Here's v3 of the ExtensionStore....

http://sketchucation.com/pluginstore?pl ... ationTools

More info to follow
There's a frontroom and a backroom....reverse faces
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Re: Extension Store v3.0.0

Postby Rich O Brien » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:16 pm

It is made to be responsive to viewport....go ahead resize!!
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby Rich O Brien » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:18 pm

You find more info by hovering over items...
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby juju » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:20 pm

thanks for the hard work team!
Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.
juju 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby josephkim626 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:18 pm

ah! i didn't realize you can widen the window to see more icons.

For some reason. my Redbox left to the ExtensionStore is missing.
josephkim626 

Postby pbacot » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:24 pm

Thank You!
MacOSX (El Capitan) ShetchUp Pro v16 Layout Twilight Pro v2 M2 Kerkythea PowerCADD
pbacot 
Top SketchUcator

Postby kaas » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:27 pm

Update by using the SketchUcation Extension manager. Into a loop now - restarted SketchUp several times. Maybe delete all SketchUcation files in plugin dir to solve this?

Edit: deleted all SketchUcation files from plugin directory, installed fresh new V3 rbz and now it works again. Looks very nice!

kaas 

Postby Rich O Brien » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:32 pm

josephkim626 wrote:For some reason. my Redbox left to the ExtensionStore is missing.

must be related to your Windows OS. I've added this to out ToDo pile....

Thanks for the feedback guys (and gals?). We appreciate it.
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby fredo6 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:44 am

SU2016 - Win7-64

I don't see some of the icons and version number.

PS 3.PNG

Also, as a personal comment, I think the previous layout 'ala Goggle' with the short text info was more friendly and easier to navigate. 2.6 was also more compact, which is always a good thingon small screens.

Finally, I also got the double "restart Sketchup" when installing via PluginStore 2.6 (in the SU Plugins default directory)

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Frederik » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:53 am

Thanks for this update...! :thumb:
fredo6 wrote:SU2016 - Win7-64

It's the same on Win 10 64-bit...

fredo6 wrote:Also, as a personal comment, I think the previous layout 'ala Goggle' with the short text info was more friendly and easier to navigate. 2.6 was also more compact, which is always a good thingon small screens.

I have to agree with Fredo on these points...
Hopefully it's something I just need to get used to or perhaps you will make updates with better layout...
Frederik 
Thea Render Support
Thea Render Support

Postby Rich O Brien » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:56 am

Updates and changes are guaranteed.

We needed to push it out to meet the new issues 2016 brought up.

You'll see continuous improvement on this release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby Frederik » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:57 am

Rich O Brien wrote:Updates and changes are guaranteed.

We needed to push it out to meet the new issues 2016 brought up.

You'll see continuous improvement on this release.

Fully understandable...!
Keep up the excellent work...! :thumb:
I'm a fan...!
Frederik 
Thea Render Support
Thea Render Support

Postby josephkim626 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:54 am

fredo6 wrote:SU2016 - Win7-64

PS 3.PNG

Also, as a personal comment, I think the previous layout 'ala Goggle' with the short text info was more friendly and easier to navigate. 2.6 was also more compact, which is always a good thingon small screens.

Finally, I also got the double "restart Sketchup" when installing via PluginStore 2.6 (in the SU Plugins default directory)

Fredo

Actually, I had the same question as well Fredo.

As Rich has described, as you enlarge the window to the side, the icons and version number will show.

I must say, I agree with you that the short text info was easier to read and understand than what it is now.

There are still some images not showing, I suppose they will be fixed in future releases.
josephkim626 

Postby Rich O Brien » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:57 am

hi joeseph,

yeah, we'll as we go. we wanted to push it out to manage the su2016 upgrade

it's missing bits and pieces. but as a community we can shape this together.
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby fredo6 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:30 am

Yes, everything is shown when you resize the window to its maximum width

PS3 - all shown.png

So just a few things to tweak in the adaptive UI.

Fred
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Rich O Brien » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:33 am

Absolutely.

Consider this a canvas to paint on.

It'll only get better with everyone's help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby josephkim626 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:34 am

I guess I will add in some comments.

In addition to the Redbox missing next to the ExtensionStore3, there is image missing when displaying "Woot! All your extensions are up to date."
I suppose you meant to add a bit more cheerful image than a box with x in it.

Capture.PNG

Also, tiny black dots left to the extension names don't really do much.
A tiny check symbol or Grayed extension name would be more intuitive. (to stay inline with overall UI design)
I would avoid using red dot as it usually means something that you need to pay attention to: unread emails, or extensions that needs updating due to recent release.

Capture1.PNG

Fade-in of the UI seems a bit too slow. I don't mind it as much, but i think it is a bit too slow to feel snappy.
I rather not have it if it can.

When the "Bundles" is cramped in narrow window size, it pushes download button below the blue box.
In further reducing of the window will eventually bring all buttons below, and outside of the box, but its extra strange that the download box goes out first.

Capture2.PNG

and I would love to be able to modify my bundle.
I mean...i got 7 lists, with some extensions i would not like to keep in my bundle.
waiting on that functionality as it was shown in the release preview.

Thanks for the work, I will add to the list when I notice some more.
josephkim626 

Postby josephkim626 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:00 pm

and one more!

I feel that the small blue triangle to reveal the detailed description of the extension is a bit too small.
I don't know about other people, but I wouldn't expect clicking on the author name and the small triangle would make two different action. (clicking the author name takes one to author page, and triangle for extension details)

Capture.PNG

As the function of the extensions aren't as obvious often, having one or two lines of the description for each extension with blue "...more" text at the end would be more intuitive.

Take IOS app store Update section.
Same visual "What's New(down triangle)" is a single button to show detail.

My personal opinion, I find the version updated date more useful than actual version number.
As I can't really remember version number of every extensions i have installed.
I wouldn't replace the version number with the dates, but perhaps show the dates with the short description.
josephkim626 

Postby fredo6 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:03 pm

2 additional remarks:

1) The 5 stars rating seems to have disappeared. I think it was useful, more than a single 'Love' button

2) When you select in the combo box [Recent, Full List, by download], the screen is not refreshed.

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby TIG » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:31 pm

Please note that the new ExtensionStore3 RBZ is already 'signed' by Trimble, so it will load and run in all 'policies' set up under SketchUp v2016, which has just been released.

Although to be honest, it's highly recommended that for now you stick with the current shipped default Preferences > Extensions Policy == 'Unrestricted' so all load anyway -signed or not.
Under other restricted policies, although the existing 'unsigned' extensions/plugins will install OK from AutoInstall [or RBZ], they will neither load nor run !

Authors are working on getting 'signed' RBZs from Trimble so they can republish.
Fredo's are all signed, some of mine are also signed - they are in the PluginStore now - and many more will follow over the coming weeks...
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby dukfinx » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:55 pm

I would love to try new store but have this error

Error Loading File D:/Duk/Sketchup/Plugins/SketchUcation/SCF_loader.rb
(eval):324:in `log_setup': uninitialized constant SCF::SCF::TEMPDIRError Loading File SketchUcation.rb
(eval):324:in `log_setup': uninitialized constant SCF::SCF::TEMPDIR

I see that other people had it but seem not able to find a clear solution. Is this caused by Ruby 2.0
I am still using SU8 Free with Win 7
And this is a quick list of my extension
- BezierSpline
- arcs circles
- many Fredo6's tools (sorry, abit lazy)
- JWM Shape tool
- Twightlight 2
- Some other default plugins

If necessary, I will create separated thread in the future to keep this thread clean.

dukfinx 

Postby derei » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:33 pm

I used the plugin a bit, to get used to it and overall i like it, looks better, acts better.
So, I came with some feedback and mostly suggestions for improvement.

EDIT: Some suggestions are "obsolete" (like extension icon and info button), because I wasn't aware the plugin is supposed to have the window extended.
As an amendment to this, maybe would be a better idea to have them visible even when the window is narrower.

1. Database search seems faster, the overall response seems faster.

2. The slow fade effect is annoying after a while, messing with your brain.
Would suggest option to disable it / change speed if user doesn't like it.

3. Too much unused space in the loss of the actual list. Is nice, but this is not a decorative application only. It should be practical too.
My suggestion: try to make better use of the space in header/footer. Maybe the footer could disappear completely

4. Options for Bundles ! Rename and Delete.
Clone option is not that useful if I can't cancel my action, or rename the clone as I please.

5. Description + Icon for plugins. The new Red download button looks nice, but I would trade it any moment for the past really useful features.
With no description, how do I know what I'm downloading? - also button to send me to forum's page, or author's website for more details about the plugin.
Icon is very important, because many memory associations are made visually. I can't really remember a plugin, but while searching for it, i may see the image and remember. Also, because a visual can give a better clue for the plugin's functionality.

6. Search and Filtering to work together.
Some authors have a really long list of plugins (grateful for that), but sometimes is difficult to find which is which, so the search option would be nice to work with the filtered options. For example, if I pick author, then to be able to search only in that author's list.

7. KEYWORDS - this is extremely important for search. Tags, whatever... sometimes the right name of the plugin doesn't come right away, especially for "funny names", but one can know what the plugin does, or something related to it. So, wisely chosen keywords could greatly improve the search. - some seem to respond to related search, but not many, from what I could notice.

8. UNINSTALL BUTTON in Downloads, to be able to completely remove a plugin that I don't want to see it even in Bundles.
Those uninstalling tools are useful for temporary uninstalling, if I want to remove a plugin now, but to have it back later. But sometimes i just don't need one at all. I just tested it, i see is not suitable for me, so I want it completely removed from my system/archive/bundles.

9. I find a bit questionable the usefullness of the Filters Toggle Button at the bottom
- after all, who looks for a plugin is looking for something specific. And even if is for saving space, more space will be saved if the bottom bar is completely removed and the buttons are moved on top.
Log Out could be moved inside Settings, for example. Is not a tool to operate so often. At least, I don't log out of my account every time... i don't see the purpose of that.

10. The entire Plugin Menu entries could be moved somewhere else from Extensions Menu... there is already A LOT of things there, as most plugin authors send their work in Extensions menu. For example in Window there is Plenty of space. And the Extension Warehouse is there too - could be both.

Thank you for the hard work. I hope my suggestions make sense for you and at least some of them will be applied to improve the application.

Good luck!
DESIGNER AND ARTIST DEREI.UK
derei 

Postby Rich O Brien » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:42 pm

Thanks for taking some time to resolve some of yesterdays initial disappointment.

Most of your suggestions are coming.

We'll play with fade effect. The reasoning for it is due to the way we check for updates. It is a visual trick to allow us to to make a call to the server without you noticing. We thought a fade effect would hide this initial call. But we'll tweak the speed. Exposing the speed of the fade would require coding more options in.

So we either lose it completely or speed it up. I vote for a faster fade.

Most of your other requests are things we've flagged to do. But please remember there's only 3 peeps working on this in between other things. But consider this the start of a mammoth change of direction.
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby derei » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:43 pm

Yes, I believe making it a bit faster will work. And if is possible to keep it only for DB operations would be even greater. To remove it from local operations (switching from main window to settings, for example).

My disappointment came from the shock of apparently losing so many features that were in the first version. I was "oh my, they had one good thing and they decided to break it" ... I'm sure if this was the first version I wouldn't have been disappointed. Because there were nothing to compare to.

Wish you good luck with improving it. A better plugins management is a must, this is for sure. I can live with fading if plugin management is better done. Even uninstalling could be completely moved in this window and get rid of the extra plugin uninstaller tool.
DESIGNER AND ARTIST DEREI.UK
derei 

Postby pbacot » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:51 pm

Now is there a way to get all your current plugins and extensions (as are supported in the store) to update to new ones for your new version of SketchUp (2016 in this case)?
MacOSX (El Capitan) ShetchUp Pro v16 Layout Twilight Pro v2 M2 Kerkythea PowerCADD
pbacot 
Top SketchUcator

Postby TIG » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:29 pm

Bundles ?
Use v2015 inside v2016...
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby pbacot » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:52 pm

TIG wrote:Bundles ?
Use v2015 inside v2016...

What does use v2015 inside v 2016 mean?
pbacot 
Top SketchUcator

Postby cotty » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:17 pm

You can go to the bundles in the SketchUcation Extension store and choose one bundle to install (the plugins will be downloaded as fresh and actual versions):

bundles.jpg
cotty 
Top SketchUcator

Postby TIG » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:15 pm

Assuming you have used the PluginStore [now ExtensionStore3] tool's dialog before in v2015, then when you open it in v2016 there will be a Bundle named 'SOME_COMPUTER_NAME:15' listing the Plugins installed in v2015 when you last used it there.
There will also be a Bundle named 'SOME_COMPUTER_NAME:16' - with a shorter list.
Make a copy of the 'SOME_COMPUTER_NAME:15' one [say named '15to16'] and remove any of the listed Plugins you definitely don't want to copy over.
Then apply the '15to16' Bundle to v2016.
The tool should install all of the listed Plugins you have in that '15to16' Bundle, into v2016.
So in this simple one step you can effectively copy across all of the Plugins.
It is of course limited to those Plugins hosted by the PluginStore - so you'll need to use EWH for any of theirs which are not available here...

There are more detailed tutorials on using the PluginStore's Bundles.
Search for them...
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby fredo6 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:35 pm

Playing with the PluginStore window, I am a little bit dubious that the 'responsive' design ends up by hiding 2 of the 3 colored buttons when the window is resized smaller. Specially, when it is useful buttons. I would have expected they get smaller, or pile up vertically, but not disappear. Or at least there would be an horizontal scrollbar.

I guess you will fix this with time. For me the previous layout was close to perfect, very compact, all information displayed without interaction, easy to navigate. Displaying 20 items at a time was fine, even if a MORE button would have been welcome (or extending automatically the list when scrolling down).

Also, as suggested by josephkim626, I think both the version and the date of publishing would be useful in the display (and date in DD MMM YY format, if possible).

Thanks for your hard work on this new version and for making sure it complies with SU2016. I am sure that was not an easy piece to get it ready on time.

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Next

Return to Developers' Forum