Seeking upholstery suggestions

To access this forum when logged in, please, sign up to the Woodworking User Group in your User Control Panel.

Seeking upholstery suggestions

Postby davidheim1 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:27 pm

moran loveseat.png
I've been working on a model of this loveseat off and on for a couple of weeks. I'd like to show the tufting on the back, but I'm not sure how to accomplish that. I've tried using the Sandbox tools, but with little success. I suppose SubD would work, but I have no experience with that plugin. Any suggestions?
Best,
dh

davidheim1 

Re: Seeking upholstery suggestions

Postby pilou » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:38 am

Look at Alvis furnitures thread! ;)
Frenchy Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
Speedy Galerie
pilou 
Top SketchUcator

Postby davidheim1 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:16 am

Some interesting models, but not a lot of hard information in the thread. It looks as if he's using Vertex Tools or SubD, but I can't tell.
Thanks for the tip, though. Much appreciated.
Best
dh

davidheim1 

Postby Box » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:14 am

David, posting questions like this in the Woodworking section sort of limits who sees it. You have to choose to see this category.

But here is a quick gif showing you the very basics of making tufting.
Box 

Postby davidheim1 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:42 pm

Thanks, Box, for taking the time to do the GIF. It looks as if SubD is what I need. I was hoping I could avoid buying a plugin to finish this model. Oh, well.

davidheim1 

Postby Box » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:55 pm

There are several ways I can think of to do it, I responded to your comment that there was little info on how it was done with Vertex tools and SUbD.
You could achieve good results with Curviloft or even follow me. You just need to work with multiple sections in a suitable configuration.
Box 

Postby ntxdave » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:18 pm

Would be interesting to see how you would achieve this with follow me and/or Curviloft
ntxdave 

Postby davidheim1 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:32 pm

tufting test.png
Curviloft will work but it's time-consuming. The image is a test I did just now. It entails creating one tufted square and copying it repeatedly. That's OK for the flat part of the back, but it will probably get tricky when I try to create tufts on the curved part of the piece.

davidheim1 

Postby jtri » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:53 pm

Nice model David. Thanks for sharing your process and problems. Let us know how you finally decided to finish the model.

jtri 

Postby davidheim1 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:50 pm

SubD and Vertex Tools were on sale today from SketchUcation. I bought both and will probably use them for the tufting. If I can learn how to use these plugins, that is. Stay tuned.

davidheim1 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Woodworking