Windowizer4 now available!

Windowizer4 now available!

Postby RickW » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:34 am

Windowizer4 is now available! It includes the following features:

1. Full 3D storefront windows (front-only Windowizer3-style windows are optional)
  2. Window styles can be saved to the model for easy recall
  3. Resulting windows can be grouped or ungrouped
  4. Zero-width outer frames are now possible
  5. Polygons are now supported
  6. Local language support (tied to SketchUp localization, where volunteers have provided localized files)

Planned free updates for this version include:
  1. Export and import window styles for use in different models
  2. Window editing
  3. Window style matching (apply one window's settings to another window)
  4. Zero-width mullion support for butt-glazed storefront & curtainwall windows
  5. Style Manager dialog for renaming/exporting/importing/deleting window styles

Thanks to all the volunteers who helped with localization, and to all users for your patience as I worked to create this.

Windowizer 4 Visual Reference.pdf
Last edited by RickW on Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

RickW 

Re: Windowizer4 now available!

Postby Gaieus » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:55 am

Hi Rick,

I have unzipped everything simply to the Plugins folder (or should I have installed it differently?). After opening SU, I found windowizer 4 in the plugin menu and tried to run but the webdialog says "The page cannot be displayed" (practically a 404 eror). When I right click and go to Properties, I see the below URL

Code: Select all
res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#file://C:\Program%20Files\Google\Google%20SketchUp%206\Plugins\windowizer4-en-US.html

Also see my screenshot (the webdialog and the propertie panel in Hungarian).

BTW - how am I supposed to select my language?

Sorry for being a pain with this...
Gaieus 

Postby RickW » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:05 am

When you unzipped the files, did you retain folder names? All the .html files (except windowizer4-en-US.html) should be in a subfolder called "windowizer4languages".

After verifying that, close the dialog, open the Ruby Console, then select Plugins>Windowizer4 from the menu. If there are any errors in the Ruby Console, please copy & paste them in a message to me (either here or in email).

Windowizer should automatically select the proper dialog language file based on the Sketchup localization. It works in theory (and it works for selecting US English), but I can't test it on other localizations. If you continue to have problems after verifying all the files are located correctly, let me know and I'll see if some international ruby gurus (Didier? TBD?) can help solve the problem.

RickW 

Postby Gaieus » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:13 am

I haven't changed anything in the folder and name structure. Note however that I don't have windowizer4-en-US.html anywhere; neither in the main plugins folder nor in the subfolder.

I tried it with the ruby console but nothing appears in there.

I removed all other scripts but still no avail.
Gaieus 

Postby Gaieus » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:21 am

Okay, I think the mising file was the culprit. I copied the Hungarian html file to the main Plugins folder, renamed it to ...en-US.html and the window pops up just fine. (in Hungarian). I'll start testing my translation immediately.

Thanks Rick! :thumb:
Gaieus 

Postby RickW » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:22 am

Somehow, the windowizer4-en-US.html file was omitted from the .zip download. I've uploaded a new .zip file with the missing file included. Try re-downloading and let me know what you get.

Thanks,

RickW 

Postby Gaieus » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:35 am

Downloading...

In the previous zip file there was a "Program files" folder as well. It is missing from this one; is it not needed? There were deeply nested subfolders in it but eventually all empty).

OK, downloaded but it's not working.

The window appears but whatever I do (trying to apply the default settings) and press "Apply" (still testing with the US version) nothing happens.
Gaieus 

Postby RickW » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:41 am

No, that was some strange anomaly in the old .zip file, and was unnecessary. You should have the following files in the Plugins folder:

array_to.rb
arraysum.rb
getMaterials.rb
offset.rb
windowizer4.rb
windowizer4stylemanager.rb
windowizer4-en-US.html

The first 4 are "library" files that are used by other scripts. The last 3 are unique to Windowizer4. You should also have a subfolder called "windowizer4languages" in your Plugins folder. The localized .html files go in here, and you can safely delete all but your language's .html file.

Does anything appear in the Ruby Console when you click "Apply"?
Last edited by RickW on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

RickW 

Postby Gaieus » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:43 am

Wait. Me stupid. I looked at the script and it says requires sketchup.rb and I don't have it in the folder at the moment. :oops:
Gaieus 

Postby RickW » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:48 am

The sketchup.rb file should be in the Tools folder, not the Plugins folder.

RickW 

Postby Gaieus » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:58 am

BTW - where do I get sketchup.rb? I don't seem to have it at all! :shock:

Me stupid agan. It's in the Tools folder by default.

Now copied to the Plugins folder but still no avail.
Gaieus 

Postby RickW » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:03 am

It should stay in the Tools folder. Any messages in the Ruby Console?

RickW 

Postby seasdes » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:38 am

Hooray thank you so much for this plugin Rick. So far it works as expected. It even cuts both sides of a wall.

Trully amazing.

Walter :sketchstatic: :sketchstatic: :sketchstatic:
Using Sketchup Pro 2019

seasdes 

Postby Gaieus » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:58 am

RickW wrote:It should stay in the Tools folder.

I left a copy there...
Any messages in the Ruby Console?

Nope.
Gaieus 

Postby Gaieus » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:23 pm

Okay, I have figured it out.

On my "European" keyboard layout the decimal separator is comma. All the sizes appear with commas except the max wall thicknes which is separated bz a dot (period / full stop - call it as you wish) by default in the webdialog. If I manually change that to a comma, the script works.

I guess this will be an issue with other localisations, too.
_______

Now I will get into the translation at last.
Gaieus 

Postby RickW » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:17 pm

Gai,

Glad you figured that out. I'll have to make some notes for using it and humbly ask the great volunteers who helped with the dialog to help once again with translating the documents.

Thanks,

RickW 

Postby thinkbuild » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:35 pm

Dear Rick -

I haven't downloaded W4 yet (but I will soon) and I was just thinking - I've got a small project in Sweden, and there, we have triple-glazed windows. Do you think it would be possible to add an option, "# of panes of glass"? In Germany, we also use double-glazing and so on...I was thinking, I could perhaps just make a "thick" single pane but there might be situations in which it would be useful to model the "real" situation...

I imagine it might at some point get a bit much, but since you are already working at such a high level of detail...

Just a thought.

best wishes,

Jason

thinkbuild 

Postby david_h » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:03 pm

RICK. I just purchased and am using it. It is awesome. Anyway to put it in a context menu rather than the pull down?

It's much more friendlier that way> . . . :mrgreen:
If I make it look easy. . .then it probably is.
david_h 
Top SketchUcator

Postby cheffey » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:18 pm

I just purchased it as well, and that's my only request is to add to a right-click dialog as David mentions.
Works flawless though, going to be such a time saver.

cheffey 

Postby chango70 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:11 pm

Rick I can't get it to work for some reason. I've unzipped everything into the plugins folder. When I use the Windowizer4 dialogue it creates a single group. Am I doing something wrong?
Windowizer4 Question.jpg

chango70 

Postby utiler » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:17 am

Thanks so much Rick, bought it and loving it!!!

A few questions:
1. Great to see it cuts both faces; when deleting a window, the hole still remains. Is this normal? I just assumes that the whole window would act like a component but it appears that the opening is separate from the window [if grouped]...
2. When extracting Windowizer4, i over-road a few rubies, I assume were part of windowizer30b5. Which files do I delete from the plugins folder that are only associated with windowizer30b5? I want to get rid of what i don't need...
3. Color selection - there is 7 options for coloring both the frame and glass, is there a way to access the materials palette?

Way 8-)
purpose/expression/purpose/....
utiler 
Top SketchUcator

Postby RickW » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:56 am

chango70 wrote:Rick I can't get it to work for some reason. I've unzipped everything into the plugins folder. When I use the Windowizer4 dialogue it creates a single group. Am I doing something wrong?

For metric, you need a dot between the number and the units, i.e. 50.mm

Hope that helps.

EDIT: I looked again at the image you posted. My first answer is still correct, but I see something I need to try to fix for default metric users: the default settings are 2" and 4", which are being converted to '~51mm' and '~102mm' without the dot, so that's my problem to fix. But, at least there's an easy workaround - make sure there's a dot. ;)

Thanks for making me aware of that issue.
Last edited by RickW on Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

RickW 

Postby RickW » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:05 am

utiler wrote:Thanks so much Rick, bought it and loving it!!!

A few questions:
1. Great to see it cuts both faces; when deleting a window, the hole still remains. Is this normal? I just assumes that the whole window would act like a component but it appears that the opening is separate from the window [if grouped]...
2. When extracting Windowizer4, i over-road a few rubies, I assume were part of windowizer30b5. Which files do I delete from the plugins folder that are only associated with windowizer30b5? I want to get rid of what i don't need...
3. Color selection - there is 7 options for coloring both the frame and glass, is there a way to access the materials palette?

Way 8-)

Glad you're happy with it! :D

1. Yes, the hole becomes part of the geometry of the model, just as if you had created the hole manually and then put a window in it (since components only auto-cut a hole in one face, it was the only way to penetrate a wall). I haven't yet decided the best way to handle deleting the windows yet. Part of the challenge is that things can be edited, and there's no guarantees of what geometry should stay or go.
  2. You can probably safely delete "EntsGetAtt.rb" (or move it to a subfolder to make sure everything else still works, prior to deleting it)
  3. Windowizer can currently only access the materials in the model. I know it's a pain, but you'll need to paint something with the materials you want to use before they'll show up in the list. I haven't given up, though - I'm still investigating how to get to the material palettes.
Last edited by RickW on Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RickW 

Postby RickW » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:08 am

David_H wrote:RICK. I just purchased and am using it. It is awesome. Anyway to put it in a context menu rather than the pull down?

It's much more friendlier that way> . . . :mrgreen:

cheffey wrote:I just purchased it as well, and that's my only request is to add to a right-click dialog as David mentions.
Works flawless though, going to be such a time saver.

Sounds like I need to put a right-click menu item in place... :D
No problem - I'll add it to my list.

RickW 

Postby RickW » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:19 am

thinkbuild wrote:Dear Rick -

I haven't downloaded W4 yet (but I will soon) and I was just thinking - I've got a small project in Sweden, and there, we have triple-glazed windows. Do you think it would be possible to add an option, "# of panes of glass"? In Germany, we also use double-glazing and so on...I was thinking, I could perhaps just make a "thick" single pane but there might be situations in which it would be useful to model the "real" situation...

I imagine it might at some point get a bit much, but since you are already working at such a high level of detail...

Just a thought.

best wishes,

Jason

I could add that if there's enough interest. We use double-glazed windows here, too. I just arbitrarily decided (for the sake of lower poly counts, primarily) that only the outside faces of the glass would be modeled, so I use 1" thick glass (which in reality would be two panes of 1/4" glass with a 1/2" airspace) for my models. The only other option right now is zero-thickness glass, which will draw a single face only. But, like I said, if there's enough interest, I could add it.

RickW 

Postby RickW » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:23 am

Any suggestions for the Visual Reference PDF?

I wanted everything to be clear and easily cross-referenced, but it's possible I missed something. Is there anything that is not explained well enough?

Also, if there's any feedback on the new Window Styles feature, I'd be glad to hear it. I'm still developing the Styles Manager (including rename/delete/import/export), so if you have any suggestions, now is the time. :)

Thanks, everyone!

RickW 

Postby utiler » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:40 am

There is one thing I thought about to do with the dialogue box, Rick....
You have a 'mullion width' and 'mullion height' input. I worked out that one is for horizontal and the other is for vertical sizes. I thought is would be easier to differentiate Mullions from Transom; as they are know in building terms. It would also mean changing the input mode as well for 'Vertical panels' and 'Horizontal panels' to say 'number of mullions' and 'number of transoms" but maybe you have travelled to far down the road with the script to go back and change this..... just a thought, would make it easier to understand.
utiler 
Top SketchUcator

Postby RickW » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:47 am

I could change "vertical panes" and "horizontal panes" back to "rows" and "columns", which is the terminology I used previously. Changing mullion height to transom height isn't a big deal as it only affects the dialog and the documentation. Thanks for the comments.

RickW 

Postby utiler » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:12 am

Cheers Rick.

BTW, any plans for a doorizer? would be real handy to keep it 'in house'..... :thumb:
utiler 
Top SketchUcator

Postby chango70 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:37 am

RickW wrote:
chango70 wrote:Rick I can't get it to work for some reason. I've unzipped everything into the plugins folder. When I use the Windowizer4 dialogue it creates a single group. Am I doing something wrong?

For metric, you need a dot between the number and the units, i.e. 50.mm

Hope that helps.

EDIT: I looked again at the image you posted. My first answer is still correct, but I see something I need to try to fix for default metric users: the default settings are 2" and 4", which are being converted to '~51mm' and '~102mm' without the dot, so that's my problem to fix. But, at least there's an easy workaround - make sure there's a dot. ;)

Thanks for making me aware of that issue.

Hi Rick. Thanks for the quick reply. I still have the same problem this morning after following your instructions. I'll post an image when I have time.

chango70 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Next

Return to Developers' Forum