[Plugin] [CityGen] - Street Generator [WIP] (0.5.2a)

Moderator: Jim

Re: [Plugin] [CityGen] - Street Generator [WIP] (0.5.2a)

Postby Citelum » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:09 am

The CityGen plugins that you guys were working on are really great and I'm hoping that this will become a real city builder. We need one. Thanks for the work you have already done.

I see the last posts for this plugin appear to be around early 2010. Are you still working on this project?
I have been trying to get the plugin(s) to work and so far have managed to get the street_gen to work.
I can't seem to get bldg_gen going but I wondering if there should be an associated folder "bldg_gen" to go with bldg_gen.rb in the Modules folder.

ThomThom, you give a skp file CityBuilder_stree2.skp as a sample to test and the road centre lines are coloured which I presume is for the road categories. Where, how or what program generated this file? ie how are these lines coloured in and categorised to produce the variable road widths that your sample does?

Is there a link that you can share that will give some guide to installing and using CityGen and its plugings?

Sorry that I have so many questions but I would really love to get as much of this working as possible. I have already found that street_gen has saved me loads of time in creating streets from a centre-line CAD drawing.
Thanks
Garth

Citelum 

Postby Citelum » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:42 pm

These posts are so old I don't know if anyone will pick up on this again, but I'm trying to breathe some new life into this project as I feel it's too good not to be continued.
I sent a message to ThomThom on the status of this project and have had a reply from him

"unfortunately none of the ones that worked on this in the beginning appear to have time
any more. And no one have wanted to pick it up.

However, it's been somewhat hidden away on Google Code - ...... So I just migrated it to GitHub: https://github.com/thomthom/citygen

Maybe it can get better exposure there."

Hopefully with this move to github it will get more exposure and someone completing and extending the code, and becoming a valuable tool in SketchUp.

Citelum 

Postby KickMe » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:14 pm

Thanks ThomThom for this awesome tool.

I managed to make it work in Sketchup 2018.

* Download Citelum's GitHub archive (thanks for uploading it!)
* Unzip it in your Plugins folder (for me C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2018\SketchUp\Plugins)
* Edit Plugins\citygen\modules\bldg_gen.rb, add a # before : require 'offset'

Cheers!

KickMe 

Postby danhuh » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:50 pm

Hi I hope this thread isn't totally dead, even though the plugin is no longer supported. I'm trying to get the Street Generator to work and can't get any luck installing. I've been able to get the City Gen extension to appear in the menubar but there's no Street Generator tools available.

In my Plugins folder, I've placed the "city_gen.rb" along with the folder named "citygen". In this "citygen" folder, I've added the file "street_gen.rb" and the folder "street_gen" to the Modules folder. As far as I can tell, this is the extent of the install.

Some things I'm unclear on... where does the file "city_gen_loader.rb" go? And do the folder names have to match the .rb names exactly (my .rb file is "city_gen.rb" whereas my corresponding folder is just called "citygen", without an underscore).

I do get an error message from Rubyscript but it's really long so I can repost it if anyone cares to look. This is the last thing I need to sort out on this project, so I'm dying to figure this out! Thanks in advance.

danhuh 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Previous

Return to City Generator