Levels

To access this forum when logged in, please, sign up to the Woodworking User Group in your User Control Panel.

Levels

Postby jtri » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:53 pm

The brass bound rosewood levels made by Stanley, Goodell-Pratt and Stratton Brothers always interested me. If you can find a rosewood one at a reasonable price they are not in the best of shape so buying a rosewood bodied one has not yet happened. I do have a nice mahogany one that I restored. The levels I have got me thinking. If I were to make one today what would I do? I would start with a small 9" one.
It was an easy SketchUp model. Now I needed to make one. So some khaya and wenge scraps were re-purposed and had a lot of fun making these using similar details from the Stanley level I have. Learned a bunch, now I need some Mesquite (most stable wood easily available) better vials and I will make a 24" or 30" version.

jtri 

Re: Levels

Postby mrossk » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:22 pm

sweet!

mrossk 

Postby davidheim1 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:50 pm

Great work for a challenging project.
dh

davidheim1 

Postby tuna1957 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:14 pm

cool project :thumb:

tuna1957 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jtri » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:34 pm

Thanks guys, It was a fun project. I would not call it difficult, more fussy work. Fun to get out of your comfort zone.
I am working on another fun project, should be ready to show soon

jtri 

Postby CJRyan » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:04 am

I love your wood textures. Is that tiger maple on the table?

CJRyan 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jtri » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:02 pm

Yes that is tiger maple on a desk I made. It is a photograph not a render. Guess I need to be clearer or learn to render.......

jtri 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Woodworking