The "Duh!" thread (aka the Doh! thread)

General discussion related to SketchUp Pro and Make

Re: The "Duh!" thread (aka the Doh! thread)

Postby rv1974 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:18 am

The Tips&Tricks thread would be a better place for this, but anyway,
In case you produce a lot of vistas:
1. Export your scenes with 'anti-aliasing off' and X2 demanded size 6000 pix wide instead of 3000 (well I'm sure you knew it already)
2. Create Photoshop droplet (File-Automate-Create Droplet; google some tutorials in your internets) from your typical actions.
For example: resize to 3000> add soft light layer> tweak it's transparency> shadows & highlights> smart sharpen> close file.
Dudes, this is HUGE time saver. Actually there's no need to manually open Photoshop anymore
Just drag & drop the folder with your pictures upon the droplet's exe icon and enjoy ;)

rv1974 

Postby pbacot » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:11 pm

Epix3d wrote:Just discovered the System settings> Open GL > Use hardware acceleration. Suddenly Sketchup looks sharp and smooth to work with. How can I have missed this before? :oops:

It "creeped -up" on me that my visual quality sucked (sketchy and disappearing lines) and I was told to look at this. It really cleared things up. At some point I had turned it off because of other graphic anomalies. So I think I will be going back and forth... :-?
MacOSX Mojave High Sierra SketchUp Pro v19 Twilight v2 Thea v2 PowerCADD
pbacot 
Top SketchUcator

Postby MikeFJaguar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:10 pm

rv1974 wrote:The 'Lock\unlock aspect ratio' at material edit drove me crazy for years.
Clicking it wont change visually its state (stupid bug!). To see it changed one should move
the cursor off the button.

This one got me very frustrated, until I discovered it's just a slooow button!
In Windows 7 at least, click the Lock/Unlock button and WAIT for a couple of seconds. Lo and behold the button icon changes!

EDIT
Hmm. I'm wrong, you're right! The cursor does need to be moved off the button. As you say, stupid bug. Perhaps I'm a stupid bug..r :oops:

MikeFJaguar 

Postby cotty » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:47 am

You can toggle the "active cut" setting of a section plane with a double click...
cotty 
Top SketchUcator

Postby d12dozr » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:03 am

cotty wrote:You can toggle the "active cut" setting of a section plane with a double click...

!!! :thumb: :bounce: :D
3D Printing with SketchUp Book
http://goo.gl/f7ooYh

d12dozr 
Top SketchUcator

Postby panixia » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:38 am

just discovered a DOH feature of the selection tool..
if you drag a selection rectangle from left to right it selects only the items completely wrapped in the rectangle, but if you drag the rectangle from right toward left,then also the items wich are only touched (but not fully wrapped) by the rectangle are selected.. never noticed it before.. :shock:
panixia 

Postby cotty » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:54 am

panixia wrote:just discovered a DOH feature of the selection tool..
if you drag a selection rectangle from left to right it selects only the items completely wrapped in the rectangle, but if you drag the rectangle from right toward left,then also the items wich are only touched (but not fully wrapped) by the rectangle are selected.. never noticed it before.. :shock:

How could you select without this? :P
(See here for details)

For complex selections, the combination with the parallel view can help a lot...
cotty 
Top SketchUcator

Postby pilou » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:57 am

And for some Selection / un-selection try some combinaisons of SHIFT and / Or CTRL ;)
Frenchy Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
Speedy Galerie
pilou 
Top SketchUcator

Postby panixia » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:20 pm

i know how to use selection and modifier, the only DOH part is about the change of behaviour from left/right direction
panixia 

Postby rv1974 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:06 pm

Say you worked in Untitled.skp and suddenly your PC crashed. To discover the unknown location of autosave file start the blank file and make 'Save': it will show the folder with autosave folder.

rv1974 

Postby Tobobo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:42 pm

I have just found by accident that you can drag nested groups and components in the outliner from one to another and it keeps its location. :o
Toby

Philippians 4:13

I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
Tobobo 

Postby thomthom » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:43 pm

Ooh! That's nice! I've never used the Outliner much, but that's a nice observation.
+1 from me!
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby TIG » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:43 pm

Yes, highlighting and moving containers within the Outliner works very much like Cut+PasteInPlace when you move groups/instances between 'parents' - just MUCH easier...
It's also a useful way to open a nested container for editing, just find it 'by name' in the Outliner [benefit of naming sensibly!] and then select it and double-click it; and it's also best if View > Component Edit > Hide Rest of Model is toggled ON so you can see what you are doing [a shortcut-key to toggle this is de riguer]...
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby brodie » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:45 am

Just found a new one. You can copy a line over and type 10', then, after hitting enter you can type /10 to get 10 equally spaced lines.

I have been doing that as two separate functions forever (copying the line 10' to get the spacing right then copying it back and snapping it to the other line 10' away and THEN hitting /10).

-Brodie
brodie 
Top SketchUcator

Postby pilou » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:55 am

... and if you are not satisfy you can continue "*" "/" with any unity even different than settings untill taking another tool! :)
Frenchy Pilou
Speedy Galerie
pilou 
Top SketchUcator

Postby arail1 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:17 pm

panixia wrote:just discovered a DOH feature of the selection tool..

This is important to know also because it's one of the few things that tends to be consistent across most 3D software applications.
arail1 

Postby MikeFJaguar » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:03 pm

Ctrl (in Windows) while orbiting lets me turn my model every which way! Fairly useless as an architectural user but a boon for modellers who make widgets. Doh!

MikeFJaguar 

Postby Gaieus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:34 pm

That's a "designed feature": Suspending the gravity setting
Gaieus 

Postby mitcorb » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:50 pm

Sort of bootleg Camera Roll. I have used it to get a particular position for precise selection in a busy model. Of course, you could just do a bunch of layering and hiding to avoid this need altogether.
I take the slow, deliberate approach in my aimless wandering.
mitcorb 
Top SketchUcator

Postby olishea » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:05 pm

Gaieus wrote:That's a "designed feature": Suspending the gravity setting

I use it for portrait-orientated renders...very useful.
oli
olishea 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Wo3Dan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:27 pm

MikeFJaguar wrote:Ctrl (in Windows) while orbiting lets me turn my model every which way! Fairly useless as an architectural user but ......... Doh!

Rolling the camera (by holding down [Ctrl] when orbiting), to position your model in such a way on screen sometimes helps in order to have the selection window enclose what you want it to select. With gravity ON you might not be able to make that special selection.
Wo3Dan 
Top SketchUcator

Postby pilou » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:50 pm

...and when you Press the SpaceBar that stop it vigorously! :mrgreen:

Frenchy Pilou
Speedy Galerie
pilou 
Top SketchUcator

Postby porch_unplugged » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:49 pm

Gaieus wrote:That's a "designed feature": Suspending the gravity setting

ugh, i think i just made myself travel sick trying that out.
porch_unplugged 

Postby porch_unplugged » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:55 pm

if you are trying to draw something small and the clipping plane is getting in the way, change to parallel projection view.
porch_unplugged 

Postby thomthom » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:42 pm

I often find I get clipping issues more quickly with parallel view...
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby brodie » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:06 am

I'm on board with the parallel projection. I find that when you initially change to PP you'll get some bad clipping, but if you select your geometry and then zoom extents the clipping goes away and you can zoom in as much as you want.

-Brodie
brodie 
Top SketchUcator

Postby valerostudio » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:01 pm

Left, Right, Up arrows lock the Red Green Blue Axis when using move! How did it take me 7 years to figure this one out!

valerostudio 

Postby gilles » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:30 pm

" c'est curieux chez les marins ce besoin de faire des phrases "
gilles 
Top SketchUcator

Postby valerostudio » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:40 pm

There's a manual? ;)

valerostudio 

Postby Wo3Dan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:06 pm

gilles wrote:Seven years!

You should read the manual, just in case. :D

http://support.google.com/sketchup/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=94862&topic=2458142&ctx=topic

Useful reading but here it lacks the information about how to use :move: to rotate a group or component accurately according to the current drawing axes system with angle input.
Also I couldn't find anything about moving vertices. And even more, while doing so, how to lock moving a vertex to its own edge's direction. (=hover over the edge first, press [Shift], only then move the vertex)
Wo3Dan 
Top SketchUcator

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

PreviousNext

Return to SketchUp Pro & Make Discussions