SketchUp 2019 release

General discussion related to SketchUp Pro and Make

Your opinion on posts / posting about the latest release of SketchUp.

Poll runs till Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:10 pm

I'm new to SketchUp and am unsure when new releases are due.
No votes
I'm sticking to version 8 free for commercial use.
2%
I'm using an earlier version of SketchUp and am not in the market to upgrade.
3%
I'm using SketchUp Free (online) and should always be up to date.
No votes
I'm using SketchUp Shop (online) and should always be up to date.
3%
I'm a little disappointed with SketchUp's updates over the last years and am somewhat reserved thus.
55%
I've moved to other 3D software am just checking in here from time to time.
3%
I'm too busy to wonder about the latest release.
9%
I'm excited but am just not making a fuss about it.
16%
I'm bound by NDA's and dare not be in the same neighbourhood as discussions about new releases.
9%

Total votes : 64

SketchUp 2019 release

Postby juju » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:10 pm

CLICKBAIT! Just kidding...

Normally I would have seen a number of posts / threads related to the release of the latest version by this time, seeing that historically the new version is released somewhere in November (first half IIRC).

This year, I'm not seeing that. What are your thoughts on this?
Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.
juju 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: SketchUp 2019 release

Postby kaas » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:10 pm

I chose 'too busy' which is true but to be honest - I'm not expecting much for 2019. I'm more concerned Trimble is putting too much effort & resources into a web version and that - at some point - they will force pro users also over to the web.

It's mostly the plugin developers that keep to surprise me.

kaas 

Postby sfto1 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:35 pm

Sketch 2018 was released Nov 14
SU 2017 Nov 7
SU 2016 Nov17

Were close juju. Hang in there!
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby nlipovac » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:27 pm

I had big hopes for 2018 and for this one I turned them off. I guess some kind of auto UV for unreal and similar real-time engines would be great, but honestly, I do not see what they can get new that we do not have a plugin for.

nlipovac 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby srx » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:32 pm

As for me, Sketchup has it all (with plugins). It just needs much better engine to handle high polygon models, real curves, and auto UV.
www.saurus.rs
srx 

Postby Calstock » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:59 pm

I'm a huge fan of Sketchup, always have the latest edition and use it professionally for my garden design works. However, the "updates" in recent years have been seriously underwhelming and not something worthy of much anticipation. If they brought out some cool new features for 2019, that would be great, but I'm not expecting much.

Calstock 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby rv1974 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:19 pm

Hehe.. A week ago I wondered where is Juju with his heart scratching post about 2019

rv1974 

Postby Mike Amos » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:29 am

I still use 2017 and really could care less about 2019. I do however understand the logic behind the decision to drop Make and cannot blame them for the direction they are going. With the increasing likelihood of future applications being cloud based we are going into territory full of potential AND threats.
Partial migration is a possible direction but what to is the question.

Mike Amos 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby L i am » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:41 am

I never felt oh wow, this version is so much better than the previous. I honestly could not care less about 2019, I dont see what the fuss is about and never have to be honest.

L i am 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby HornOxx » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:33 pm

;) not even the formerly typical but unfortunately mostly so useless however "Wish List for SU 20xx" threads I've noticed this time (maybe just overlooked?) - I'd be glad if at least the one or the other ancient childhood disease would be fixed by now ...
HornOxx 

Postby juju » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:23 pm

I'm guessing new release won't be today then? Probably not tomorrow either (being the 13th of the month and all the superstition that goes along with that)...
juju 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pbacot » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:00 pm

I chose "too busy" but the truth is I would be entertained learning about new software, and I certainly have time to check in here regularly--so I probably should have chosen "disappointed" . Not expecting to see anything of interest and not worrying about it. If I need improvements badly enough, I'll just have to learn other software.
MacOSX (El Capitan) ShetchUp Pro v16 Layout Twilight Pro v2 M2 Kerkythea PowerCADD
pbacot 
Top SketchUcator

Postby ccaponigro » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:00 am

I really liked the improvements in the last release. I am also looking forward to the next one. The improvements to reports and section fills were right in my wheel house.
cfcaia.com
ccaponigro 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby juju » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:46 pm

sfto1 wrote:Were close juju. Hang in there!

hanging in there.jpg
juju 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby sfto1 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:45 pm

juju, That's hilarious. It's like I'm looking in a mirror!
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby c3dx » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:17 am

I hope they could become multi core or use the graphic card more so it can react a way much faster with big scene

c3dx 

Postby slbaumgartner » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:27 pm

c3dx wrote:I hope they could become multi core or use the graphic card more so it can react a way much faster with big scene

The multi-core idea has been discussed lots of times before, with technical explanations of why it is not feasible. So, don't hold your breath!

slbaumgartner 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Khai » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:32 pm

slbaumgartner wrote:
c3dx wrote:I hope they could become multi core or use the graphic card more so it can react a way much faster with big scene

The multi-core idea has been discussed lots of times before, with technical explanations of why it is not feasible. So, don't hold your breath!

same for 64bi.....hold on a minute!!!!

Khai 

Postby dtrarch » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:51 am

I updated to 2018 pro and what a PIA to re-install all the plugins. :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:
Never bothered to install and use 2017 pro.
How about a real value update please :?:

dtr Architect

dtrarch 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby juju » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:33 pm

I can't seem to connect to any of the official SketchUp pages (main page, EW, forum)...

Update methinks!!! :D

+++ edit +++

False alarm...

Sorry...
juju 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby slbaumgartner » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:05 pm

Khai wrote:
slbaumgartner wrote:

same for 64bi.....hold on a minute!!!!

A wholly different issue. 64-bit was always possible, just for some reason they avoided it for a long time. Despite years of trying, nobody has been able to implement any interactive geometry editor that is multi-core capable (subsidiary tasks can be spun off to another core, but the heart of the editor can't).

slbaumgartner 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Khai » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:10 pm

*whooooooshhhhhh*
The sound of a joke going overhead...

Khai 

Postby Derek Edison » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:04 pm

I see there was a maintenance release for MAC users on the 12th. Maybe that was it?

https://help.sketchup.com/en/release-notes-0

Hope you got a lot of support this year because you sure didn't get any maintenance for your $120 per license.

Derek Edison 

Postby juju » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:19 pm

Derek Edison wrote:I see there was a maintenance release for MAC users on the 12th. Maybe that was it?

Nah, that wasn't it. Curious how a maintenance release would be rolled so close to traditional new version releases.

Derek Edison wrote:Hope you got a lot of support this year because you sure didn't get any maintenance for your $120 per license.

The less said the better.
juju 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby CL » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:27 pm

Doesn't being bound by an NDA mean that even adding your vote here mean you have broken the NDA by acknowledging it's existence.

CL 

Postby Pistol_Peto » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:05 pm

The last four releases were either on a Monday or a Tuesday... so most likely early next week?

Pistol_Peto 

Postby sfto1 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:45 pm

Pistol_Peto wrote:The last four releases were either on a Monday or a Tuesday... so most likely early next week?

That would be nice.
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pbacot » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:02 pm

CL wrote:Doesn't being bound by an NDA mean that even adding your vote here mean you have broken the NDA by acknowledging it's existence.

It's safe for anyone to assume there will be a 2019 version, based on the past. No one knows when it will come out.
MacOSX (El Capitan) ShetchUp Pro v16 Layout Twilight Pro v2 M2 Kerkythea PowerCADD
pbacot 
Top SketchUcator

Postby ntxdave » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:54 pm

Pistol_Peto wrote:The last four releases were either on a Monday or a Tuesday... so most likely early next week?

Since there is a holiday next week in that U.S., I am guessing it will not be until at least the week after. :D
ntxdave 

Postby Dave R » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:33 pm

Derek Edison wrote:I see there was a maintenance release for MAC users on the 12th. Maybe that was it?

That was an update for Mojave users.
%

(THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

M30

%
Dave R 
Global Moderator

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine