[Plugin] Sculpt Tools (help)

[Plugin] Sculpt Tools (help)

Postby •BTM » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:21 pm

———————————————————————————————————————————————————
REDIRECT TO V 1.0 : viewtopic.php?f=180&t=20781

A set of basic sculpting tools. When using bulge or push, hold shift to reverse the effect.

… a sculpted gargoyle (rendered in Kerkythea)

a sculpted head
———————————————————————————————————————————————————

http://www.screencast.com/t/FOl5w6XE <- ( I know I spelled 'dialog' wrong. A little mix up with french. This is not a video of latest version.)

…If you can open that video, good. If not, here's a picture of something I made out of a sphere with the script I'm writing.
face.jpg

… It's a basic set of sculpting tools, which I'm making due to my lack of skills in other programs, ( or due to my lack of owning them ;) ) .
Last edited by •BTM on Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:08 pm, edited 8 times in total.

•BTM 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Re: Sculpt Tools (help)

Postby Pixero » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:28 pm

Look very promising. :thumb:
Pixero 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby modelhead » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:38 pm

The video looks good....I can think of many uses. Something I would like is a fold capability to create smooth creases in material..like pushing a table cloth and having it fold in front of your hand. Nice work....thanks for the peak.

modelhead 

Postby Daniel S » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:45 pm

Looks amazing!!! :berserk: :berserk:

Daniel S 

Postby remus » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:33 pm

First off, that looks like a really cool set of tools your developing *much praise*

With regards to stuff to add, the ability to mask off polys would be cool, a la zbrush.

A very optimistic request would be for adaptive subdivision, so if your doing a lot of work on a small area of the model the tool automatically subdivides it so you get better resolution.

remus 

Postby solo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:41 pm

What wizardry am I seeing here?

Zbrush meets sketchup?, I urge anyone than can help to please oblige as this is a long awaited tool IMo.
My site

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
solo 
Global Moderator

Postby Chris Fullmer » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:49 am

Looking great! A few custom "brushes" would be cool. So the user could define different ways to be bulging and sculpting.

Also, I think its time to dig into the view.draw methods. Drawing a circle around the tool, set to the size of the bulge, and that orients itself to the direction that the bulge will be occuring. That would be a great addition. There also needs to be some sort of increment control on the bulging. Anyhow, I'm sure you'll get to all of this in time. Keep it up, it looks awesome!

Chris
Lately you've been tan, suspicious for the winter.
All my Plugins I've written
Chris Fullmer 
SketchUp Team
SketchUp Team

Postby mitcorb » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:47 am

Oh boy Oh boy I can see this becoming an excellent tool for fine tuning warped meshes--aside from the straightforward uses you demo in the videos.
Obviously, you recognize that the mesh has to be well subdivided. Does the brush only work on a smoothed entity?
Keep up the good work, BTM.
I take the slow, deliberate approach in my aimless wandering.
mitcorb 
Top SketchUcator

Postby 3eighty » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:53 am

GREAT TOOL...Now if you can get it to turn metals into GOLD! :ecstatic:

3eighty 

Postby dacad » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:59 am

WOW!!!! Sculpt Tools?!?! Simple Amazing!! :berserk:

One question, isn't the pull a push with a negative value in streght? because if it is there's no point in keeping the two of them, and so keeping the plugin simpler.

If you're looking to more tools to add see about pinch, flatten, and inflate, a little like the blender sculpt tools that aren't has complex has zbrush (i can give you more info on this tools and how they work if you want).

And i sure hope everyone will help you with this plugin (i'm no coder but i can help in info and design about the tools), because this is seriously useful and needed for sketchup (even for srchviz, imagine detailing a terrain with this...)

This is really great stuff .BTM. Looking forward to use your plugin.
Congratulations
David
Last edited by dacad on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

dacad 

Postby Pixero » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:03 am

DacaD wrote:One question, isn't the pull a push with a negative value in streght? because if it is there's no point in keeping the two of them, and so keeping the plugin simpler.

Maybe use the Alt key for push.
Pixero 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby free agent » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:59 am

will it have pressure sensitivity with a wacom pen and tablet???? :fro:

also would be cool if it made its own geometry??? as to not produce any unnecessary geometry, just a thought
free agent 

Postby kwistenbiebel » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:17 pm

Sculpt tools! Finally !
Good luck with dev on this plugin. It is definitely something a lot of us will appreciate.

kwistenbiebel 

Postby CadFather » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:41 pm

wow, BTM.. serious shock.. :shock:
Quarr-IT - SketchUp Training from the Master.. http://quarr-it.com/
CadFather 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby •BTM » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:47 pm

Chris Fullmer wrote:Looking great! A few custom "brushes" would be cool. So the user could define different ways to be bulging and sculpting.

I've added a bit more customizability for the shape of the brush. it now has a strength, hard edge and soft edge. So, if the hard edge was 1m, and the soft was 0.5m, the overall size of the tool would be 1.5m, and the .5m on the outside would be smoothed. if the hard edge was 1m, and no soft edge, it would be have a 1m range, and a hard outer edge. If it had no hard edge, but a 1m soft edge, it would be completely smooth, like in the example video. Makes it a lot easier to sculpt smaller details.

Free Agent wrote:will it have pressure sensitivity with a wacom pen and tablet????

…I have no Idea how to include that. :? Where would you get the info on the pen's pressure from?

solo wrote:Zbrush meets sketchup?

I've never used Zbrush, i'll check it out though, maybe it could give me some more ideas.

DacaD wrote:isn't the pull a push with a negative value in streght? because if it is there's no point in keeping the two of them, and so keeping the plugin simpler.

I might make them both into one tool, push, with Shift or something to make it pull. Same with Bulge and Carve, the only difference between the two is that one has uses a reversed vector of the other.

CadFather wrote:wow, BTM.. serious shock.. :shock:

It really isn't that complicated at all, especially compared to some of the other scripts out there. :)

•BTM 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby MALAISE » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:33 pm

Quite promising, BTM, the program you're writing :thumb: :thumb:

It's a different approach of "sand box"

MALAISE
La Connaissance n'a de valeur que partagée
MALAISE 

Postby =Physicsguy= » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:10 pm

It looks outstanding! I wish I could do that...

=Physicsguy= 

Postby •BTM » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:30 am

O.K., I looked at some features in Zbrush, and kinda copied one :roll:
The ability to have a kind of gravity effect.
gravity.jpg

•BTM 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby CadFather » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:39 am

don't stop!!! :lol:
Quarr-IT - SketchUp Training from the Master.. http://quarr-it.com/
CadFather 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby solo » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:41 am

AHA!!!!

Gravity is what I need to make cloth effects....you are cooking now!
My site

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
solo 
Global Moderator

Postby •BTM » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:03 am

solo wrote:AHA!!!!

Gravity is what I need to make cloth effects....you are cooking now!

… I just like making goop :mrgreen:
goop.jpg

•BTM 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby solo » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:06 am

With a bit of playing, your code will be able to produce this faster than I did using SDS.

My site

solo 
Global Moderator

Postby kwistenbiebel » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:36 am

Wow.. a drape tool as well?
This is getting better and better.

kwistenbiebel 

Postby dacad » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:23 am

you teaser...;)
I'm really really dying to test your plugin .BTM...

Great Work :thumb:
David

dacad 

Postby pilou » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:29 am

And soon the Voxels technology of 3d-Coat? ;)
Frenchy Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
Speedy Galerie
pilou 
Top SketchUcator

Postby erikB » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:58 am

wow !!!
really amazing. Keep it up :D
erikB
erikB 

Postby EarthMover » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:54 pm

BTM,

One of the things I like about Modo's sculpting tools is that when you have a tool selected, let's say the push tool, when you hold shift and use the tool it then becomes a smooth tool.......when you hold CTRL and use it, it becomes the tool opposite of it, in the case of the push tool, the opposite is the carve tool. It allows for quick sculpting without constantly selecting different tools to make minor adjustments to the mesh. Thought that would be a good idea for you plugin.
3D Artist at Clearstory 3D Imaging
Guide Tool at Winning With Sketchup
Content Creator at Skapeup
EarthMover 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby •BTM » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:40 pm

EarthMover wrote:BTM,

One of the things I like about Modo's sculpting tools is that when you have a tool selected, let's say the push tool, when you hold shift and use the tool it then becomes a smooth tool.......when you hold CTRL and use it, it becomes the tool opposite of it, in the case of the push tool, the opposite is the carve tool. It allows for quick sculpting without constantly selecting different tools to make minor adjustments to the mesh. Thought that would be a good idea for you plugin.

Yeah, I've been thinking about having Shift or another key make the tool into the opposite. As for a smooth too, I've been thinking about how to make one, but it seems pretty hard to come up with something that might work.

Also, I'm planning on having the settings, which are used by all the tools, be in a webdialog; then you could change the settings while using any of the tools ( Think of the sketchyphysics UI). My problem is that I have no clue how to make a webdialog. :roll:

… Right now, I'm thinking of ways to make the tools run faster when dealing with lots of geometry. They still work fairly well, but definitely not as smooth as in the video, if the polycount is really high. For instance, this model has just over 9000 faces, and the tools worked fairly well on it, but as the framerate drops, the rate of onMouseMove does too.
head3.jpg
Last edited by •BTM on Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

•BTM 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby urgen » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:29 pm

.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :o ......:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
--pupil forever...------
urgen 

Postby •BTM » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:50 am

Okay, I've sorta got the Shift-to-reverse-tool working. It makes sculpting a lot easier; either that, or I've just gotten a lot better :roflmao:
head5.png

… This might turn out to be a pretty good free plugin! :mrgreen:

•BTM 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Next

Return to Plugins