Tiny House Attempt

Tiny House Attempt

Postby Mike Lucey » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:24 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm resurrecting this post as I'm currently designing a Tiny House for a client/friend.

Tiny House Design Pic.jpeg

The regulations for in-situ Tiny Houses here in Ireland are far more strict than they are in the UK. In the UK it seems a Tiny House is classified as a caravan but here in Ireland it falls under the domestic structure category with all the building regs that entails. I suppose I could put it on wheels!

Still, my initial attempt is, I feel, more in keeping with the Tiny House ethos and I'll push as far as I can until I reach a brick wall. It's the Fire Regs that are sticky but from past experience I have learned that if its possible to meet or possibly surpass the regs by other means it might be a flier.

The areas of contention are the sleeping loft head room and the short (overall) run of the stairs with its single foot area per step/thread. I've used this type of stair design before for loft storage entry. Once the user gets used to them they work fine.

The HWB/Shower/WC Pod construction should be fun but the upside is that one can soak their feet while on the WC ;)

I'm attaching a short video of the initial design, warts and all for comments, here. https://youtu.be/Nh1LWAkVwEI

Mike
Mike Lucey 
Mayor

Re: Tiny House Attempt

Postby L i am » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:09 pm

Hey Mike please check your Youtube settings. It says your video is private

L i am 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Mike Lucey » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:12 pm

Hi Liam,

I changed the YouTube video to Public. Hope it works.

Mike
Mike Lucey 
Mayor

Postby boofredlay » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:30 pm

Nice presentation and design Mike.
boofredlay 
Global Moderator

Postby Joe Wood » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:45 am

That's a nice presentation MIke!

give any thought about ridge and soffit vents?
Joe Wood
woodsshop.com/
Joe Wood 

Postby Mike Lucey » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:58 pm

Thanks for showing your interest guys, much appreciated.

Joe, good point. However I'm now looking at the possibility of a mono truss type construction. This would serve two purposes, elimination of fascia/soffite and allow for a single material for roof and walls. Not sure, yet about which sheeting material to use yet, ideally it would need to be able to take a 45 degree bend. Timber ventilation would then be from the base (wall) to the ridge with vents positioned there.
Mono Truss.jpg
Mike Lucey 
Mayor

Postby Mike Lucey » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:40 pm

.... still playing with the tiny house design. I've eliminated the Velux windows also the eaves on the current design iteration and am looking at corrugated bitumen sheeting. I've sourced a manufacturer that produces sheets and accessories from 100% recycled materials, so that's a plus.

Revised Tiny House Design.jpeg
Mike Lucey 
Mayor

Postby Mike Amos » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:55 am

A very interesting project, not easy are they? I found flat or very slightly sloping roof's work best for volume/footprint usage.

The alternate one foot steps have been used in boats and loft extensions for a long while but they would take some getting used to. Step off with the left foot and it's a LONG first step.

Solar or sun tubes are unlikely for this type of design which is a nuisance, they can liberate a lot of natural light and improve the feel of a home. A cupola type of unit perhaps?

Mike Amos 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Mike Lucey » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:23 pm

Yes Mike, I'm finding the project very interesting.

The stairs is tricky to get right. My proposed ground floor to bottom of floor joists will be 2.1m (approx 7'0"). I will expose the floor joists in order to give the impression of more height. The rise per step will be approx 230mm a shade over the normally allowed maximum in standard dwellings (225mm).

Sleeping Loft Stairs.jpeg

I've used this type of stairs on a few attic conversions in the past and once the occupier gets used to them they work fine. I have included two hand rails which wrap around the 1st floor partition. These should help to make the stairs safer to use.
Mike Lucey 
Mayor

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Corner Bar