Google Earth 6 released

Google Earth 6 released

Postby Rich O Brien » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:38 pm

Hi,

GE 6 is out for those who are interested. It now support 3D trees...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6lZzY4w ... r_embedded

What's New in Version 6

With Google Earth 6, you can explore the streets in 3D like never before. Fly from outer space down to the streets with the new Street View and easily navigate your way around. Switch to ground-level view to see the same location in 3D.

Now you can see 3D trees in locations all over the world. We have also made it easier for you to know when historical imagery is available in the location you are viewing.
Last edited by Rich O Brien on Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Unstickied
There's a frontroom and a backroom....reverse faces
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Re: Google Earth 6 released

Postby thomthom » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:55 pm

I'm not seeing the trees. They don't even come up as an option under the 3d building category...
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Rich O Brien » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:06 pm

see 3D trees in locations all over the world

i presume not all locations but only locations all over the world...don't you just love bullshit bingo :thumb:
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby HFM » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:15 pm

Well, I can see why there is no progress in Sketchup, Google doesn't even know what 3D is :D

Those trees are just 2D face-me's :)

Looks cool though...

*never mind didn't look good enough

Hope there is a way to get them into sketchup ^^
Last edited by HFM on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HFM 

Postby d12dozr » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:18 pm

Exactly right Rich...
we already have more than 80 million trees in places such as Athens, Berlin, Chicago, New York City, San Francisco and Tokyo.

full details here:
http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2010 ... -next.html
3D Printing with SketchUp Book
http://goo.gl/f7ooYh

d12dozr 
Top SketchUcator

Postby d12dozr » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:44 am

3D Printing with SketchUp Book
http://goo.gl/f7ooYh

d12dozr 
Top SketchUcator

Postby jaxcoffee » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:01 am

AH! What about street view changes and historical imagery? Everyones's talking about trees, I think the other features are very cool indeed.

jaxcoffee 

Postby Rich O Brien » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:03 am

We have also made it easier for you to know when historical imagery is available in the location you are viewing.

I did?
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby Gaieus » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:27 am

Cool, thanks Rich for the heads-up!

Ground level walkthrough in 33D has been available for a while (accessible from the Maps API) but it's cool to see it in GE itself.

Now I wonder what makes 3D trees available in different locations. Is it solely a Google scan+automatic population or do they allow individuals to add trees as well (and if so, how)?

Not as if I really wanted to populate forests but sometimes it can be important for an alley for instance. Or other city parks.
Gaieus 

Postby thomthom » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:31 am

TreeMaker? :D
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Gaieus » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:41 pm

Yeah. I also wondered where I can add those trees and if I can also get them for myself but no. It seems to be only Google applying them - now it will take forever until they get to Trondheim I guess so you will get stuck like with your GE imagery.
:lol:
Gaieus 

Postby thomthom » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:55 pm

Hah! yea - I'm not hoping for trees any time soon. So point until they remove that cloud over Trondheim.

But regarding GE6 - I can't see trees anywhere. I saw the video where the should be a Tree layer you can toggle on/off under the Building category - but even that is not present to me.
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Gaieus » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:04 pm

Wait till the buildings load properly (first). I guess it's programmed this way on purpose.
No bad trees actually (too bad however that the Propylaea is floating in Athens)
Gaieus 

Postby solo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:06 pm

It's still a long way off from a river view down the Amazon I'm afraid.
http://www.solos-art.com

I'm better with polys than words
solo 
Global Moderator

Postby Rich O Brien » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:09 pm

Player Hater ;)
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby Alan Fraser » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:59 pm

Hi all, the wanderer returns.
It's a cool development, but nothing particularly new. As for the trees, I had the same problem on my Netbook, but not on my Desktop. It looks like you have to set the language to US English in order to get the 3D trees option. That's Tools> Options> General.
Actually, some of those trees in SF are pretty good...and are actually 3D, not just billboards. Try going to Golden Gate Park...or the Victorians, as featured in the Google promo vid.
I actually hacked the program to see what was what. It looks like all the vegetation is handled by a couple of multi-image dds files; one for entire bilboarded trees for distance LOD and another containing tree components for closer up. In fact, I think the entire thing is handled by direct draw calls; a 3D grabber grabs no geometry at all...just a pancake-flat mess and several thousand image files.
I like the way it segues from ground view (geometry) to street view...almost seamlessly.
FormFonts
Were you required to walk 500 miles? Were you advised to walk 500 more?
You could be entitled to compensation. Call the Pro Claimers now!
Alan Fraser 
Top SketchUcator

Postby mozzie » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:39 am

But not Pro.
I just ante'd up the exorbitant annual re-sign (I use it extensively for "commercial purposes"), and 5.2 is the most current version.

mozzie 

Postby CPhillips » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:31 am

The new street view is actually much cooler that at first it appears. You can use the arrows WSAD and the mouse wheel to fly/drive around. It is much more than the street view in Google Maps. Which is limited to little bubbles of views along a street.

After looking at it for a while they are actually creating elements of a 3d scene from multiple camera views. So if you are going down a street with buildings or trees it is mapping the images on 3d polygons in those positions. It works really well and I imagine it will only get better.

Very cool!

CPhillips 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby thomthom » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:53 am

Alan Fraser wrote:As for the trees, I had the same problem on my Netbook, but not on my Desktop. It looks like you have to set the language to US English in order to get the 3D trees option. That's Tools> Options> General.

What? One has to speak US English to see the trees...? That makes no sense at all... :? I smell a conspiracy!
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Gaieus » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:21 pm

Hm. I did not notice it (I use GE in English anyway).

But I also noticed that some things are only available in the English version. Like the Rome Reborn project in the Gallery. This really sucks. I don't know who that a**hole is that decide at Google but how come they cannot imagine that non-English speakers can indeed speak English sometimes.

Now with 3D Trees, I don't know what makes an English and a non-English speaker different.
Gaieus 

Postby chrisjk » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:37 pm

English Oak, Japanese maple, etc.... :)
Chris

chrisjk 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Aerilius » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:03 pm

thomthom wrote:TreeMaker?

A Googler asked me about a tip for tree modeling...

Another tool would be viewtopic.php?f=15&t=30737&p=286944#p286944 (Shhhh!)

As far as I know, no modeler has found a trick to use the face-me feature. It seems to be reserved for the tree layer and not for custom trees. I still wonder how they determine the correct type of vegetation. Especially in mountainous regions, vegetation changes depending on altitude.

Aerilius 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby mitcorb » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:15 pm

A bit OT, but:
I work on three separate computers. Each has the last Google Earth 5.n.nn... free version. When I go to Help/ Check for Updates Online I get "There are no new updates."
Evidently v6 is so special, they don't want everybody to know about it.
Or, is v6 Pro only?
I take the slow, deliberate approach in my aimless wandering.
mitcorb 
Top SketchUcator

Postby Gaieus » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:22 pm

mitcorb wrote:Or, is v6 Pro only?

No, I have v.6 free.

Sometimes they only "force" (or let go) updates somewhat later than the first release date. With some "products" they make a soft launch only in certain countries (first) or with certain language settings.
Gaieus 

Postby mitcorb » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:13 pm

You know, I probably would have had to wait a week for any kind of response on my comment- if a response ever came, if I had posted in the GE forums.
Thanks, Gaieus.
I take the slow, deliberate approach in my aimless wandering.
mitcorb 
Top SketchUcator

Postby Alan Fraser » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:11 pm

There's no great secret to the trees. Beyond about 100 metres, the trees are rendered as simple billboards. The billboards for all the trees of a particular region are held on a single 1024x1024 dds file...effectively a transparent png. I've flattened one from Golden Gate Park and resampled it down to uselessness; so as not to be broadcasting Google's assets.
There's another 1024x512 image holding tree parts; because close up, the LOD switches to fully 3D trunks which utilise these separate bits. The palms tend to be modelled 'normally' ie. the leaves are static. Whereas the deciduous trees are basically a trunk and a few branches surrounded by a swarm of Face Me leaf clumps.
I've attached a skp of my own to give the general idea.
FormFonts
Alan Fraser 
Top SketchUcator

Postby Gaieus » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:15 pm

You could really have left those trees intact for us, Alan.
:)
Gaieus 

Postby Alan Fraser » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:41 pm

Gai, you can grab whatever you like...just not spread it around without Google's permission. ;)
Just download the free program 3D Ripper DX to rip stuff out of GE or DirectX games. You'll get all the textures as direct draw files...but free XnView will read them and convert them to pngs.
Be warned, however, that a single grab from GE can generate about 3000 image files...so don't be facing towards downtown SF when you do it. :D
FormFonts
Alan Fraser 
Top SketchUcator

Postby Gaieus » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:23 am

Thanks, Alan. Maybe I will indeed give it a shot!
:)
Gaieus 

Postby SketchGuy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:11 pm

Typically Google is populating the most populated / popular areas before they worry about the us of us. :D I'm not grumpy--I remember when my location on the make was a 2-D view of generic streets. That was a while back, though. The historical sites do excite me. Good stuff.

SketchGuy 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Next

Return to Google Earth