Work in progress

To access this forum when logged in, please, sign up to the Woodworking User Group in your User Control Panel.

Work in progress

Postby davidheim1 » Fri May 29, 2020 4:09 pm

Xa Zian cabinet copy.png
Saw a contemporary 3-door cabinet by the designer Robert Kuo on the 1stdibs.com web site. The cabinet casework is pretty ordinary. But the doors are another matter. They're covered in hammered copper, with curves flowing from one door to another. For the model, I've broken down the copper work into a collection of components, which I shape with one of Fredo6's lofting plugins. I grabbed the copper texture from the Internet.
Enjoy.
dh

davidheim1 

Re: Work in progress

Postby HornOxx » Fri May 29, 2020 8:00 pm

a great project and a great start David :thumb: an interesting mosaic or somehow material patchwork - please, could you describe more precisely what you meant or did by "...which I shape with one of Fredo6's lofting plugins" ?
never trust a skinny cook
HornOxx 

Postby davidheim1 » Fri May 29, 2020 8:49 pm

Xa Zian cabinet 2 copy.png
The curved lines in the model follow the high parts of the hammered copper. I use the Select tool to highlight a section (see the red shape) and make it a component. Then I move the shape away from the model, Push/Pull it to 1/2 in. thick, add curves to transition from high spot to low spot, and erase the unwanted lines. You can see the resulting shape above the model at the left. The lofting plugin is called Skinning of Shapes; I just highlight all the edges and click a couple of times to generate the curved face. Then I jockey the curved face into position in the model. Lather rinse repeat.
Turns out to be much easier than I thought it would be. When I'm done with the individual sections, I'll probably explode everything for one of the doors (there are 3 in all) and remake it as a single component.
Hope this helps.
Best
dh

davidheim1 

Postby tuna1957 » Fri May 29, 2020 9:40 pm

Great start on an interesting piece ! Those hammered copper doors would look fantastic in a render. :thumb:

tuna1957 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby davidheim1 » Fri May 29, 2020 11:12 pm

Thank you, tuna. You're right about the render.

davidheim1 

Postby Dave R » Sat May 30, 2020 1:37 am

Nice work, David.
Etaoin Shrdlu

%

(THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

M30

%
Dave R 
Global Moderator

Postby davidheim1 » Sat May 30, 2020 9:52 pm

Xa Zian cabinet copy.png

Finished.

davidheim1 

Postby Dave R » Sat May 30, 2020 10:26 pm

Excellent!
Etaoin Shrdlu

%

(THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

M30

%
Dave R 
Global Moderator

Postby davidheim1 » Sun May 31, 2020 1:55 am

Thanks, as always, Dave.

davidheim1 

Postby HornOxx » Sun May 31, 2020 10:00 am

davidheim1 wrote:...Hope this helps...

A great result! Prima!
Thanks a lot David for your screenshots and explanations :thumb: - I can follow up to the polygonal shape outlines, from then on my in this case necessary translation tool speaks about some kind of foam rinse, which should only interest hairdressers :D :D :D . Could you please guide me to the plugin tool you used here to generate these shapes?
HornOxx 

Postby davidheim1 » Sun May 31, 2020 4:35 pm

Thanks, HornOxx.
The lofting plugin I used is part of Fredo6's Curviloft, available through the Plugin Store here on SketchUcation. Here's a link:

https://sketchucation.com/plugin/1175-curviloft

I used the Skinning plugin described in the link. It's also called Skin Contours, which apparently does not translate well. Apologies for the confusion.

davidheim1 

Postby tuna1957 » Sun May 31, 2020 5:05 pm

Excellent finish ! :thumb:

tuna1957 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby HornOxx » Sun May 31, 2020 5:15 pm

davidheim1 wrote:...I used the Skinning plugin described in the link...

ouch!!! - how embarrassing for me. Curvi Loft is one of my favorite plugins. This right icon I have never tried before and have no idea why.
Thanks for your information and patience David :)
HornOxx 

Postby pilou » Sun May 31, 2020 9:18 pm

Plugins are so rich that it's very difficult to use all them functions! :)
Frenchy Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
Speedy Galerie
pilou 
Top SketchUcator

Postby davidheim1 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:10 am

I don't know, Frenchy. Dave Richards apparently has never met a plugin he didn't like. :lol:

davidheim1 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Woodworking