Feedback on a bench I designed.

To access this forum when logged in, please, sign up to the Woodworking User Group in your User Control Panel.

Feedback on a bench I designed.

Postby Hazza » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:44 pm

A work mate of mine asked me if I could design a fold up work bench for his single car garage. The design brief was that he wanted a bench at the end of his garage he could fold up and place his motorbike in the space. This is what I came up with:

1. The 2 end sections are designed to be bolted to the wall, that's why there is no cross bracing between them.
  2. The length of the bench is nominal and will be adjusted to suit the width of his garage.
  3. The back section will be pegboard where he will hang his tools.
  4. It has a cross piece that fits into a recess at the front that can be moved to the back when the top is folded up.
  5. The size of the timber is also nominal, he will probably use 4x2.
  6. To lock it down and lock it up it will have those .... ahhhhh..... bolt thingys with a spring... had brain fart.... can't think of it's proper name right now.

He thinks it is great but I would like to hear from you guys, does anyone have any suggestions on improvement?
See all of my SketchUp models here.

Hazza 

Re: Feedback on a bench I designed.

Postby rfritz » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:05 am

Overall it's a good design that makes good use of available space. My only though is that the fold-up work surface is not strong enough. You should frame the top (I'm assuming you'll use 3/4" plywood) underneath with 2x4s and then add a couple of cross member 2x4 to add more strength. I don't know what your friend is going to use the work bench for but I don't believe it will be sturdy enough for anything heavy or any heavy pounding.

rfritz 

Postby Charlie__V » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:31 am

Hazza,
You mention motorbike....I assumed something large and based my thoughts on that assumption.

Getting the motorbike in the workbench space & somewhat tight to the wall would possibly require at least one leg/support of the workbench to swing away......maybe not?

Anywho...there is me 2pennies worth ;)

Best,
C
Precision M1710/Win 7 Pro 64 bit/i-7 6920 Quad core 2.9 Ghz -3.8/16Gb ram/NVIDIA M5000M 8Gb

Charlie__V 

Postby Hazza » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:14 am

CHARLIE__V wrote:.....would possibly require at least one leg/support of the workbench to swing away......maybe not?

The end sections are attached / bolted right up against and into the wall..... makes it a bit hard to swing the end like that, even if it swings inward it would only provide and extra 2 inches of room, not worth the extra engineering.

Hazza 

Postby Charlie__V » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:17 pm

Hazza,
"makes it a bit hard to swing the end like that"
No need to get "funny"

"The 2 end sections are designed to be bolted to the wall, that's why there is no cross bracing between them."

Indicting end walls & or drawing some reference in the .SKP would help.

Best,
C
Precision M1710/Win 7 Pro 64 bit/i-7 6920 Quad core 2.9 Ghz -3.8/16Gb ram/NVIDIA M5000M 8Gb

Charlie__V 

Postby Hazza » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:12 am

CHARLIE__V wrote:"makes it a bit hard to swing the end like that"
No need to get "funny"

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend, I knew you were trying to help.

Hazza 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Woodworking