How to perfectly map this chair?

General discussion related to SketchUp Pro and Make

How to perfectly map this chair?

Postby cuttingedge » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:12 pm

I have downloaded a real nice vintage chair but wonder how I could map it with this material that looks like bronze with all the dark spots in the recessed areas.
CHAIR VINTAGE1.png

CHAIR VINTAGE.png

cuttingedge 

Re: How to perfectly map this chair?

Postby oceanembers » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:15 pm

UV unwrap (there are some plugins for it, but I'd suggest just taking it to blender to do it), take the UV mapped model into xnormal (another free tool) to generate an ambient occlusion map, then take a bronze texture into an image editing program (GIMP is a good one - also free), put the ambient occlusion map on a multiply layer above the bronze texture and adjust the opacity to your liking. Finally, reimport the UV mapped chair into sketchup, create a material with the new ambient occlusion/bronze texture, and apply it to the group.

Basically it's quite a lot of work. Anybody got a less convoluted idea?
oceanembers 

Postby cuttingedge » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:29 am

oceanembers wrote:Basically it's quite a lot of work. Anybody got a less convoluted idea?

Thanks there oceanembers.. yep that's exactly what Im looking for- to UV map and add AO map...My dream is one day be able to do all this within sketchup. Yes indeed it's a lot of work...coz I got a whole lot of vintage furniture to do..

cuttingedge 

Postby fredo6 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:14 am

cuttingedge wrote:...My dream is one day be able to do all this within sketchup. Yes indeed it's a lot of work...coz I got a whole lot of vintage furniture to do..

Did you have a look at WrapR?
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Anne O Grady » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:02 am

Anne O Grady 

Postby oceanembers » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:57 am

fredo6 wrote:
cuttingedge wrote:...My dream is one day be able to do all this within sketchup. Yes indeed it's a lot of work...coz I got a whole lot of vintage furniture to do..

Did you have a look at WrapR?

I haven't looked at UV mapping within sketchup in a long time, it always used to be a bit unwieldy. Would you recommend using this over exporting and doing it in another program?
oceanembers 

Postby Rich O Brien » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:47 pm

cuttingedge wrote:Thanks there oceanembers.. yep that's exactly what Im looking for- to UV map and add AO map...My dream is one day be able to do all this within sketchup. Yes indeed it's a lot of work...coz I got a whole lot of vintage furniture to do..

When you get the UVs out it is straight forward to get the AO, Curvature and Cavity maps using a myriad of apps.

But the input mesh for unwrapping is key to successful unwraps. Too dense and it becomes a nightmare. Too little and the additional map baking is not getting the desired output.
There's a frontroom and a backroom....reverse faces
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to SketchUp Pro & Make Discussions