 How to:Get special inference lines" in the help:

While mowing your mouse over the faces, lines or vertices's you will see a small:
[Braun or yellow triangle with F]=[the Centroid of face]
The color is Yellow if the face have an inner loop, otherwise Braun
....
Just Hit CTRL button followed by F/R to get a normal of face/circle ...

face normal.gif

Than you can use this guide line intersecting or interfering.


Just in case: I heve been added a link of help content to the first post. This is exactly same as a build in help. Please download and read it if you have not done yet... ;)


Thank you for you quick respond
0

Ahmed0007 
 

Re: [Plugin] ProLine (RC)

Postby dezmo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:58 pm

rv1974 wrote:
dezmo wrote:
rv1974 wrote:.
BTW Some of Proline shortcuts conflict with existing (of mine) ones.


Can you please explain more which ones are conflicting and how?
They are breaking the function of Proline or breaking the function of your associated function?
Thanks!

For example, I use the End key for another (s4u divide) command. it just switches to s4u divide when hit. There were other collisions, I can't report exactly because I uninstalled


Ok. Thanks. I'll try to find a better way to avoid such a conflict.
0
Man can do everything. Only a matter of time and money.

dezmo 
 

Re: [Plugin] ProLine (RC)

Postby Oxer » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:00 pm

Hi,
I'm a Mac user and there is a problem with the keys, the Tab key doesn't work, if I hit TAB key the Settings Toolbar doesn't appear but if I move the mouse with TAB key pressed I can draw a line continuously (see the above gif). :o

prueba.gif
0
"The result is the end what is important is the process" by Oxer
http://www.oxervision.blogspot.com/
User avatar
Oxer 
 

Re: [Plugin] ProLine (RC)

Postby dezmo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:20 am

Oxer wrote:Hi,
I'm a Mac user and there is a problem with the keys, the Tab key doesn't work, if I hit TAB key the Settings Toolbar doesn't appear but if I move the mouse with TAB key pressed I can draw a line continuously (see the above gif). :o



Hi Oxer,

Thanks alot for feedback! And so sorry about the issue :(
I think you have a problem most of the keyboard shortcuts...on Mac.

I had no chance to test on that sytem. On the mac the keyboard codes are different and differently handled.
Unfortunately I heve been used the wrong documentation and/or wrongly coded the Mac 'part'.
A good news is that most probably a have the right docu now.
I'm on the way to implement it and there is a very good chance if the keyboard will work properly on MAC too.
But beside that there will be a context menu (mouse right click) to handle a most important task, like open the settings and insert guide lines.
There will be some more special inference line too. But it will take some days (or weeks..)

Stay tuned...
0
Man can do everything. Only a matter of time and money.

dezmo 
 

Re: [Plugin] ProLine (RC)

Postby Oxer » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:37 pm

Thanks for the reply, when you publish the update I'll test it and I'll inform you about issues on Mac.
0
"The result is the end what is important is the process" by Oxer
http://www.oxervision.blogspot.com/
User avatar
Oxer 
 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago



Ad Machine 
Robot
 



 

Return to Plugins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 5400engineering, L4rissa and 11 guests

Visit our sponsors: