SketchUp and Dual Core Processors?

General discussion related to SketchUp

SketchUp and Dual Core Processors?

Postby manofskill » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:19 am

I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz and I usually never max out my cpu with SketchUp. Until today when I was dealing with exploding 100,000+ edges. After giving the explode command and waiting for a minute I checked my task manager and found that SketchUp was only using one of my two processors (50% capacity). This was very disappointing to me as my second processor was doing nothing and at an idle. I even checked to make sure the processor affinity for sketchup.exe was set up for both processors and it was correct. The explode took about 20 minutes to complete.

Is SketchUp programed to take advantage of a system with a multi-core processor? Or is it something I need to tweak on my system? How about for Mac OS X?

I would dearly love things to happen twice as fast if in fact SketchUp has been using only one processor this whole time. Also, I would put multi-core processing at the very top of my SketchUp 7 wish list.

ManOfSkill
http://SketchyQuestions.blogspot.com
Ask about SketchUp: SketchyQuestions.com

manofskill 

Re: SketchUp and Dual Core Processors?

Postby Chris Fullmer » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:28 am

Correct, SU will not take advantage of multiple processors. Programs have to be specially designed to do this. Many programs will not.

I have a quad core and what I love is that I can run multiple version of SU simultaneously quite smoothly. So I can be working in one model, rendering videos in 2 other windows, and running photoshop all at the same time perfectly smoothly.

But I agree its a pity that SU doesn't take advantage of multiple processors.

Chris
Lately you've been tan, suspicious for the winter.
All my Plugins I've written
Chris Fullmer 
SketchUp Team
SketchUp Team

Re: SketchUp and Dual Core Processors?

Postby thomthom » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:42 pm

Not all applications can make use of multiple processes. Some have to work linear.
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to SketchUp Discussions