Google Earth web link script

Google Earth web link script

Postby twharvey » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:04 pm

Hi all,

I'm working on a modeling project for dude ranch in Montana. The idea came up that it would be cool to have a link on the ranch web site that would open google earth with the model in it. I would imagine that there could be a lot of interest in this kind of facility.

Does anybody know of a script that would do this?

Thanks,
Tom
Tom

twharvey 

Re: Google Earth web link script

Postby Jim » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:21 pm

Hi Tom,

I think all you need to do is export the model as a .kmz from SketchUp, and put it on the web page.

Google's acquisition of SketchUp had everything to do with getting content for Google Earth, and getting it inexpensively and quickly. Their plan appears to have worked. I find both Google Earth and Google SketchUp to be compelling programs - extremely useful and entertaining.
Hi

Jim 
Global Moderator

Postby Gaieus » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:58 pm

Yes, Tom, that's all you have to do; save the kmz file (or download it from the 3D WareHouse if you uploaded it there) and you can upload it on any webserver and link to it from any webpage.

Also, you can directly link to the WareHouse page or put it into an iFrame (there is a link to a script on the warehouse page the website owner just needs to copy and paste into his website).
Gaieus 

Postby twharvey » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:47 pm

Thanks Gaius & Jim,

I hope your holidays were pleasant.

The links and scripts you mentioned, I think (I'm just setting up a new web site to use as a test pad), take the user to the image in 3DWH. What I have in mind is some way to open GoogleEarth with the model imbeded in it. This would not be a permanent inclusion of the model in GE, but a temporary view of that model only.

Is this right?

If this is possible, I whould think it has some considerable commercial attractivness.

Regards,
Tom
Tom

twharvey 

Postby Gaieus » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:31 pm

Yes Tom, indeed it's possible (after all that's what they do in the warehouse; link the KMZ file to the link).
Gaieus 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Google Earth