SketchUp 2018

General discussion related to SketchUp Pro and Make

SketchUp 2018

Postby juju » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:29 pm

Does anyone have the ETA for SketchUp 2018? SU2017 was released 7 November 2016, so I'm guessing any time in the next month probably...
Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.
juju 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: SketchUp 2018

Postby cotty » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:21 pm

You will never get such a date because it's against Trimbles philosophy. Extrapolated from the past few year, it will probably be released before 2019...
cotty 
Top SketchUcator

Postby filibis » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:00 pm

According to this article: Release Notes

SketchUp 2017 : November 07, 2016
SketchUp 2016 : November 17, 2015
SketchUp 2015 : November 03, 2014

Simple arithmetic mean and my guess for SketchUp 2018 : November 09, 2017 :ugeek:
filibis 

Postby cotty » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:45 pm

Sorry, but it will be the 13.11.:

version18.JPG

;)
cotty 
Top SketchUcator

Postby rv1974 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:04 am

Those skp junkies hehe

rv1974 

Postby Box » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:15 am

Now that you have worked out the date, can we take bets on how many minutes after it is released that the first person will complain about it?
Box 

Postby Rich O Brien » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:13 am

2min 5 secs
There's a frontroom and a backroom....reverse faces
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby rv1974 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:28 am

I can predict main feature: brand new and awesome 8 in 201x title.

rv1974 

Postby juju » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:46 am

rv1974 wrote:I can predict main feature: brand new and awesome 8 in 201x title.

yes, but if you turn the 8 on its side it is the symbol for infinity, which is what symbolizes what you can do** with SketchUp

** as long as you keep to a fairly low poly model, properly modeled and organised
juju 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Pixero » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:52 am

I heard from a local reseller that SU 2018 would be out in november and would probably make more people happy than the last version. Sounds good...
Pixero 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby juju » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:56 am

Pixero wrote:I heard from a local reseller that SU 2018 would be out in november and would probably make more people happy than the last version. Sounds good...

I hope that there will be noteworthy features.

From the SU2018 wishlist thread, this is what I hope for:

1. I wish the layers I've set up in SU (as per the pages visibility setup) would translate verbatim to LO, which then would be able to export those (together with the additional ones created in LO) to DWG/DXF, ending up with a DWG/DXF like we're used to in the construction industry. This would probably mean a better layer manager in LO as well.

2. I wish that LO would import DWG/DXF, without losing any information, so I can do overlays and coordinate.

There are more things, but this is at the top for me, other things I can get by with for the time being.
juju 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Pixero » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:13 am

As I rarely never uses LO I hope to see some great new SU features added.
Pixero 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Hieru » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:16 am

So, it won't be long until we find out if Trimble have decided to shift to a subscription model.
Hieru 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby juju » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:18 am

Hieru wrote:So, it won't be long until we find out if Trimble have decided to shift to a subscription model.

If that is the case, it would be sad indeed. I detest subscription software.
juju 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Hieru » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:47 pm

Same here. I just hope that there was a strong negative response to their questionnaire and have decided to leave things as they are for now.
Hieru 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Pixero » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:11 pm

Same with me.
I think Affinity Photo is a great example of a new pro app that succeeds without subscription.
And even makes that a great selling point compared to competition (Adobe).
Pixero 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Ben Ritter » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:29 pm

Hieru wrote:So, it won't be long until we find out if Trimble have decided to shift to a subscription model.

But isn't it already, since Trimble would like an additional $120/year to maintain support and future updates?

Ben Ritter 

Postby juju » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:38 pm

Ben Ritter wrote:

But isn't it already, since Trimble would like an additional $120/year to maintain support and futurew updates?

No. The current licence is perpetual, maintenance and support is to enable you to upgrade to newer versions within that period. You can keep on using your latst version until such time as other factors force you to upgrade or abandon.
juju 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Ben Ritter » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:43 pm

juju wrote:
Ben Ritter wrote:

But isn't it already, since Trimble would like an additional $120/year to maintain support and futurew updates?

No. The current licence is perpetual, maintenance and support is to enable you to upgrade to newer versions within that period. You can keep on using your latst version until such time as other factors force you to upgrade or abandon.

So for maintain maintenance and support, you still have to pay for major upgrades?

Ben Ritter 

Postby slbaumgartner » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:12 pm

The main difference in a subscription scheme is that if you let your subscription lapse, the software ceases to run at all! In SketchUp's permanent license scheme you just lose support and upgrade to the next version. The software continues to run as is. As a result, there are a lot of people out there still using (for example) SketchUp v8 because it was the last version without the no-commercial-use restriction in the license for free/Make.

I also despise subscription licensed software. From what I can see it is nothing more than a mechanism to keep sucking money out of your wallet even if they have added/fixed nothing that affects you. The big guys went to this when it became apparent that people were no longer slavishly updating to every new release - because the vendors ran out of new things to add that were valuable to more than a specialized subgroup of users, or started making changes that were just "tomayto" vs "tomahto".

Frankly, there are enough long-outstanding bugs in SketchUp that the team could work on them to make a new release without adding any more features at all!

slbaumgartner 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Hieru » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:30 pm

I've just received my annual Maintenance and Support notice, so it looks like Trimble decided against a subscription model...for now.
Hieru 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby juju » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:14 pm

The anticipation is killing me, so close yet so far (but imminent).

C'mon SketchUp (Trimble), release SU2018 into the wild - you know you want to. :P
Last edited by juju on Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
juju 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Rich O Brien » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:28 pm

it'll creep up on you when you least expect it.
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby grabuge » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:47 pm

I'm sad, I had bet on last monday ! Can't wait for it either. Hope it will be next monday...

grabuge 

Postby JQL » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:40 pm

Ben Ritter wrote:So for maintain maintenance and support, you still have to pay for major upgrades?

If you pay your yearly maintenance and support fee you are entitled to all the major upgrades Sketchup releases as well as any maintenance release in the meantime.

I'd really hate Sketchup to be turned into a subscription.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby rogalxxx » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:33 am

The 2 and 3 year old S&M will be gone next monday (13th). this might be a release date for 2018.

rogalxxx 

Postby derei » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:03 pm

JQL wrote:
Ben Ritter wrote:I'd really hate Sketchup to be turned into a subscription.

Subscription will kill software.

There was MS Office, now there is Libre Office and WPS Office
There was Photoshop, now is Affinity Photo (which accepts Photoshop plugins, by the way)
... and many more.
I said "was" because the more people go into this new software, the less popular the giants will become.

So, for each crazy priced (and subscription based) software, there are smart people to make a cheaper (and many times better) alternative, so the giants will have a fair competition.
I just hope SketchUp won't go that path, but mostly for nostalgia, because anytime someone else can come out with a better option...
DESIGNER AND ARTIST DEREI.UK
derei 

Postby Rich O Brien » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:05 pm

derei wrote: now is Affinity Photo (which accepts Photoshop plugins, by the way)
... and many more.

I did not know that!
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby derei » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:41 am

Rich O Brien wrote:
derei wrote: now is Affinity Photo (which accepts Photoshop plugins, by the way)
... and many more.

I did not know that!

I'm sure you are impressed by the price too... and by the way, it does if not all, at least most operations non-destructive (eg. resizing layers). I started using it, but I have to check some tutorials, to get the workflow better.
Some say that in certain aspects is rather slow (raw processing), but the software is not that old overall (two years).
DESIGNER AND ARTIST DEREI.UK
derei 

Postby chrisjk » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:09 am

SU 2018 appears to be available in Oz.

http://www.sketchupaustralia.com.au/sketchup-pro-2018/

Dunno if this is spoof or real...
Chris

chrisjk 
Premium Member
Premium Member

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts