End of an Era

To access this forum when logged in, please, sign up to the Woodworking User Group in your User Control Panel.

End of an Era

Postby boofredlay » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:53 pm

After 21 seasons, "The New Yankee Workshop" is closing its doors.
http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/bl ... +Shop.aspx
boofredlay 
Global Moderator

Re: End of an Era

Postby Rich O Brien » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:14 pm

and remember..............

don't forget your safety glasses

he will be missed
There's a frontroom and a backroom....reverse faces
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby DamaTheCat » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:18 am

Norm had to impact many of us woodworkers...... Kinda like "Listerine".... doesn't taste all that good, but it works and I use it every day..... I for one will really miss the shows! If only to fuss about "if I had all those cool tools I could do the same stuff!" Which always caused my wife to yell.... "you aren't gonna buy any more durn tools!"....

Think there will be "re-runs"????
Every Day I Try To Be The Person My Dog Thinks I am.......
DamaTheCat 

Postby Dave R » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:36 am

I haven't watched television in about 15 years but I used to watch Norm a lot. He is certainly a big inspiration to a lot of woodworkers. I'm sure reruns will be out there on various PBS stations or perhaps other networks. I would bet you'll be able to get a boxed set of DVDs of each season. Good marketing opportunity for them certainly.
%

(THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

M30

%
Dave R 
Global Moderator

Postby solo » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:00 pm

I haven't watched television in about 15 years

:shock:

really? yikes. (you ain't missing much by the way)
http://www.solos-art.com

I'm better with polys than words
solo 
Global Moderator

Postby Dave R » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:31 pm

From what I see in the news (online) I think you're right. We have a television but mainly my 5 year old watches videos on it. He likes the old stuff. Schoolhouse Rock has been his favorite since he was 3 and he's been getting into the first season of Green Acres. He goes around the house singing the theme song except he's replaced 'penthouse' with 'hen house.' :roflmao: That kid is probably scarred for life. I might have to get the Norm videos so he can learn how to wear a flannel shirt. :lol:
%

(THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

M30

%
Dave R 
Global Moderator

Postby Roger » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:30 am

Norm and Roy Underhill of the Woodrights Workshop were saviors of my sanity all those years I worked in Silicon Valley.

Roger 

Postby todd burch » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:29 am

I really enjoyed watching Norm. My family would hurry home from church on Sundays (pre DVR's, but we would record on VHS tapes when needed) to see Norm. My son and I would recite together, with Norm, word-for-word, the "Safetly Glasses" spiel.

He did inspire me when I was learning woodworking. It was him, books and magazines.

He certainly sold a lot of tools along the way. I've nothing bad to say about him today (I mean, right now, while I'm writing this post, after 2 glasses of wine).

todd burch 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Woodworking